The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
At what price range would I find monitors significantly better than JBL LSR308s?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

At what price range would I find monitors significantly better than JBL LSR308s?

I've been upgrading my home studio bit by bit. I've been getting by with my JBLs, but at this point they're by far the most "low end" part of my signal chain, and I think the logical next step is an upgrade in this department.

Ideally I'd like to stick to about $1000/pair or less, but I don't have a firm budget. if there's some price point at which there's a stark improvement in quality I'll consider it.

I'm kind of relying on second hand information since I don't know where I'd be able to test out a variety of monitors myself, nor how useful those type of tests would even be, unless they were really lengthy/thorough.

pre-emptive response - yes my listening environment is acoustically treated

thanks in advance for any feedback
Old 4 weeks ago
I used ProAcs as my nearfields for a long time, and bought the LSR308s on a whim when they were one sale some years back. I liked the LSRs so much that I sold the ProAcs, and didn't replace them until I got Kii Threes. I still think the JBLs are exceptionally good at any price, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The 308? Stuff that's way better than it in similar sizes (Genelec 8050, KRK V8, Quested V2108) costs 1500 or more a pair. I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade with your limited budget. If you can get the JBL LSR 308 midrange to translate, you should save for tighter stuff with clearer mids and more detail that will improve translation and save you time. Taking one step forward to something more different than better won't be as good of a move as saving for a couple months and getting something way better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yeah I very seriously doubt it's the "low end" of your chain. But you might be better served asking this in the high-end forum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Yeah I very seriously doubt it's the "low end" of your chain
Well, at any rate it’s easily the most inexpensive piece of gear out of the stuff I currently use. The I’m glad to hear that it still holds up though. I bought the LSRs I think like five years ago and the prevailing wisdom was that they perform way above their “weight class” so to speak. I guess not much has changed since then

Well thank you all for your input
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

To me JBL 308's are very good monitors, especially after I paired them with a JBL sub. I have basically stopped looking for monitoring upgrades. It simply feels great to be free of the "neverending upgrade syndrome". I don't understand what these monitors are lacking? I actually downgraded to them from more expensive monitors and I couldn't be more happier. I know for sure that if I can't get the mix right, it sure won't be 308's fault. If they ever break down, I will go and buy new pair or a similar replacement from JBL. Both mixing and listening to music with them is great. If you don't have a subwoofer for them yet, then my suggestion is to get one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The need for a subwoofer might depend on the genre. Another consideration is that a sub does not necessarily improve your audio “picture”. In my limited direct experience, adding a sub has less than a 50% chance to improve your mixes. But it has a 100% chance of making the bass louder, so it is a seductive change that people seldom go back on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If someone bought me a sub as a gift, I'd either respectfully decline or only attach if it I knew they were coming over. I never have and never will get the appeal of having that THUMP THUMP THUMP hammering away like someone hitting me over the head with a sledgehammer. To each their own
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
If someone bought me a sub as a gift, I'd either respectfully decline or only attach if it I knew they were coming over. I never have and never will get the appeal of having that THUMP THUMP THUMP hammering away like someone hitting me over the head with a sledgehammer. To each their own
You have a valid point. However if you are adept at using measurement equipment and have the capacity to tune the system properly there can be excellent benefit for simple, clean extension of the frequency response of a system.

It's one of those tools that is as valuable as a user wants it to be.

Most people have a concept that they want to "hear" the sub if they went through the trouble of purchasing it (or have specific client playback requirements for a specific genre that requires "subwoofer abuse"). In a system tuned for accuracy it is simple extension of the response of the system and as such may not be necessary or a budget priority for lots of situations.

Coming from the performing arts world I use a commercial install DSP for tuning and routing of the master output of the installed DAW system so that I can have complete control of what is doing what. Most folks don't have access to that technology and are instead using what is available on board the sub for crossover, level, etc. which isn't always ideal for the room or the associated full-range enclosures.

I guess my point is - to each their own... ;~)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Take a look at the Neumann KH 80. They are about $450 each. I'm looking into these right now. I've listened to Genelec, Focal, Neumann, Yamaha, Adam... all in the approximately $400-1000 each range. I think the KH 80 beats them all. (I define winning as what will most reliably allow me to make correct decisions).

Plus you get room correction DSP, and the people at SoundOnSound think it's brilliant (I haven't tried the room correction software yet. But let's face it, we are not all working in Abbey Road mix rooms). I think the KH 80 beats its larger and more expensive sibling the KH 120. I believe the KH 120 is built on older technology. I heard less resonance build ups in the KH 80 compared to the 120.

Neumann put a lot of effort into mathematics, theory, and digital technology. It's kind of like winning with brains rather than exotic materials or giant sizes.

These monitors do not put out a lot of bass. But they have the KH 750 subwoofer. You could get a pair of KH 80s right now, check your bass on headphones for a while, then get the sub when you have the money.
Old 4 weeks ago
In my old studio space we tried out some 308's and some Tannoy Precision 6D's and the Tannoy's were significantly tighter, more defined, and had a broader frequency response to everyone listening. Including the owner of the JBL's. Unfortunately those Tannoys are discontinued but I would bet you could find some used.

I'm currently using some Barefoot Footprints in the main studio but I'm also looking at more cost effective options for possibly opening a seperate mix space. I might end up trying some 308's again just because the price is so good. Has anyone compared the Adam T7V's to the JBL's? I thought they sounded remarkably like the A7X's when I compared them at a store.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
In my old studio space we tried out some 308's and some Tannoy Precision 6D's and the Tannoy's were significantly tighter, more defined, and had a broader frequency response to everyone listening. Including the owner of the JBL's. Unfortunately those Tannoys are discontinued but I would bet you could find some used.

I'm currently using some Barefoot Footprints in the main studio but I'm also looking at more cost effective options for possibly opening a seperate mix space. I might end up trying some 308's again just because the price is so good. Has anyone compared the Adam T7V's to the JBL's? I thought they sounded remarkably like the A7X's when I compared them at a store.
Behringer is supposedly bringing back the dual concentric monitors sometime. Who knows when and if they will be decent. Their KRK Rokit clones took years to come out and were pretty much doa.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...t-control-room

This is the most insightful article on monitoring I have read in a long time.

I should add that I have the 305s, love them, but having done a REW of my (heavily treated) room, I most certainly have the dreaded trough at 100 Hz. I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 310 sub.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
Take a look at the Neumann KH 80. They are about $450 each. I'm looking into these right now. I've listened to Genelec, Focal, Neumann, Yamaha, Adam... all in the approximately $400-1000 each range. I think the KH 80 beats them all. (I define winning as what will most reliably allow me to make correct decisions).

Plus you get room correction DSP, and the people at SoundOnSound think it's brilliant (I haven't tried the room correction software yet. But let's face it, we are not all working in Abbey Road mix rooms). I think the KH 80 beats its larger and more expensive sibling the KH 120. I believe the KH 120 is built on older technology. I heard less resonance build ups in the KH 80 compared to the 120.

Neumann put a lot of effort into mathematics, theory, and digital technology. It's kind of like winning with brains rather than exotic materials or giant sizes.

These monitors do not put out a lot of bass. But they have the KH 750 subwoofer. You could get a pair of KH 80s right now, check your bass on headphones for a while, then get the sub when you have the money.
Apologies for the late response but this is good info. I'll look into them, thanks a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search