The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just bought a new mic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Just bought a new mic.

Just wanted to stick a mic in front of me and press record for guitar and vocals. Settled on a CAD GXL2200 after doing some research. Time to retire the SM57 and SM58. It will get here next week. Hope I have some fun with it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So I got free 2 day shipping and it arrived today. I owned a Rode NT1-A previously and I prefer the CAD GXL2200... I'm NOT hearing the shrilly highs that I have found pointed out on this forum. Anybody else own this mic? I'm happy so far!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Well, almost any microphone will not have the “shrilly highs” of the Rode NT1a. That’s a low bar (and a good description of that Rode).
I’m curious where you did research that suggested this was the mic you should buy.
What are the positives... It does look like a U87, and it’s response graph doesn’t show anything beside a gradually rising response above 5k. That’s not like an 87, but it is not odd for a modern LDC. The peak is a little above most sibilance, so that’s a plus.
There is at least one negative. The self noise is unusually high for an LDC, even a budget LDC, so that could be problematical for recording quiet sources.
The prices I’m looking at online seem very reasonable. You probably paid $140 less than you would pay for an Aston Origin, for example.
But I remain curious... where did you hear good things about this mic?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

There was a post on reddit explaining that Justin Vernon used this mic pre-Bon Iver days. It was in a reddit thread titled "Best ~$200 mic for recording Elliott Smith-style acoustic guitar and voice". This is certainly my bag so I thought why not and bought it. I was getting ready to spend over $500 so trying something less expensive and being impressed made my day. Hope that awnsers your question.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall View Post
There was a post on reddit explaining that Justin Vernon used this mic pre-Bon Iver days. It was in a reddit thread titled "Best ~$200 mic for recording Elliott Smith-style acoustic guitar and voice". This is certainly my bag so I thought why not and bought it. I was getting ready to spend over $500 so trying something less expensive and being impressed made my day. Hope that awnsers your question.
It does, thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search