The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fine-tuning vocal recording in my home studio?
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Head

Fine-tuning vocal recording in my home studio?

Hey guys,

I'm about to record a bunch of vocal parts for the EP I'm working on, and I'm planning (for the sake of budget) to record it in my home studio.

My space is pretty small (9' x 9' x 10'), and while there's a lot of treatment & bass trapping, and the room is pretty dead, there's still a prominent room mode at around 120hz.

My voice happens to be a baritone, so this resonance can be quite pronounced when I'm singing around a low A or B.

I have two questions for y'all.

Firstly, in a situation like this, would you recommend using a good dynamic (SM7B), or a mid-range condenser (AT4050)? I'm not completely in love with the tone of SM7Bs for my voice, but it's not bad and I'm guessing they're much less sensitive to room issues.

(I can of course just use both and choose later, but I figured it's worth asking)

Secondly, can anyone suggest a good workflow to help me find a mic position with minimal room mode?

My intuition says I should excite the room with filtered pink noise and move a calibration mic around while watching a frequency analyser, but I'm not 100% sure that'll work.

Your advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
Hey guys,

I'm about to record a bunch of vocal parts for the EP I'm working on, and I'm planning (for the sake of budget) to record it in my home studio.

My space is pretty small (9' x 9' x 10'), and while there's a lot of treatment & bass trapping, and the room is pretty dead, there's still a prominent room mode at around 120hz.

My voice happens to be a baritone, so this resonance can be quite pronounced when I'm singing around a low A or B.

I have two questions for y'all.

Firstly, in a situation like this, would you recommend using a good dynamic (SM7B), or a mid-range condenser (AT4050)? I'm not completely in love with the tone of SM7Bs for my voice, but it's not bad and I'm guessing they're much less sensitive to room issues.

(I can of course just use both and choose later, but I figured it's worth asking)

Secondly, can anyone suggest a good workflow to help me find a mic position with minimal room mode?

My intuition says I should excite the room with filtered pink noise and move a calibration mic around while watching a frequency analyser, but I'm not 100% sure that'll work.

Your advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!
What kind of music are you singing. That will affect your mic choice. Second have you thought about using a mic shield on the mic in your room. My room is not the best for vocals and this really helps.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...flexion+filter
Here is a few from the sweetwater site. Multiple companies make them.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head

Those shields have fairly mixed effects on the sound.

In my case the walls are already dead, so its purely a question of room modes, which those little shields can’t help with.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi,

How loud are you singing? if you sing loud the room modes have a bigger effect then when you sing more quiet.

I would try both mic's, and experiment with moving further or closer tot the mic. And different positions in the room. Also try the different polar patterns on te AT.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Go with the 4050. Experiment with mic positioning.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

The AT4050 is way better. Very similar overall sound but with a much more detailed high end.

Room placement was easy; I calculated the SBIR for 125hz from two walls and placed it there, which seemed to work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search