The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is there an inexpensive tube amp option for recording a Rhodes?
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Is there an inexpensive tube amp option for recording a Rhodes?

Attempting to find the best signal chain for my recently acquired 1980 MKII Stage. Currently running right off the harp rca -> Boss CE-2 Chorus -> Small Stone Phaser -> RNDI Active DI-> RME UCX Sound-card. I’ve read the many threads on here regarding DI vs amp recording and I’m curious if the amp recording is that much better. I’d like to find a great tube amp to use without spending over $500. Any suggestions?
Old 8th September 2019
Many of Stevie Wonder's Rhodes tracks were cut using his pair of Fender Twin Reverb amps fitted with JBL speakers. The amps are pretty much stock but well maintained.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

For recording you don't need a ton of power, so one of the little 5W or 15W amps should be fine. Blackstar, Fender, Marshall, Vox, and others all make these little fellers, and I also like the Vox MV50 series, which uses the "NuTube" (not the same as the actual tubes used in the other amps, but surprisingly nice). I just noticed that MV50 prices have gone up quite a bit since they were first introduced, though, but they're still a decent deal.
It might be easier for you to get a separate speaker cabinet, then try out various heads until you find one you really like.
As far as vintage amps, the prices are way up there. You might be able to find a decent 1970's Silverface Fender Champ for around $500.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head

If anyone plugged a Rhodes into my '64 Vibrachamp, I would have to shoot them! That little 8" Jensen would get blown apart with one keystroke of a low C!! If you are just using the Rhodes in a studio setting, you probably should be looking at a decent DI/mic preamp instead. That RCA output on the harp is not going to put out much signal, you need to have a good quality preamp for that. Personally, I use a Presonus ADL600 stereo tube mic pre for a Rhodes (or a Wurly 200), as well as a UA Solo 610 single-channel tube mic pre, but any high-gain/low-noise pre will get you there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search