The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High pitched ring in vocal recording?
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey77 View Post
A good way to eliminate room factors is to do a few tracks with a blanket over your head and the mic as well.... like a little tent.
It's almost an anechoic chamber effect.
A walk-in closet full of clothes can make a decent vocal booth.
Old 12th August 2019
Maybe...

Any chance you've got an old-fashioned CRT-type video monitor in the room? 15,734 Hz is their scanning frequency.
Old 12th August 2019
you are using a metal pop screen?

if its room- or some metal resonance it would usually occur just on certain notes (that trigger the resonance).

if its a kinda digital ringing...it would be your digital system (digital clock issue).
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear
i had a similar issue a while ago and for some reason my mic starting to act funny if my iphone was near by, pricking up high pitched noise. not sure but perhaps if the vocalist is reading off an i pad or iphone maybe some frequency stuff is getting picked up. I now just shut my iphone down when recording and never had it happen again..
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Have you tried a different singer? I have listened to your first example only. I worked with a very good soprano once, and some phrases a clear kind of high overtone came right off her nose area. It took me a while to realize that that was just the way her voice/resonance of her body/head was working. I have never run into this in quite such a clear way. I found a way to notch it out a little, and also just got used to it.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfChris View Post
Hello everyone, I've been having an issue I've never encountered that is driving me mad. I have a weird high pitch ring/overtone going on in any vocal track I record. Be it a soft whisper sing or a yell vocal, it appears. In 6 years of having my current setup I have never had this issue. I've tried different mics to see if it was a mic issue, but no matter what it's all the same.

This example was recorded with an AT2020 into my Behringer 502 mixer into the UCA22 (Behringer).

I read that this could be a feedback issue, but I'm not sure how as I don't record hot (the levels are hot here because I limited the track to make the ring easier to hear). I also wear closed back headphones, and with this specific vocal track, I recorded about 5 feet away from the mic.

Also, this only happens every other phrase it seems? The 2 words I didn't include in this were fine.

If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Here is the example of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5cpjzkwzj...Sound.wav?dl=0

*Want to note that when I record Guitar and Bass DI I have 0 issues with this sound.

Edit: I somehow forgot to add I have tested with multiple types of microphones and got the same issue every time.
Chris-OP I know what your problem is. And it will happen again. It's your Behringer stuff. It gets too hot and makes everything sound like ass! Used to have an old Behringer mixer that did the same thing. To be honest man.... Start saving your cash, give some BJ's on the side or whatever you gotta do. Save for 5yrs if you have to, but toss your stuff in the trash! At least get a Focusrite interface or something. Get 3 jobs if you have to and don't sleep for a couple of months, eat Ramen noodles and Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for a year! I did! Tossed by crap Behringer stuff and now I've got a decent setup going. At a certain point gear doesn't matter, and that's a fact. But your not at that point yet! Less than $30 for your audio interface is going to cause those sorts of noises! That my friend is an abo****inglute fact! It ain't cheap or easy doing sound, and that sucks about this hobby/job! But the good news is, you can save and buy some pretty good gear for a few hundred dollars and get damned close results with just your stock interface, a decent mic(The Killers Mr. Brightside, sold millions, was recorded with an Sm58 $100 mic and that is a fact as well!)and stock plugins with whatever DAW your using. Even if it's Reaper for free. As long as you have mastered your craft you can do these things. But you at least have to get gear good enough that it doesn't sound like crap! There's a reason why when you see the pro's work they use expensive gear. But like I said, save a few hundred bucks, or do one of those Pay as you Play payment plans with Zzounds.com or Americanmusicasupply or Sweetwater and get a Focusrite interface for like 200$ a Shure 58 for $100 and you're in business! You already have an AT2020 which you can make work, so I'd get a 57 to record guitars instead if you don't already have one. If you can save more money and get that new Audient Solo interface if you play guitar, it's damn good for the price and you get good mic pre's, cab sims, etc. so more bang for the buck. Also, make sure that your power is clean, you have no light dimmer switches in your room(they cause electrical interference in guitar pickups and microphones/condensers especially), no cell phones when your recording they cause interference, try to also get a Furman power conditioner or something along those lines so you can be sure your power is not messing up your tracking session as well as any power outages are not trashing your equipment...better safe than sorry, and do some minimal room treatment! It sounded like you had none! There are plenty of cheap ways to build cheap room treatment options on youtube. A couple pieces of sticks nailed together as a frame and a bunch of cotton towels strung up between said frames. Make 8 of those and hang them on your walls and your refelctions will be reduced dramatically! No need to spend 10grand on room treatment with a $30 interface. You can make it with stuff you find around the house and a few scraps just to get rid of immediate reflections, and that will help a lot. Too much and you get the opposite effect btw, and it will make your stuff sound muddy, like singing in a tiny closet wrapped in cheap cardboard and foam you find in boxes or camping foam, or hell even a tiny closet stuffed to the gills with Auralex will make your vocals sound so muddy you'll have to cut everything below 800hz!

