The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Headphones physically hurting my ears. Any solutions under $100?
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Headphones physically hurting my ears. Any solutions under $100?

Recently my music setup changed and now I'm using headphones most of the time. The ones I currently have (Panasonic RP HTF295) I cant use for more than an hour without being in agony with the cup bending my ears back. The pain still lasts the next day in some cases. I have somewhat large protruding ears. Not exactly Dumbo, but I've defo had a few shouts in my school years!

I'm not a pro audio guy and neither is my work. I need something for under $100, that will do a job for mixing and be comfortable.

I understand someone posted a similar thread last year but there was no resolution to that an I would really like to continue making music.

To be clear the pain is physical, and its definitely coming from the actual pressure of the cups holding my ears back. My current headphones are actually advertised as "over the ear" but I feel like they may not be suited for my lugs.

Hope somebody with a similar experience can help.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just try different models. Some over-ears are larger than others and more comfortable. Try K701 AKG like types, Beyerdynamics or Sennheiser HD models. You will find that it depends so much on you that others can't be of much help. Some find headphones very comfortable that others can't wear for more than 10 minutes.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

My experience with Sennheiser and BeyerDynamics is great and they're comfortable to wear.
I've no experience with them in your budget range but if you can stretch your budget a little higher for something like a BD 770/880/990 you won't regret it. (I 've the 990)
I've tried the AKG 702 and I have to say that their system to pull the clamps tight to the head was very irritating after some days, way to much pressure on the top of my skull, almost painfull and I could'nt stand it any longer.
AKG 701 is the same pull system so no AKG for me but maybe you can live with it.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
My experience with Sennheiser and BeyerDynamics is great and they're comfortable to wear.
I've no experience with them in your budget range but if you can stretch your budget a little higher for something like a BD 770/880/990 you won't regret it. (I 've the 990)
I've tried the AKG 702 and I have to say that their system to pull the clamps tight to the head was very irritating after some days, way to much pressure on the top of my skull, almost painfull and I could'nt stand it any longer.
AKG 701 is the same pull system so no AKG for me but maybe you can live with it.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I find the K701/702 to be about the most comfortable headphones I own (have HD650s too). Heads and ears are different, headphones are mass produced without any adaptation to the individual user besides changing the heights of the drivers. Don't listen to anyone at Gearslutz, try different headphones on your ears and head.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Sennheisser HDs are proper over-ear (unless you have really big head mics!) No pressure on cartilage, comfortable for hours. Hats off to anyone who can wear on-ear cans.
Old 10th September 2019
I have sennheiser hd598 - super comfortable. They don't touch your ear at all and are very light.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

The old open-air Sennheiser yellow foam ones ...only confortable ones I've used.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Shure srh840 is nice. A bit heavy but not unpleasant. Really light on the ears without losing isolation.

For comparison I also own:

Senn 650
Beyer dt100
Senn hd25
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Audio Technica ATHM50x are pretty comfy, as are the Beyerdynamic DT880 and 990.
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

One of the problems I have is, my current Panasonics were fine with very limited use. Trying new headphones on in the shop is also fine because I'm not leaving them on for an hour. (Although maybe I should ask the manager if I could??)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Its narrowed it down for me, so my best bet is to probably buy a few and return the ones that dont make the cut.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by institutesynth View Post
One of the problems I have is, my current Panasonics were fine with very limited use. Trying new headphones on in the shop is also fine because I'm not leaving them on for an hour. (Although maybe I should ask the manager if I could??)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Its narrowed it down for me, so my best bet is to probably buy a few and return the ones that dont make the cut.
That's the best you can do and don't forget that some of them need some more hours of playing in time than others.
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Sony 7506 is a popular over-the-ear model that can be found in every studio in LA. Put them on your short list.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's the best you can do and don't forget that some of them need some more hours of getting used to than others.
Ftfy
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

I use Talent SMH580
They are open back, clear enough for mixing, IMO and the best part... they are about $14. You can find them all over the internet. Sturdy design as well.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Ftfy
Thanks, I'm a Dutch guy so sometimes my English can be not what it needs to be.
But as long my answer is understood everything is okay.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, I'm a Dutch guy so sometimes my English can be not what it needs to be.
But as long my answer is understood everything is okay.
I'm Irish and am supposed to speak English as a first language, still people in UK struggle to understand me.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm Irish and am supposed to speak English as a first language, still people in UK struggle to understand me.

Yes, that's right
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundaddy View Post
Sony 7506 is a popular over-the-ear model that can be found in every studio in LA. Put them on your short list.
This $99 , a studio staple. I keep a bunch of em.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search