The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help choosing a mixer for techno play
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Help choosing a mixer for techno play

I play and compose techno. My current gear is: Roland TR8S, Korg Volca Sample and PO-35 Speak. I don't own a mixer of any kind yet so what would you recommend to buy. It would be for home and live playing and I would like it to have some room for new gear.

I'm a complete beginner but I would like something better than beginner level mixer. Something that I don't need to replace before my synths and all are worth over 2000-3000$. I've heard a lot of good about Mackie's mixers but which one? Price category 100-400$ if possible.

My problem with mixers is that I have no idea what I actually need. Like it seems that all mixers advertise that they have good mic ports etc. and I'm not planning to use even a single microphone. I'm a missing something or looking at wrong kind of mixers?

Then how many channels do I need? I know the TR8S have many outputs but do I need them all in the mixer. If I get few synths more is 8 channels enough or should I go straight for 16 or something?

What are the most important features for a mixer used to play techno?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm not sure if I asked something stupid or is it just that any mixer would do but some kind of an answer would be great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I had this question for a while, I think a lot of people working with electronic music do. Basically almost all mixers have a bunch of mono channel strips and a small amount of stereo inputs. Often all the fun stuff on the mixer like eq and filters are only on the mono channels. Going big just gives you more channels but with the same ratio and take up loads of space which I don't have.

I almost went with a Neve summing mixer, the 8816 which has all stereo channels, and some useful other stuff, and can add a fader box.

But I went with an SSL Six instead, which for the footprint and price has a lot of functionality. 12 inputs, lots are stereo, some great eq and compression etc. I couldn't be happier with it, and when I need more channels I might just get another one haha.

Do you use a computer with your setup? Or are you jamming without one?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm usually jamming without my computer but I do use it sometimes too. How important is it to have all stereo inputs or would a few do only used for synths etc?

SSL SiX costs way too much money for my budget. I need to remind you that I'm Finnish and the used equipment markets are quite small here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Check out A&H MixWizard line. They sound so much better than Mackie and are a good price used. The MixWiz3 came in a version with stereo inputs. They fit in a rack and are solid, pro gear. The Zed line might be of interest too but I have not used one of those myself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recently decided to try a Soundcraft FX16II when one popped up locally mint for $350. The main draw was the 16 direct outs, as I'm currently tracking into a Motu 828es expanded with an Alesis adat expander. Other than the lack of fader/knob resistance, I'm really hppy with it. Didn't need the onboard effects but they have proven to be more than adequate for what they are and am happier with them than I'd be without them.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the all the advice. I luckily found a second hand A&H ZEDi-10 FX -mixer cheap. It might get small in few years but until then it should be enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search