The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To Anyone Who Needs To Know What You Can Achiev with Uber Budget Gear!
Old 20th August 2019
To Anyone Who Needs To Know What You Can Achiev with Uber Budget Gear!

Edit: the files are m4a’s so you will have to save the files and play them through your own media player as Gearslutz doesn’t support m4a. I am posting this on my mobile device so I cannot convert them to mp3 for now.

These recordings were done using the following:

Behringer Xenyx 4-preamp, 6 channel mixer. The older non-USB model.

Audix D2 pointed at snare, placed above kick drum, deadcenter, only a couple inches above it.
Audix D6 inside kick porthole.

Sennheiser e609 on lead guitar.
Audix i5 on rhythm guitar.

Bass DI’d directly out from amp into Xenyx’s line jack.

Recording was live on the floor, everythin preformed at once. The master signal was sent from RCA OUT to 1/8” jack “mic/line in” on an old MacBook Air, recorded using Cubase LE.

This was done around 5 years ago.

These demo’s should show anybody on a very tight budget that you can truly produce great sounding demo tracks utilizing a bottom-barrel mixer, standard mic’s found at literally any music shop, wothout wasting money on budget condensers.

This was my old band and though I had much better equipment, it was not in the city which we were recording in so I thought **** it, I’ll bring what little stuff I can. I gotta say, these demo’s sound great. Every instrument is clear, and the demo’s show the potential of each song which is what a good demo recording should do.

I hope this both shows what low-cost and simple utilitarian demo recording can achieve and inspires any young or new engineers that you can make your band happy without throwing $300 down the toilet on some MXL’s for drums or if you don’t have the money for higher costinf dynamics/ribbons.

enjoy!

I was the drummer and engineer of the band.
Attached Files

01 Swashbucklin'.m4a (8.86 MB, 903 views)

02 Taco.m4a (5.56 MB, 870 views)

04 New Song.m4a (6.88 MB, 763 views)

Last edited by GreySlothStudio; 20th August 2019 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

Sounds really good. I like the music too.

Just to clarify - there were no OHs? And all levels were set before you hit record? Also, did you adjust eq's on the mixing desk before recording?

Thanks
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Nice work. Only listening on my laptop speakers but definitely demo-worthy. Like you said, demos convey the potential and feel of the song and this does so in spades. Also a worthy lesson in drum mic bleed. Plenty of kit in those two close mics.

Just curious, how much processing did you do in post? Also curious how much board EQ you used going in?
Old 22nd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
Nice work. Only listening on my laptop speakers but definitely demo-worthy. Like you said, demos convey the potential and feel of the song and this does so in spades. Also a worthy lesson in drum mic bleed. Plenty of kit in those two close mics.

Just curious, how much processing did you do in post? Also curious how much board EQ you used going in?
Nothing post. The only signal that was used was the master stereo out so the only thing to do post would either a compressor or an EQ setting, however I decided to leave it as is, I believe.

The only processing would be the Behringer EQ channel strips on the preamp channels, in which case, I’d say I did some mild leveling of frequencies during the session as I had headphones to keep track of the signal.

Glad you liked it!
These are songs I find myself listening to at least once a month just to remind mself that if you practice a song at least 10 times RIGHT before you hit record, the session will most likely sound good without any thorough engineering.

I have some more demos where I used different but similar recording styles and all ended up conveying the message of the demo’s purpose. Maybe I’ll upload some more along with the gear lists per each of em to help inspire some engineers to truly work with what they’ve got.

Edit: uploading another demo I dug up from 2012

This was done using a Tascam US1641, a pair of Shure PG81’s on Overheads, Audix i5 on snare, Audix D6 on kick, Sennheiser E609 on both guitars, Sennheiser MD421 on bass amp, and tracking/mixing done with the older Cubase LE 5. Recorded in my old attic. Pork Pie drums :-) love the little squealer snare crack.
Attached Files

Rzrbde demo1.mp3 (6.53 MB, 913 views)

Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post
Nothing post. The only signal that was used was the master stereo out so the only thing to do post would either a compressor or an EQ setting, however I decided to leave it as is, I believe.

The only processing would be the Behringer EQ channel strips on the preamp channels, in which case, I’d say I did some mild leveling of frequencies during the session as I had headphones to keep track of the signal.

Glad you liked it!
These are songs I find myself listening to at least once a month just to remind mself that if you practice a song at least 10 times RIGHT before you hit record, the session will most likely sound good without any thorough engineering.

I have some more demos where I used different but similar recording styles and all ended up conveying the message of the demo’s purpose. Maybe I’ll upload some more along with the gear lists per each of em to help inspire some engineers to truly work with what they’ve got.

Edit: uploading another demo I dug up from 2012

This was done using a Tascam US1641, a pair of Shure PG81’s on Overheads, Audix i5 on snare, Audix D6 on kick, Sennheiser E609 on both guitars, Sennheiser MD421 on bass amp, and tracking/mixing done with the older Cubase LE 5. Recorded in my old attic. Pork Pie drums :-) love the little squealer snare crack.
Sounds amazing. I actually have some old unlisted youtube vids where I used probably a simillar xenyx to your original post and I used a pg48 on kick, and a pair of mics that I jacked from my sister's just dance game for the ps3 and used 3.5mm to quarter inch converters to run them into the mixer and use them to record the whole room during practices. Not nearly as polished but I you got me listening back on them nostalgically. Thank you.
Old 26th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanmantony View Post
Sounds amazing. I actually have some old unlisted youtube vids where I used probably a simillar xenyx to your original post and I used a pg48 on kick, and a pair of mics that I jacked from my sister's just dance game for the ps3 and used 3.5mm to quarter inch converters to run them into the mixer and use them to record the whole room during practices. Not nearly as polished but I you got me listening back on them nostalgically. Thank you.
Dude yesss
Thank you for replying! I love sharing and conversating on nostalgic demo recs. Especially where it’s like clearly “novice” yet such a distinct and memorable sound produced.

