The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small, cheap, front-ported monitors?
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Nut

Small, cheap, front-ported monitors?

I used a pair of Event ALP 5 both as my second monitors and for when mixing records (when mixing records I like to be very close to the monitors, which isn’t possible with my main monitors which are physically much larger). Despite their limitations, I was content with them in this role. However, last weekend i used them to provide background music at a birthday party and the next day realised that some kid has put their finger through the cones

So i need some new backup monitors/dj speakers. They have to be physically small (for reference the Events are aprox. 270mm high x 200mm wide x 225mm deep, and the new ones should be a similar size), active, and ideally front ported as they will be placed tilted upwards on a desktop. Don’t want to drop below a 5” woofer. They don’t have to be perfectly neutral (i would be happy with hifi speakers were any active ones available). Budget ca. 300 euro.

Been considering the JbL lsr 305 which seem good, but are at the limits of width that i can use and rear ported. Also Yamaha HS50m or HS5 look good, but again with slightly larger cabinets than ideal and also rear ported.

Would be grateful for any suggestions for suitable monitors meeting as many of the above criteria as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 8th September 2019
Deleted 9bf22ce
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Also interested in this so registering interest
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I own the JBL LSR308’s and just added the Behringer Nekkst K8’s to music studio and have the Nekkst K5’s in art studio, and these inexpensive Nekkst K5’s sound, dare I say, equally awesome as my LSR’s, no exaggerated bass, I play ambient keys and have heard more clarity in Nekkst, and the K5’s;at $99. Each, it’s a phenomenal deal....front ported.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Used Focal Alpha 50.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I checked the JBL dimensions again today on the official site and they could actually be suitable size-wise, still not sure about the rear-ported aspect though....will look into the other suggested speakers too
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Is the rear port concern available distance to the wall? A few inches is fine.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
Kali LP-6 or LP-8 are front ported.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

KRK Rokit 5 G4, Kali LP6, Behringer whatever if you want to gamble.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Is the rear port concern available distance to the wall? A few inches is fine.
No, the rear port concern is because the monitors will be tilted backwards in order to be pointing at me when i’m standing up dj’ing, and behind the ports would be a wooden desk
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus303 View Post
No, the rear port concern is because the monitors will be tilted backwards in order to be pointing at me when i’m standing up dj’ing, and behind the ports would be a wooden desk
Live application is a whole dif ballgame
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Fluid Audio F5

Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus303 View Post
Thanks. I'm still curious and would like to understand how a rear port would factor into this. Unless you mean laying on their backs, which doesn't seem to be what you're meaning?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thanks. I'm still curious and would like to understand how a rear port would factor into this. Unless you mean laying on their backs, which doesn't seem to be what you're meaning?
I was working (perhaps mistakenly) on the assumption that as it’s generally considered bad to have rear ported monitors too close to walls, it would also be undesirable to have them too close to desks

But - thanks to this thread, have now ordered some Presonus Eris E5 (the older model, not the XT), as they are being cleared out cheaply, are front ported, and in their specs (on paper at least) very similar to my old Events. Kevlar drivers may also be more resistant to children’s fingers!

Thanks for the help everyone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search