The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first Reel to Reel tape machine. Sony TC-350.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

My first Reel to Reel tape machine. Sony TC-350.

I was given this in 2013 and it has been stored for 6 years. Finally got it out of storage and was wondering what I have here? I'm pretty interested in recording onto this how exactly do I get started? This is my first reel to reel and I have never used one before.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

If you don't have the manual, perhaps you should start by finding one for it? Of course you need proper tape for it also. Try to find out what kind of reels and tape it uses. Musichouse Thomann (thomann.de) is still selling several different kind of tapes, including empty reels which you will also need. The heads need to be cleaned and demagnetized also. Check out youtube, it has multiple videos about maintaining tape machines.

I would first try out if it works by powering it up, if it does then I would buy a little bit of tape and see if it can record and playback actually works. After this I would buy a demagnetizer and more tape. The pots probably need to be cleaned and lubricated also. There might be other parts that might need to be replaced like belts and other rubber parts, any moving parts, or even the electronics which might need to be recapped. In my opinion maintaining these old machines is not an easy job, which is one of the reasons why I don't use them. Some of the spare parts can be rare and also they might have been pulled from dead machines.

I hope someone who has more knowledge and experience can help you with this one. I have only owned a few different kind of tape machines and they didn't see much action to be honest. So I am not an expert with this type of gear. I grew up using c-casettes, and this made me being more comfotable with the Sony elcaset format. These machines were very easy to use and they sounded amazing. I was stupid enough to sell them away for very cheap, along with two big boxes of extra cassettes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search