The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam 414 problem low freq popping...
Old 10th September 2019
Tascam 414 problem low freq popping...

So I'm getting a weird problem with my (very old) Tascam 414. I'm getting a low frequency rumble/popping sound when I have a normal level signal going into the inputs. If I lower the signal down to a level where the LEDs do not light up then the sound goes away but the signal is too low to be usefully recorded. Soon as I light up some of those lights I'm getting this flickering/popping low frequency sound.
This is not the sound of an overloaded channel. I am used to that sound and that distorts the whole frequency range. This is almost like the original signal is not being touched but this low frequency noise is added to it, rather than part of it, if you get my drift. Almost like I'm listening to my input signal clearly but I've also turned up another channel with this low freq noise on it. But obviously that's not happening. I only have one channel turned up when this is happening. Only thing that seems to make it go away is to turn the input signal down really low. Nothing else seems to make any difference. I've even EQ'd the incoming signal with a high pass filter so I know nothing low frequency is going into the input but there is the sound anyway.
Could it be something has come loose inside and is being effected by the LEDs?
Any advice would be great. I love this little machine and I want to continue making recordings on it.
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search