The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing large interface with small one?
Old 10th September 2019
Replacing large interface with small one?

Basically, I currently own a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 first gen. It does the job at the moment, but I am currently pretty limited for space at my desk. I am thinking it would be a good idea to just have a smaller interface for my main setup at home so it can be by my desk but purchase something like an octopre to connect to it so that I can have the extra inputs if I need them anywhere.

Is this a good idea? Do any of you do it this way?
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashley520 View Post
Basically, I currently own a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 first gen. It does the job at the moment, but I am currently pretty limited for space at my desk. I am thinking it would be a good idea to just have a smaller interface for my main setup at home so it can be by my desk but purchase something like an octopre to connect to it so that I can have the extra inputs if I need them anywhere.

Is this a good idea? Do any of you do it this way?
Have you looked at any of the MOTU stuff? I think the Ultralite would do you well. It is a half rack size. Its got 2 mic pres, 6 additional line ins, 8 analog outs, midi i/o, and adat lightpipe. If you get the avb version it has thunderbolt. Both have a 123db dynamic range on the DAC which makes a huge difference while mixing. 595 and 649 bucks respectively.
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
Have you looked at any of the MOTU stuff? I think the Ultralite would do you well. It is a half rack size. Its got 2 mic pres, 6 additional line ins, 8 analog outs, midi i/o, and adat lightpipe. If you get the avb version it has thunderbolt. Both have a 123db dynamic range on the DAC which makes a huge difference while mixing. 595 and 649 bucks respectively.
Sorry about the late reply! This sounds really impressive to me, most of what I do consists of mixing and audio editing anyway so they dynamic range sounds really nice.

Do you have one yourself? I have a few more questions if that's okay?

Any idea what it can drive in terms of headphones? I would like to be able to drive my HD600s (300 ohms) without a separate amp.

Any idea what the driver performance is like on Windows 10? That's what I'll be using it on primarily.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashley520 View Post
Sorry about the late reply! This sounds really impressive to me, most of what I do consists of mixing and audio editing anyway so they dynamic range sounds really nice.

Do you have one yourself? I have a few more questions if that's okay?

Any idea what it can drive in terms of headphones? I would like to be able to drive my HD600s (300 ohms) without a separate amp.

Any idea what the driver performance is like on Windows 10? That's what I'll be using it on primarily.
I have used the mk4 version and it is very nice. I own an 828es which is one of there flagship pieces and it is outstanding.

I have heard they werent the best on windows for a while but I think thats been cleared up. There are several motu threads on here. Using a windows machine i would recommend the mk4 over the avb. Thunderbolt on a pc i here is spotty. I am a Mac user.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head

There’s gotta be a creative solution that prevents you from dropping a bunch of money just to save 8 inches of desk space. A shelf. Mounting it on the side of the desk. Installing a rack on the wall. Whatever. If it were me, I’d much rather spend the coin on some other piece of kit.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
There’s gotta be a creative solution that prevents you from dropping a bunch of money just to save 8 inches of desk space. A shelf. Mounting it on the side of the desk. Installing a rack on the wall. Whatever. If it were me, I’d much rather spend the coin on some other piece of kit.
The Motu is also a step up in quality too. So it os more than just saving space.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search