The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any notable punk/garage records recorded with only an SM57?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Question Any notable punk/garage records recorded with only an SM57?

Just curious. I'd love to listen to an entire record that's only recorded with the humble 57.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Couldnt be that hard to record a song that way. Make one yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Think I’d rather use a field recorder, if I wanted both cheap and suboptimal. Oh, and simple.
Old 4 weeks ago
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Emma,_Forever_Ago
That whole album was SM57 I believe. Not punk (which I'm sure there are a lot of 57/58 only recordings.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Think I’d rather use a field recorder, if I wanted both cheap and suboptimal. Oh, and simple.
Yes but the 57 has a certain sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Emma,_Forever_Ago
That whole album was SM57 I believe. Not punk (which I'm sure there are a lot of 57/58 only recordings.)
I love that album, but yeah I'm looking for some nastiness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I mastered a number of LA punk albums. They were recorded in low budget studios, but usually with various mics, a console, and an eight to twenty-four track tape machine. Home studios didn’t exist. There were probably some 57s in there, but there was usually at least one LDC, sometimes even a Neumann 87. The guys in the bands didn’t talk about tech stuff much, but some of the producers and engineers were knowledgeable about studio practices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

https://www.amazon.com/Lydon-Johnny-.../dp/B00XJQF5DY

Johnny Rotten autographed microphone. Of course I don't know if he ever used it.

His vocals were all said to be via the SM58. Of course other mics for other parts including Neumann.

Last edited by esldude; 4 weeks ago at 05:39 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That’s a $24 microphone with a very suspect signature for $400+. How can it not be a hit?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SM57's and Portastudio cassette (ignore photo showing 1" multitrack)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That’s a $24 microphone with a very suspect signature for $400+. How can it not be a hit?
You missed this part in the ebay listing.

This Microphone has been personally hand signed by John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten. The signature(s) on this product have been obtained in person and witnessed by a Score Authentics authorized Agent. Each item comes fully certified with Certificate of Authenticity issued by Score Authentics and an individually numbered tamper-evident hologram. If you're looking for just the right gift or shopping for an addition to your collection, this is an item that will surely satisfy your need for something unique! When this autographed microphone is framed and displayed, it will make a Great Conversation Piece you and your loved ones will enjoy for years to come. This item makes a unique Gift Idea and will be the highlight at any Party, Presentation or Charity Event.

What is worse is it appears one of those magic green pens used to coat the edge of CD's and improve the sound was used for the autograph.

Maybe the magic green paint pen works on microphones too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
You missed this part in the ebay listing.
[I]The signature(s) on this product have been obtained in person and witnessed by a Score Authentics authorized Agent. Each item comes fully certified with Certificate of Authenticity issued by Score Authentics and an individually numbered tamper-evident hologram.
Did you miss that the “certification” is by the seller and not by an independent agency?
Would you buy a moon rock because the seller printed his own official-looking certificate verifying that it is a moon rock?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It sounds like maybe you're looking for a punk album recorded with only one SM57. That's really unlikely, because most low-budget punk albums are/were mostly recorded live in the studio, with several mics at once and only a few overdubs. And a 57 is not great for a full band playing together recording into one mic. There are probably some recorded with multiple SM57's &/or SM58's, though. Aside from maybe wanting a different mic or a DI for the bass, it wouldn't be too tough getting a decent punk/garage record with just 57's and/or 58's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Did you miss that the “certification” is by the seller and not by an independent agency?
Would you buy a moon rock because the seller printed his own official-looking certificate verifying that it is a moon rock?
I meant for the post to be humorous. Largely because it was such a cheesy proposition and yes because it is certified as Certified by the people certifying it for sale. I guess I left off the smiley.

As I mentioned Johnny Rotten used an SM58, but other mikes were used on other parts including Neumann KM 184's I think irrc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This isn't exactly punk, but I think that that first Darwin Deez cd was recorded with an SM57.

You ought to look it up, if you like quirky and cheerful pop music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search