The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Setup
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

New Setup

Hi!

I am looking for a small setup to produce my own electronic music and mostly to record the vocals of my wife.

In the past, I did that with a MBox from Digidesign, a Sm58 and Yamaha HS-50 ... but at least I need a new interface and Mic. The Interface is just old and the Mic not the best option i think.

I am considering to get a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 or Audient iD14 - what would be more recommendable?

I'm mostly looking for a good but cheap microphone ... would the Audio Technica 2035 or a Rode Microphone upgrade to the SM58? I am undecided, I have an apartment that is not optimal for recordings and maybe the dynamic SM58 is still the better choice. Hmmm

My budget for interface and microphone is 600 €, I want to make the best choice. All I need is a microphone input, monitor output and good quality in general.

What would you do?

Last edited by mrmchld; 4 weeks ago at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Grammatics
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi! With your budget you should easily be able to get some better gear than you were using. Although an SM58 can sound very good on certain sources.

Mic-wise, I would definitely recommend Audio-Technica, I think they make the best condensers for the money. If you can find one used, I'd recommend getting an AT4033 or an AT4040 instead of the 2035. Their step-up 40xx series is very good and still very affordable on the used market (I usually see them for around $200 on Craigslist and Reverb). They're built very well so you could get a used one pretty confidently.

Interface-wise, I've never used any of the Audient devices but I've read good things. In the lower-end range I would recommend a Steinberg UR22, I have one that I use regularly and I think it's built very well. Solid construction, easy interface, decent components.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your feedback!

I will do my purchase next month, so I have some thought time left.

I'm also very fond of the Audio Technica 4040, you just read good things about it. I think in this price range, the microphone is more important than the audio interface ... at least, that's what I read in this board most of the time. The differences of low-budget audio interfaces seem to be not so crucial - I was only very interested in the Audient interfaces because they seem to use the same chips as in their consoles. On a Noob like me makes something just impression.

I will investigate the market and see if I can get a 4040 for a nice price. I wish I had more money to spend, my favorite Mic would be a Electro Voice RE20, but that is far from my price range considering I need a new Interface and in some future also want a nice pair of Headphones.

Whatever I will buy, I think it will be a major upgrade to my old Digidesign Interface.

Thanks again, I'm definitely thinking more about buying a used 4040 now. More recommendations are welcome of course!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Audient is a good choice. I am pleased with my own iD24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, i‘m going with an Audient for sure! I read a lot the last few days and like a lot of what i read.
But now i‘m on the fence... iD14 or iD22.
The 14 has everything i need, but some extra ins and oute are always nice. Of course the extra Money would probably be better invested in a good MIC - hmmm... i need a few more days. Haha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah iD22 is the one I have.

The inserts are helpful if you want to use an external preamp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would look for a used Motu Ultralite mk4 or avb. I know the avb's go used on reverb.com for about 450 usd. The ultralite will give you 2 mic pres and 6 additional line inputs so you dont have to hijack an insert. Then look for a used audio technica 40xx series. You might have to squeeze your budget a little but the Motu is beyond worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

good to have a few mics around to hear the options. What type of electronic music? I've always been more fond of the SM57, than the SM58. You can get a little more proximity out of it, for vocals. I'm putting the finishing touches on some songs for my new releases & have dug out this old dinosaur of a mic that has been performing really well for me. Electro-Voice PL76 they require an easy mod, the battery is pretty much defunct. But, it really records a quality vocal that sounds well in the mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
good to have a few mics around to hear the options. What type of electronic music? I've always been more fond of the SM57, than the SM58. You can get a little more proximity out of it, for vocals. I'm putting the finishing touches on some songs for my new releases & have dug out this old dinosaur of a mic that has been performing really well for me. Electro-Voice PL76 they require an easy mod, the battery is pretty much defunct. But, it really records a quality vocal that sounds well in the mix.
Is that old ev pl76 have a switch on it and uses a really odd size battery thats next to impossible to find unless you go to one of those battery stores?
Old 4 weeks ago
I highly recommend the Apogee HypeMic. It's exceptionally good. I say this as a person with a fairly substantial microphone locker.

Last edited by Podgorny; 4 weeks ago at 12:10 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
Is that old ev pl76 have a switch on it and uses a really odd size battery thats next to impossible to find unless you go to one of those battery stores?
You can buy a cheap circuit bypass kit to replace the battery. Yeah, the battery is impossible to find.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the further recommendations. Some of those I can‘t buy in this purchase, because my fixed budget is too limited. But if I upgrade, it may play an important role. For example I really like what I read about Motu, RME and Apogee here, especially the Motu and RME, but this stuff is just too expensive at the Moment, so I’ll keep it in mind for the next time. I had some bad experiences buying used stuff and that’s why I buy everything new now. Although I think about the Audio Technica 4040 to buy used.

Since many Inputs and Outputs aren’t what i need the best option is to purchase a good quality small Interface - and my favorite is the Audient iD14 here after all - and the rest goes into the new Mic.

With such a setup, I guess I can work relaxed for a while and save for later, to buy maybe a RME or Motu. Maybe even more will come, like a synth or something and I need more inputs anyway.

So Audient iD14 it will be and a 4040 I guess, that mic I wouldn’t had on my radar thx for that recommendation, seems to be a really good deal for the money and a real upgrade.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search