The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording tenor saxophone (7 microphones shootout)
View Poll Results: Which recording method you like the most?
Sony A5100 built-in microphones
0 Votes - 0%
Shure 16AM microphone
0 Votes - 0%
Tascam DR-40 Digital Recorder
0 Votes - 0%
Shure KSM 27 microphone
0 Votes - 0%
Tascam LD 74 microphone
0 Votes - 0%
AKG Perception 170 microphones (stereo pair)
0 Votes - 0%
Shure SM98A microphone
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recording tenor saxophone (7 microphones shootout)

Hi folks,
I uploaded a video on which I compare 7 different microphones/recorders. Audio was recorded at the same time, so the sound source was the same for each microphone/recorder. I was surprised with the results. I'd like to know your opinions about which recording method gives the best results, I know this is a subjective opinion but it would be useful for me. The video has English subtitles

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Where were the mics positioned? One or two of them don't even sound like they were pointed directly at the sax.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Where were the mics positioned? One or two of them don't even sound like they were pointed directly at the sax.
That's a good question! Microphones were placed at around 3 feet away from the saxophone bell pointing to the bell but the camera mics were at the same distance but at around 30 degrees. Stereo recordings DR-40 and Perception 170 were XY format where the bisector was pointing to the bell.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Okay.

Normally, a "rigorous" mic shootout would require that every mic capture the same performance.

But in this situation, with that bunch of mics and your untreated room, I wouldn't do that. I'd just try to play fairly consistently and record one mic at a time, with the mic placed in the right spot.

As for placement in the right spot, many studio engineers would say that right at the bell is not it. To the player's right and pointed at the barrel from about 18" away is more like it. In your case that may sound too roomy so you might want to sneak in a little closer.

And stereo miking can be problematic. From that distance, any motion is going to be an audible distraction. With a standing sax player, there's always quite a bit of motion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
But in this situation, with that bunch of mics and your untreated room, I wouldn't do that. I'd just try to play fairly consistently and record one mic at a time, with the mic placed in the right spot.
I realized about that after doing the video. Also, the distance was too much for an untreated room and cardioid microphones.

Quote:
As for placement in the right spot, many studio engineers would say that right at the bell is not it. To the player's right and pointed at the barrel from about 18" away is more like it. In your case that may sound too roomy so you might want to sneak in a little closer.
Yes! Pointing to the bell right side allows to capture the sound which comes out from the open keys, the more you go out of axis the warmer is the recorded audio. The key is to find the right balance of brightness/core/warmth

Quote:
And stereo miking can be problematic. From that distance, any motion is going to be an audible distraction. With a standing sax player, there's always quite a bit of motion.
After doing this video i was experimenting with stereo recordings and I found the best results can be achieved with one microphone pointing to the bell or slightly to the left and the other microphone pointing to the right hand keys, at 10-15 inches.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search