Once you get a decent audio interface, reduce your room reflections, make sure your power is clean, there is no reason that you can't make a radio-ready album/song with a few hundred dollar interface, a Shure 58/57 mic and a Daw! Unless your recording live drums and ****, if so then your ****ed!
And I use the term radio-ready very loosely!
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

High pitch noise, pro recording
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

I think lovemonkey has the answer.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
What what? The post is funny. Obviously a joke.
Yea, when someone asks for help and shows that they don't have expensive gear and don't know everything there is to know, I laugh at them too :-(

This is "low end theory". His signal chain is perfectly capable of producing an album that will become huge online - nothing wrong with it, aside from his lack of experience.

Teach the guy - don't laugh at him.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemonkey3833 View Post
Chris-OP I know what your problem is. And it will happen again. It's your Behringer stuff. It gets too hot and makes everything sound like ass! Used to have an old Behringer mixer that did the same thing.
It's not the behringer stuff. Try it - there's nothign wrong with it, if used properly. it has better specs and more neutral tone than the signal chains I recorded with in the 1980s..... most of which was gear from the 60s and 70s.

You can make amazing records with teh cheapest gear if you know what you're doing.

Anyone who blames cheap gear for the most basic signal flow issues clearly doesn't know anything about cheap gear, and should not post in "low end theory".
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackoworldmusic View Post
I think lovemonkey has the answer.
aaaaand another guy who shouldn't be posting in the "low end theory" forum.

no experience with low end gear making great music? then don't contribute.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
Yea, when someone asks for help and shows that they don't have expensive gear and don't know everything there is to know, I laugh at them too :-(

This is "low end theory". His signal chain is perfectly capable of producing an album that will become huge online - nothing wrong with it, aside from his lack of experience.

Teach the guy - don't laugh at him.
Did you read the entire thread? I have already said with, not at.

Did you listen to the original recording in the op? With the understanding that that post was his FIRST, how would anyone in their right mind think that is not joke?
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did you read the entire thread? I have already said with, not at.

Did you listen to the original recording in the op? With the understanding that that post was his FIRST, how would anyone in their right mind think that is not joke?
yes, I did. So I'm trying to help with the problem, one step at a time.

If it IS a joke, that's fine LoL, but it doesn't come across like one.

I'd hate to think it was a joke only to find out it wasn't ;-)

Cheers
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd hate to think it was a joke only to find out it wasn't ;-)
Well, I'd hate to think it wasn't a joke only to find out it was ;-)

Hey - if I am wrong, I am wrong; that's happened before, and it will happen again. But I have lived long enough to know when to err on the side of caution.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, I'd hate to think it wasn't a joke only to find out it was ;-)

Hey - if I am wrong, I am wrong; that's happened before, and it will happen again. But I have lived long enough to know when to err on the side of caution.
Same here on every count :-)

guess we shall see! I've heard some very poor recordings from folks who were legitimately trying. Stand close to the mic and turn the gain down in the mic pre - things like that are completely over the head of most beginners (and one guy who should have known better who I met just last week LoL... another story).

