The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for a new mic
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Looking for a new mic

Hi!

I'm looking for a new microphone. My budget is $550.
Preferably a condenser one.
I am a tenor and I sing mostly pop.

Mics that I've had:
Rode NT1-A - a bit too harsh on the top end
Rode NT2-A - less harsh than NT1-A, but not enough
Shure SM7B - this mic is just a disaster on my voice, I spent more time on EQing vocals than the rest of the mixing process all togheter, awful mud going too thin easily when trying to reduce it.

I just want something that doesn't require ****loads of EQ to sound right. Not muddy and not too harsh. I'm lookin for a balanced condenser mic.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear
CM414 or CM48
Both from Advanced Audio. I suggest you look around that site.
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

A Neumann 102 might suit your needs very well. Relatively uncolored, neutral-ish, but not clinical, a pleasant tone.
Small mic, no frills, and prone to picking up ambient noises and rumbles in a noisy environment.
If those aren't issues for you, then it's a nice "balanced condenser mic".
Slightly over budget new, but good used ones seem to come around at or below your price. I have a pair and like the sound of them, typically on acoustic instruments and ensembles. Works well on voice, sounds "natural", better on "good" vocalists with some technique though. Then it shines. IMHO. Good luck.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
You're probably skittish on Rode by now and I don't blame you, but the Rode NT1 (not 1A) is a really nice mic. I'd also check the sE x1s, sE seems to be well underrated with their not-so-pricey mics.
Old 16th September 2019
If you cant afford a neumann like the tlm102, i strongly recommend “3u audio” mics rather than the usual suspects (rode, mxl, se, etc etc).
Email him directly via the website, tell him what youre after and you wont be disappointed (especially for the price). I have his warbler mkII (u47 type capsule and components) and i couldnt be happier. It sits beside my expensive neumanns quite happily. While its not in the same league, it definately craps on the other budget brands mentioned (and ive been through a lot of those)!
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
The Aston Starlight is an exceptionally good vocal mic, although that was not the main intent of its design. It has three response settings. The vintage setting is near perfect on a lot of singers. If you want it brighter, the modern setting is brighter, but not harsh (I am a victim of the NT-1a, so I know exactly what kind of harsh you don’t like). If you have a chance to try one, I think you will be surprised... in a good way, of course.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Warm Audio makes a bunch of mics based on classic designs. I have a pair of the 47jr's and they are great. They also make one based on an akg c 414 that you might like alot.
Old 4 weeks ago
The warm audio mics are made to their specs by 3u audio. And to be honest from what ive demoed, the 3u audio mics i like a lot more. The warm audio u47 tube mic is great, but the u47jr and wa87 just didnt cut it for me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew caramia View Post
The warm audio mics are made to their specs by 3u audio.
I’m not arguing with you, but I’m curious. Where could I verify this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would look into offerings by Lewitt. Their stuff is stupid good for the money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would look at a used AKG C414B-ULS. It's a versatile multi-pattern mic you could use on a number of sources.
Might have to raise your budget by $60 or so but it would be a good keeper mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The warm audio mics are made to their specs by 3u audio. And to be honest from what ive demoed, the 3u audio mics i like a lot more. The warm audio u47 tube mic is great, but the u47jr and wa87 just didnt cut it for me
I think most peoples issue with the 47jr is that, unlike the wa47, isnt true to the 47 fet. Its only based on it. I went into it with that in mind and I cant complain. They still sound good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I would look at a used AKG C414B-ULS. It's a versatile multi-pattern mic you could use on a number of sources.
Might have to raise your budget by $60 or so but it would be a good keeper mic.
These make great room mics for drums and horns.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I would look into offerings by Lewitt. Their stuff is stupid good for the money.
I'm in the market for a mic and leaning towards Lewitt. The LCT 440 PURE, to be specific.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Im australian, warm audio have stated a australian manufacturer makes their mics. theres only 3 mic big manufacturers over here- rode, beezneez, (naked, opr are smaller) and 3u audio. Ive owned all these brands, only 3u audio matches the same chinese quality build and similar capsules to the warm audio units. To confirm, email 3u audio, hes a friendly guy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Im australian, warm audio have stated a australian manufacturer makes their mics. theres only 3 mic big manufacturers over here- rode, beezneez, (naked, opr are smaller) and 3u audio. Ive owned all these brands, only 3u audio matches the same chinese quality build and similar capsules to the warm audio units. To confirm, email 3u audio, hes a friendly guy.
OK, you are making that connection based on what you see, not on an email you have or a document you have read.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm also very curious about this... I've read rumors about 3U making Warm's capsules here on GS but I've never seen any actual documentation or verification to that effect.

I live in Austin, close to Warm HQ, so there are no shortage of Warm products around me to rent, buy, or borrow... so I probably should, just for grins. I've heard the WA47 is a very good mic, people seem hot or cold on most of the others. Their preamps get mixed reviews from buddies of mine: some love them, others are seriously underwhelmed.

But I'm really, really intrigued by 3U Audio. They seem to be universally beloved for being so affordable, I like what I've heard about the guy in charge of it, and if the reviews are true, then they really are making really solid capsules and mics, they just happen to be doing it in China. I got no problem with that if they're genuinely good, and it sounds like they are.