Link me up with those vids if you can!
Speaking of Shure PG’s - I used my Dad’ PG81’s in highschool to record the very same band these demo’s were for. Maybe I mentioned that in Razrblades demo post.

Anyway - check out one other thread I created where I uploaded a demo where the drums using two Sterling ST51’s.

Edit: **** it I’ll upload it here too lol
More demos for the masses to hear what their shopping cart on GC can do for them.
Attached Files

demo drums for brettski.mp3 (4.71 MB, 634 views)

Old 8th September 2019
Gear Head

Love it

Just goes to show you don’t need a lot to get a good demo recording. Love it
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

Sounds good! Also sounds like the drummer was the engineer. :-)
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
These demo’s should show anybody on a very tight budget that you can truly produce great sounding demo tracks utilizing a bottom-barrel mixer, standard mic’s found at literally any music shop, wothout wasting money on budget condensers.
Interesting that you think low-end dynamics and interfaces are fine but low-end condensers aren't. ? Agree to disagree there. Of course it depends on the specifics.
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Interesting that you think low-end dynamics and interfaces are fine but low-end condensers aren't. ? Agree to disagree there. Of course it depends on the specifics.
I believe that seldom does a truly low end condenser (MXL 990 for example) represent a great bang-for-your-buck value or output/sound. However, a $90 used dynamic mic can apparently sound good and not need much in the way of EQ and compression to represent an entire drum kit.

I am very much in to the iSK pearls, btw. I think that for $29, they truly do represent great value and can capture some great tones.

I think my overall point was that the $100 for a low end condenser would be better spent (by far) on a used dynamic mic, OR a used Behringer mixer. The preamps are useable. The EQ is usable. I think that preamps being gain stages for microphones can be made WELL or SOLIDLY for next to near nothing in a Chinese sweat shop by Behringer. What I cannot say from my own hearing is that my money would be better spent on one cheap condenser vs a Behringer Xynyx series or vs a used Audix dynamic mic or Sennheiser dynamic mic.

I mean let’s simplify even more - could the average listener care to gain that 16 to 20khz range but have it sufferingly brittle (in comparison with an Audix D2 or i5 and say an MXL 990 or MXL 440 etc etc). Should the mid range realism of good dynamic mic be given up for the overall widening of responsive frequency range?? When we speak with such limitations and budgeting on the gear, I find I could not find a better 4-Channel preamp and DI set up for $20 (on Craigslist or GuitarCent Used online store). The preamp quite frankly will mot do dick when using a mega-cheap condenser... I mean think about it logically: How can maximizing realism, signal clarity, frequency response, dynamic handling, noise level, overall headroom, and dynamic range matter at all when the source is being captured by a truly bottom of the barrel condenser?
For the price of a Xenyx mixer and an Audix D2 or D4 on the used market one could not even afford to buy a cheap condenser then maximize its with high-end preamps.

I have recorded great sounding drum demos with Sterling ST51’s as overheads but that was NOT live, those were used as a stereo pair, they were recorded as multi-tracks via a Tascam or Zoom USB device (not an RCA stereo out to my 1/8” mic in jack on a stock Mac sound board) , and were properly/duely processed via high quality DAW plug-ins, not Behringer Xenyx channel strips.

I just find dynamic mic’s can run much cleaner with all other factors evened compared to similarly priced condensers.
I also find a $20 mixer to be unmatched if you need 4 preamps, and a DI outputted to your Mac’s mic/line jack.

However - two iSK Pearls would have sounded great too. One on kick, on on kit. I just believe that the dynamic mics offer better performence when multi-tracking and full DAW editing in a live performence aren’t available.

Idk... honestly **** it all. To each their own! I just care that YOU find a great snappin’ snare tone and a killer guitar sound, and that YOU find a consistent way to well record these sources to your own satisfaction!

And lol yes the drummer was the engineer (me and me! - in relply to the other poster)
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Comparing dynamic and condenser mics of the same price isn't the same as saying "low end dynamics" vs "low end condensers." The condensers cost more on average so you have to allow for that. There are very few condensers (excluding obscure Chinese sweat shop type stuff) at or under $100, but quite a few dynamics. Given that, there are IMO a number of good condenser mics in the lower end, though maybe not the bottom of the barrel end, which I would say about dynamics too.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sounds good! Also sounds like the drummer was the engineer. :-)
Sounds good to me too. Although I can't help but feel it may have benefited if the bass guitarist was the engineer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Sounds good to me too. Although I can't help but feel it may have benefited if the bass guitarist was the engineer.

Hahaha nah there was NO post mixing. This was straight analog mixer to stereo input. So the levels were according to our reference a band using the headphone jack and a splitter for live monitoring. So basiccaly, the bass amp cut thru the sound isolating headphones we used, to we turned that down, then the guitars were amplified loudly so we wanted to up the kick drum to get a nice sounding powerful monitor mix. That mix went straight into macbook stereo line in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I was the drummer and engineer of the band.
The drums are certainly loud and clear. If you imagine a stage you've got the kit front and centre and then 50 to 100 feet back there's the rest of the band.

That's how it sounds my end.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search