The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cloudlifter CL-1 for my Rode NT1-A and SM-57?
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Cloudlifter CL-1 for my Rode NT1-A and SM-57?

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired two microphones to record vocals and acoustic instruments, and noticed that the gain on my Scarlett 6i6 wasn't enough to have a decent recording volume with my SM57. The same thing happens to a lesser extent with the NT1, so I was planning on buying an external preamp to fix the problem.

My questions are: will the make up gain from the CL-1 blend with that of the Focusrite? Will the phantom power from the 6i6 make it through the Cloudlifter to the NT1? And finally, should I use a preamp with my condenser at all?

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear
I really can’t imagine ever needing a cloudlifter for either one of those mics. The scarlet should have plenty of gain.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I used to have a 6i6 and use SM57's. No problems with gain.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBauer View Post
Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired two microphones to record vocals and acoustic instruments, and noticed that the gain on my Scarlett 6i6 wasn't enough to have a decent recording volume with my SM57. The same thing happens to a lesser extent with the NT1, so I was planning on buying an external preamp to fix the problem.

My questions are: will the make up gain from the CL-1 blend with that of the Focusrite? Will the phantom power from the 6i6 make it through the Cloudlifter to the NT1? And finally, should I use a preamp with my condenser at all?

Thanks in advance!
No, phantom will NOT make it thru the CL-1..
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

- Can you set the gain sufficiently high on the 6i6 when using the SM57 to cause the red ring around the gain knob to flicker on when feeding the mic some audio?
- What are you recording with the SM57 and how far away is the source? If voice, you'll need to be pretty close with the SM57.
- Pad on the 6i6 not enabled which would reduce the level before the preamps in the interface?
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschaefer View Post
I really can’t imagine ever needing a cloudlifter for either one of those mics. The scarlet should have plenty of gain.
Cloudlifters are about more than just gain.

All preamps add some color, especially when you turn them up. The Cloudlifter turns the mic itself up without adding color or noise, so you hear more of the actual sound of the mic and less of the sound of the pre.

I'm not saying that's "better" - we frequently buy specific pres because we want the color they bring - but it's a nice option to have.

dB
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
FetHead?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head
As a previous poster said, the Cloudlifter runs on phantom power from your interface but will NOT pass it along to your NT1a. That said I have read that dynamics like the SM57 will run from your interface but will sound better if you supply it with a bit more gain from a Cloudlifter or Other boost.
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Cloudlifters are about more than just gain.

All preamps add some color, especially when you turn them up. The Cloudlifter turns the mic itself up without adding color or noise, so you hear more of the actual sound of the mic and less of the sound of the pre.

I'm not saying that's "better" - we frequently buy specific pres because we want the color they bring - but it's a nice option to have.

dB
Totally agree with you, but the OP said he wasn’t getting an adequate recording volume, which leads me to suspect something else might be going on, because both of those mics should be plenty hot through the Scarlett.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search