Cheers
Old 14th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemonkey3833 View Post
Chris-OP I know what your problem is. And it will happen again. It's your Behringer stuff. It gets too hot and makes everything sound like ass! Used to have an old Behringer mixer that did the same thing. To be honest man.... Start saving your cash, give some BJ's on the side or whatever you gotta do. Save for 5yrs if you have to, but toss your stuff in the trash! At least get a Focusrite interface or something. Get 3 jobs if you have to and don't sleep for a couple of months, eat Ramen noodles and Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for a year! I did! Tossed by crap Behringer stuff and now I've got a decent setup going. At a certain point gear doesn't matter, and that's a fact. But your not at that point yet! Less than $30 for your audio interface is going to cause those sorts of noises! That my friend is an abo****inglute fact! It ain't cheap or easy doing sound, and that sucks about this hobby/job! But the good news is, you can save and buy some pretty good gear for a few hundred dollars and get damned close results with just your stock interface, a decent mic(The Killers Mr. Brightside, sold millions, was recorded with an Sm58 $100 mic and that is a fact as well!)and stock plugins with whatever DAW your using. Even if it's Reaper for free. As long as you have mastered your craft you can do these things. But you at least have to get gear good enough that it doesn't sound like crap! There's a reason why when you see the pro's work they use expensive gear. But like I said, save a few hundred bucks, or do one of those Pay as you Play payment plans with Zzounds.com or Americanmusicasupply or Sweetwater and get a Focusrite interface for like 200$ a Shure 58 for $100 and you're in business! You already have an AT2020 which you can make work, so I'd get a 57 to record guitars instead if you don't already have one. If you can save more money and get that new Audient Solo interface if you play guitar, it's damn good for the price and you get good mic pre's, cab sims, etc. so more bang for the buck. Also, make sure that your power is clean, you have no light dimmer switches in your room(they cause electrical interference in guitar pickups and microphones/condensers especially), no cell phones when your recording they cause interference, try to also get a Furman power conditioner or something along those lines so you can be sure your power is not messing up your tracking session as well as any power outages are not trashing your equipment...better safe than sorry, and do some minimal room treatment! It sounded like you had none! There are plenty of cheap ways to build cheap room treatment options on youtube. A couple pieces of sticks nailed together as a frame and a bunch of cotton towels strung up between said frames. Make 8 of those and hang them on your walls and your refelctions will be reduced dramatically! No need to spend 10grand on room treatment with a $30 interface. You can make it with stuff you find around the house and a few scraps just to get rid of immediate reflections, and that will help a lot. Too much and you get the opposite effect btw, and it will make your stuff sound muddy, like singing in a tiny closet wrapped in cheap cardboard and foam you find in boxes or camping foam, or hell even a tiny closet stuffed to the gills with Auralex will make your vocals sound so muddy you'll have to cut everything below 800hz!

Once you get a decent audio interface, reduce your room reflections, make sure your power is clean, there is no reason that you can't make a radio-ready album/song with a few hundred dollar interface, a Shure 58/57 mic and a Daw! Unless your recording live drums and ****, if so then your ****ed!
And I use the term radio-ready very loosely!
A ton of Focusrites interfaces suck as well. Maybe not the Clarett ones, but the Scarlett ones aren't exactly something to write home about since they only perform about as well as Behringer (with the MIDAS pres) and Tascam stuff IMO.

Let's stop this whole "it's Behringer so it sucks" thing. Because the budget stuff from other brands like Focusrite, Presonus, Zoom, and Tascam can suck just as much as people say Behringer stuff does.

I'd sooner hook a Behringer UMC404HD into my phone than use another budget Zoom recorder. Returned my H6 a while back because I was quite disappointed.

Let's be real, the reasons the pros use some of the highest end gear available isn't because it's necessary. It's because they charge clients hundreds of dollars for clients to record. Otherwise a lot of people who don't record other people would use things that get the job done for cheap (i.e. WA87 or Warbler MKID instead of a U87).
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfChris View Post
Hello everyone, I've been having an issue I've never encountered that is driving me mad. I have a weird high pitch ring/overtone going on in any vocal track I record. Be it a soft whisper sing or a yell vocal, it appears. In 6 years of having my current setup I have never had this issue. I've tried different mics to see if it was a mic issue, but no matter what it's all the same.