Quote:
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
OK, you are making that connection based on what you see, not on an email you have or a document you have read.
as i said there is only 3 manufacturers in australia and its definately not beezneez or rode... you dont have to be a genius to figure it out, especially when you look inside.
Warm have stated their mics are of chinese manufacture by an australian company, of which there is only one- 3u audio. Beezneez and rode only manufacture in australia, including their capsules.
But like i said, email the man himself if youre interested, hes a great guy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
as i said there is only 3 manufacturers in australia and its definately not beezneez or rode... you dont have to be a genius to figure it out, especially when you look inside.
Warm have stated their mics are of chinese manufacture by an australian company, of which there is only one- 3u audio. Beezneez and rode only manufacture in australia, including their capsules.
But like i said, email the man himself if youre interested, hes a great guy.
You already answered my question about documentation. If there is a really great guy in Australia who could verify your deductive theory, you could ask him for verification, since it is your conclusion he would be confirming. I don’t have any theory, and so have no pony in the race.
If he is making products for a rival company, neither company may want to put that in writing and may in fact have NDAs that prevent them from doing so.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We were just talking about Octava 319... the Russian mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
3U Audio Warbler MKID, or the Audio Technica AT4050. Lewitt LCT 441 Flex could work as well, or the sE Electronics T2 (or 4400a), or any of the Oktava mics in your budget. There are a lot of great options in your budget.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Austrian Audio OC18.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Calvin. Lots of excellent suggestions from experienced recordists and Pro AE's. I hope you don't mind if I ask you. "how treated" is your room?
If your recording area(s), are not treated, or "not enough"... IMHO you'd be better off by getting a quality dynamic microphone.

FWIW my two favorites are the Sennheiser 441 and Beyer M88TG. A nice/used 441 will run about $600-700. Beyer M88TG is around $400 new, $300 mint used.
If you have a very bright upper register (like me), the 441 would be easier to process your vocals with. You can hear the M88 being used for most of Phil Collins'
studio vocals BTW, for a better idea. He used to record on his M88N, then you see him bring it to Live Aid after!

The nice thing about the M88TG, is that it doubles as a great live vocal mic. You "can" also use a 441, but personally I wouldn't trust a more delicate mic like that-
At a the usual local gig.

Don't laugh, but the 'umble EV 635a can sound terrific on some voices. Listen to the live TV clips of Merle Haggard,
in the late 60's, for example. Or on the Johnny Cash & Glen Campbell TV Shows, along with Soul Train around then.

Also the EV RE16 is still being sold new. You can hear that on Elvis, on the 68 Comeback TV Special.
The RE15 was his main studio vocal mic, late 60's onward.

The "Stevie Wonder" 70's mic, AKA the EV RE20, is worth a thought too.

I hope this helps,
Chris

P.S. I still have trying the Aston Starlight sometime again-more, in the back of my mind.
Because Bushman thinks highly of it, it should be taken seriously.
Old 4 weeks ago
https://www.ebay.com/i/111820764886?...YaAnAjEALw_wcB

3U Audio Warbler MKIV
I would try one of these..and a nice stand
great mics!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Also the EV RE16 is still being sold new.
Another instance of GS being a good read.
I didn’t believe this, so I looked it up... $340 US new.
I really liked the 15 and 16 (well back in the last century) and had no idea that either was in current production.
Thanks Chris!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure thing! I just wish we could still get nice/used RE15's & RE16's for under $100. Like around 15 years ago-when they were $60 or less.
Fine budget vocal mic, for those starting out.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh if mics could talk.... this is the one I want to speak...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electro-Voi...0AAOSwlWBdcB8I
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Aston Starlight is an exceptionally good vocal mic, although that was not the main intent of its design. It has three response settings. The vintage setting is near perfect on a lot of singers. If you want it brighter, the modern setting is brighter, but not harsh (I am a victim of the NT-1a, so I know exactly what kind of harsh you don’t like). If you have a chance to try one, I think you will be surprised... in a good way, of course.
I mostly just designed it to be as accurate and flat as possible in vintage mode as it was the high end bump on all the modern SDC mics that people were split in opinions over. The other settings are more focused to other use cases but vintage should be pretty universal.

Only mic I've ever done as I'm more of a preamp guy but it was an interesting experience. Mics really are a completely different world from any other audio electronics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by machdisk View Post
I mostly just designed it to be as accurate and flat as possible in vintage mode as it was the high end bump on all the modern SDC mics that people were split in opinions over. The other settings are more focused to other use cases but vintage should be pretty universal.

Only mic I've ever done as I'm more of a preamp guy but it was an interesting experience. Mics really are a completely different world from any other audio electronics.
I don’t know who you are (behind the GS name) or what you had to do with the design of the Starlight, but it is a remarkable microphone. The consistency of the cardioid pattern over the full frequency range, due in part to the sintered head, makes the mic very unique in how it hears the source and the room. The Starlight should make some engineers question the need for any hype or color at all in capturing a quality source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search