The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BLA Auteur (original)?
Old 5th September 2019
  #1
BLA Auteur (original)?

I just picked up what looks like a great deal on an original BLA Auteur - $130. Before pulling the trigger of course, I came here and looked through all the old threads about it and I felt pretty good about picking it up, especially for that price, but it's been years since those posts so I wanted to see if anyone is still using one (ideally the original and not the mkii) and what you think of it.

Wondering how the Auteur will compare to what I've already got. I've been using a MOTU 8 Pre, DMP-3, ART Digital MPA, and GAP PRE73 (original), and everything goes into my MOTU 828 mkiii. I've been using the GAP on kick drum, and was hoping to use the Auteur on snare or maybe toms. I haven't been using the DMP-3 through recent years unless I run out of pres and need it for overflow. Not that it's bad, but I prefer the GAP and MPA by far. Anyone used/use one? Let me know what you think!

Last edited by staticwhitesound; 5th September 2019 at 04:31 PM..
Old 6th September 2019
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Had the original Auteur. No longer own it. At higher gain it gets noisy. From what I recall, it worked well on acoustic guitar and Tom's. For the price, good deal
Old 6th September 2019
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaserxyz View Post
Had the original Auteur. No longer own it. At higher gain it gets noisy. From what I recall, it worked well on acoustic guitar and Tom's. For the price, good deal
Thanks for sharing! That sounds like a common impression from the older threads I've read. I'm planning to use it on louder sources, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue. Also hoping the 10db pad will be enough since I'm used to 20db pads.
Old 7th September 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
I have the MKII, not the original one, but I like mine a lot.

I've thought about upgrading them for years now but to be honest they sound great in every application I've used them in. The thing that shows them for what they are price wise is the noise at higher gain settings, which I wouldn't mind less of. Other than that they are far from being the weakest link in the chain to get gorgeous sounding tracks in my experience.

They don't really do saturation for my uses (acoustic instruments, vocals and electric guitar, no full size drums), but they do have a richness and warmth that's not squeaky clean, especially when you AB them with interface preamps like my Antelope pres which are decent in their own right. They also have a very slightly scooped sound, which suits pretty much everything I'd say, but when used as the only pre on a whole track it can take some EQ'ing to get the mids more upfront IME.

I have felt they were a giant bargain for years now, I'll most probably keep them around when I do get a higher end (tube) pre in future
Old 7th September 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizeofanocean View Post
they do have a richness and warmth that's not squeaky clean, especially when you AB them with interface preamps like my Antelope pres which are decent in their own right. They also have a very slightly scooped sound, which suits pretty much everything I'd say, but when used as the only pre on a whole track it can take some EQ'ing to get the mids more upfront IME.
Since I'll be using the other preamps I have too, I'm thinking it shouldn't accumulate too much that I'll have to EQ out. When mixing I tend to high pass pretty generously anyway, but I'm thinking these will be nice for the toms, so I can get a consistency across both tom tracks (panned somewhat left and right) to help give the mixes some natural balance. Your scooped comment is interesting - Do you think it's limited mids would make it not a great choice for the snare? Thanks for sharing your experience with this!
Old 8th September 2019
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
Since I'll be using the other preamps I have too, I'm thinking it shouldn't accumulate too much that I'll have to EQ out. When mixing I tend to high pass pretty generously anyway, but I'm thinking these will be nice for the toms, so I can get a consistency across both tom tracks (panned somewhat left and right) to help give the mixes some natural balance. Your scooped comment is interesting - Do you think it's limited mids would make it not a great choice for the snare? Thanks for sharing your experience with this!
Come to think of it, 'scooped' is maybe not the correct term. It has plenty of lower mid warmth, it's the (very) high mids and especially treble freqs around 5 to 6khz that I usually find myself accentuating more on some tracks. I haven't tried it on snare though my darbouka sounds fine through it. Like I say, it's very subtle, so unlikely to be noticeable if not used on a whole mix is my guess
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Got it in the mail yesterday and ran it through a quick test on vocals. First, I tried my beta 58 through the Auteur and straight into the 828mkiii, then I patched in my dbx 160x for some compression and it sounded great both ways. I didn't notice any noise even through the dynamic mic and not singing very loudly. Looking forward to trying it on drums!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump