The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Single channel pre choices to go through Clarett converters
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Single channel pre choices to go through Clarett converters

Hi guys, I have a Clarett at home but desire a single channel preamp for tracking /overdubs that isn't so clean. I like the Clarett's conversion but think I could do better for a preamp with "character."

That being said, I want to keep it in the $500 to $600 range here in Canada. I was going to read through threads to see what I could find, but decided just to start a new thread to centralize the info.

Some options I'm thinking about: ISA One, Black Lion B12a or B173. I really don't know what else to look at in this price range, though.

I also have a Soyuz Launcher coming in for home use, so that might add enough character to the Clarett pres. Additionally, the Launcher boosts the gain by 26 dB going into the preamp, so that could help with noise in the Clarett pres. So maybe it would be fine to stick with the Clarett pres+Launcher combo.

One more thing: Do I just use the line-in when running a preamp into the Clarett interface? I've never used an external pre with an interface. This should be fine, right?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
bjg
Here for the gear

I got a Warm TB 12 for this exact purpose and I love it. It can do anything from clean to saturated and sounds great on every source I've put it through. Only thing is: there is a lot of switches/options on it, so it took me a little while to feel like I really knew the hardware and how to get the most out of it. Its definitely API flavored, so as long as you like that sound - that's my recommendation.

As for routing and setup: all you need to do is run a TRS cable from the preamp-out to the TRS in on any of inputs on the Clarett. I reached out to Focusrite about this a while back and they confirmed*that the XLR part of the combi-jacks goes through additional circuitry that the TRS input doesnt, and to use the TRS input for the most transparent signal (effectively a direct in with a super clean variable gain stage). On my unit, unity gain on the Clarett is around 9:00 on the preamp gain. A simple way to test this is to set up a plugin chain that goes signal generator > level meter > I/O plugin going through one of your Clarett channels > level meter - then simply adjust the preamp input on the clarett so the two level meters are hitting the same db. I've done a million a/b tests and the signal loss is through the Clarett's ad/da conversion is virtually imperceptible when set up this way. Also; the added benefit of having a variable gain stage to your direct ins is that you can crank the output of a piece of hardware then pad it cleanly before it hits the converters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bought a TB12 for the same reason as well. I use mine with a Klark Teknik KT-2a and really like this chain.

A couple of other options are the Cranborne Audio Camden and Audient ASP800. The Camden is a 500 series preamp so you would need to buy a 500 series rack but this may put the price over your budget in Canada. However, the Mojo circuit really sounds wonderful and adds more character than any preamp I've heard.

The Audient ASP is also capable of adding some nice character to the sound with the HMX and Iron circuits. It also offers the best value for money here as you get two Retro channels with the HMX and Iron circuits plus an extra six channels of high quality preamps and excellent A/D converters!

I am looking to add a couple more channels here at my studio and if budget wasn't tight I would get a Cranborne Camden EC2 (two channel unit) but considering how good the Audient ASP800 already is and how much it offers for the money I would personally find it hard to justify the extra cost for what I'm doing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If it were me I'd go with a Seventh Circle Audio One Shot PC01. You can get them fully assembled $470-$600.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search