The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
(I apologize) What am I Missing?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Head

(I apologize) What am I Missing?

Howdy All,

Thanks in advance for this. I'm an amateur and would like to know what I'm missing in terms of "quintessential" preamp tones. Below is what I have and what I like about each one, I have limited money and racking space and was wondering if anyone knew of something that I should look into.

All the preamps are running into a 2011 apogee ensemble.

FMR RNP (I like the clarity and crispness)

Warm TB12 (I love how versatile it is, and how full bodied everything sounds)

Warm WA73-EQ (the warmth and EQ is appreciated, sounds more "professional")

I've been looking into API 312 & 510 but don't have the cash, and also don't know if this would be redundant based on what's above, which I doubt it would be, but that's why I'm asking you.

I've also looked into the Focusrite ISA II.

The mics I'm primarily using through these are an SM7B and WA47.

thanks again
Old 6th September 2019
To me, it seems as if you do not need another mediocre pre-amp. Save your money as get the API
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Tonebeast is API territory. WA73EQ is Neve territory. The RNP is clean/transparent, chip-based op amp territory. The ISA is also clean, more options and perhaps better components like the Lundahl transformer but still an overall clean preamp. If you got the ISA Two you might consider selling the RNP then.

Perhaps one flavor you're missing that stands out might be a tube pre. I've been looking at the Weight Tank WT-72 https://www.locomotiveaudio.com/weighttank

Or perhaps Sebatron, can get a 2-4 channel unit used, ends up being affordable per channel, one rack space.

Or theres the Universal Audio 610 and 710. I've never clicked with them, but some folks like them.

Or sell everything and go to a more expensive tier of preamp. Hard to say!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

bowzin's summary is really good. I'm more into "one style of preamp for everything", but since you want to collect multiple types, add some sort of Jensen Twin Servo to your list. Thick, wide, clear, etc. No tube and not "tubey" but kind of sort of in the same big&full&warm ballpark. Radial makes a 500-series one, and Seventh Circle Audio has a modified version (the J99) as well. Both are top-notch and won't ever need upgrading.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

you have decent gear, dont sweat it and make something good with it
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
you have decent gear, dont sweat it and make something good with it
This x 10

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search