The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do you guy's record with input monitoring FX's?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Do you guy's record with input monitoring FX's?

Hi,

In my quest to have my recorded instruments sound as finished as possibel while tracking with the band i've stumboled upon adding fx's to the recordings ITB with input monitoring.

My PC/soundcard is powerfull enough to record drums with slate VMR on most channels and a reverb channel. when i'm done with drums i render the master buss of the drum's, freeing up my CPU for the next instrument.

All with minimum latency and my CPU peaking at 50% max (i'm using reaper)

By doing this i can have the band's input on the way they want the instrument's to sound. Instead of having everything recorded dry and giving it a sound in the mixing stage. and i've noticed that players play better when they like the sound comming out of the headphone mix.

Also, if i f***ed up an EQ or compressor setting while recording i can still change it.

Is anyone doing this? Do you maybe have some tip's/trick's, warnings for aplying to much or the wrong fx's?

iv'e experimented alot with this and everything works fine but i haven't recorded a client using input monitoring and i don't want any surprises.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never.

Even my top end quad core computer has too much latency to record using digital effects in series.
Maybe If I had a Thunderbolt interface to use with its thunderbolt port, the latency might be low enough but with the current USB2 or older PCI cards you can forget about using digital plugins as substitutes for hardware effects tracking.

Not like I haven't tried it either, but the whole idea of having zero latency monitoring is to get rid of latency being an issue tracking.

Two other key issues. If you track with effects you better be dam sure they are set with ideal parameters. Those effects will be part of the mix and cant be undone afterwards. Second, if the groove the effects produce are essential to the musical performance, IE a singer having reverb/echo to sustain notes, or a bassist having compression to sustain notes, then simply invest in some hardware for that. Guitarists incorporate all kinds of hardware effects as an essential part of their sound.
I'd simply advise going easy on the amounts. You can always add more when mixing. Undoing too much effects added when tracking can either be very difficult or impossible to you always need to think ahead and go as dry as possible.

If you do want to use digital effects I suggest you split your signal and record one dry and one with effects. Then you can use the wave view as a template when you shift the track over to align with the dry track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Never.

Even my top end quad core computer has too much latency to record using digital effects in series.
Maybe If I had a Thunderbolt interface to use with its thunderbolt port, the latency might be low enough but with the current USB2 or older PCI cards you can forget about using digital plugins as substitutes for hardware effects tracking.

Not like I haven't tried it either, but the whole idea of having zero latency monitoring is to get rid of latency being an issue tracking.

Two other key issues. If you track with effects you better be dam sure they are set with ideal parameters. Those effects will be part of the mix and cant be undone afterwards. Second, if the groove the effects produce are essential to the musical performance, IE a singer having reverb/echo to sustain notes, or a bassist having compression to sustain notes, then simply invest in some hardware for that. Guitarists incorporate all kinds of hardware effects as an essential part of their sound.
I'd simply advise going easy on the amounts. You can always add more when mixing. Undoing too much effects added when tracking can either be very difficult or impossible to you always need to think ahead and go as dry as possible.

If you do want to use digital effects I suggest you split your signal and record one dry and one with effects. Then you can use the wave view as a template when you shift the track over to align with the dry track.
Thanks for the reply!

i've noticed that some fx add to much latency to a point where the pc can't keep up.

But i'm talking about an EQ, comp and some reverb this isn't to tasking on my pc aperantly because i can track with the buffer on the lowest setting. I can play a solo on guitar or sing some lines without having any noticable latency

Also, i can still turn the plugins off. the signal is recorded dry.

I can see how the fx effect the performance and i will pay attention to that But imo i can get a better performance when someone has a reverb or compressor to dig in to while tracking.

I have some outboard Channel strips but i feel like going in direct and setting up a chain ITB is more fluent and doesn't slow the session down.

The threshold on the compressor was set to high on a loud chorus, i can turn it down ITB. With a hardware one i will probably have to do a new take adjust the threshold, reajust for the verse back to the previous setting for the 2nd chorus.

I'm not at a point where my hardware sounds better then plug-ins to my ear.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 4 weeks ago
Only to further "hand hold" the fragile Arteest. Great artists don't need that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've done this in the past.

1. Set up a 100% wet FX buss in DAW with 0ms pre delay
2. Monitor the that channel while recording
3. Monitor the direct channel as normal

This way even if the FX are delayed by 30ms it still sounds OK.
YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search