This example was recorded with an AT2020 into my Behringer 502 mixer into the UCA22 (Behringer).

I read that this could be a feedback issue, but I'm not sure how as I don't record hot (the levels are hot here because I limited the track to make the ring easier to hear). I also wear closed back headphones, and with this specific vocal track, I recorded about 5 feet away from the mic.

Also, this only happens every other phrase it seems? The 2 words I didn't include in this were fine.

If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Here is the example of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5cpjzkwzj...Sound.wav?dl=0

*Want to note that when I record Guitar and Bass DI I have 0 issues with this sound.

Edit: I somehow forgot to add I have tested with multiple types of microphones and got the same issue every time.
if you are screaming like that I recommend a dynamic mic asap. I did not hear a anything noticeable that wouldn't get drowned out with the beat.

upgrade to a scarlet solo it's def a solid interface better than a Behringer plus it's only what a $100?

that audio tech mic sounds really bad too btw unless you have a good acoustic setup.

my friend has one and I shocked how it sounded in his treated booth but in a untreated room the highs sound awful....
Old 15th August 2019
If OP is gonna be upgrading to another budget interface, I'd recommend the UMC404HD. It's not gonna be worse than any of the cheaper Focusrite interfaces IMO (sorry, but the Scarlett series ones aren't great either, most stuff in that price range are pretty similar anyway).
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
I wouldn't bother changing the interface. They're ALL nearly flat and use nearly the same circuit, until you get into pricey models. And they ALL can make great recordings. I did a single years ago on a sound blaster 16. You only get a speck more background noise. That's its.

Now the mic.... maybe not a good choice. More I read, more it reminds me of the problems with the apex 435 LCD or apex 180 sdc.... a Ton of not vocal friendly high end.

Maybe a cheap sm58 copy? Honestly you can record a pretty gold 3 album vocal on a 58 or a 57. Way nicer vocal sound than what you're trying to fix now.

But with current mic, try a HF shelf EQ starting around 4kHz that is roughly 10db cut.

Just something to try and get you a vocal sound you can work with. I doubt that will be the final solution, but it's a start.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Sometimes a room will resonate at a certain frequency if it's poorly treated and the singer hits a certain note.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I'd go along with trying a SM58, one, it's great for "shouty" male vocals, two, it'll reduce the volume of the room reflections compared to the vocal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

But with current mic, try a HF shelf EQ starting around 4kHz that is roughly 10db cut.
Don't have a HF shelf EQ? OP can probably get the same muffled effect placing a large rag in your mouth while shouting/singing. Don't forget to breathe through your nose.

Sorry, I cannot take this seriously. Guessing I was born in the wrong decade.

Last edited by dwpthe3rd; 3 weeks ago at 05:28 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
Don't have a HF shelf EQ? OP can probably get the same muffled effect placing a large rag in your mouth while shouting/singing. Don't forget to breathe through your nose.

Sorry, I cannot take this seriously. Guessing I was born in the wrong decade.
I guess you're not aware of the 10 to 15db hf peak followed by overall higher output in the mic.

Decade has nothing to do with knowing engineering, electronics, and how to neutralize the apparent huge peak that mic has.

A Hf shelf or peak can sound great, but sometimes you need to reduce it to fix certain things.
Old 14 hours ago
Here for the gear

To all that responded, thanks. Sorry I abandoned this thread, had some health issues. Anyway, it seems the problem isn't much of a problem anymore. Somebody mentioned how a lot of recordings have some high pitched-ish sounds. Never really noticed them unless I listen closely.
For the yelling that is ringing. I just yelled closer to the mic. I also think at times it's just chance if the sound pops up when yelling or not.

I did end up getting a 2i2. Although once I did that, the issue stopped coming. I also have a SM58 clone and an old Shure PS53 .. but all had the same issues. Then the issue just sort of went away. I think moving closer to the mic for yells helped... and then realizing some cleans just have that sound. I mean I was listening to "Someone you loved" by Lewis Capaldi and this same ringing sound is huge on the chorus but it's still a hit.

Last edited by SelfChris; 13 hours ago at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Adding more info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search