The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic smooth as Rode NT2-A. (400$ budget)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The rode is a great mic, but have you looked at adding a different Pre instead as that might be part of the issue. Something inexpensive like the Wa73 or WA73eq or even a used groove tube brick? I have a tube mic which sounds fantastic on most male vocals. You could use a U47 or 251 clone as both would be great. I sometimes like to use a good ribbon, but unless they are active ribbon mics they will require a good pre (back to first suggestion) and I worry about buying used ones also. I do know the suggestions I made are priced higher than your budget but I would rather save up to get what I’d keep for a long time. The WArm 47 clone is fantastic and not to pricey and I am sure there are others....but I believe a good pre with good EQ in it is paramount to vocal chain. I’d stay away from the fet style 47 they are good for some things but don’t think they will give you what u need for the vocals
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Didn’t see anyone mention adk...best mics ever. I found a used one, just a little more than your budget. Seriously awesome mics: https://adkmic.com/collections/adk-t...dk-vienna-12-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by habarobba View Post
Well as title suggested, I have Rode NT2-A, i hate my voice on it. Makes me very Nasaly sounding, so i bought used ''Gen 1'' Blue Bluebird ( i have Blue Spark and i like my voice on it, but that mic is too narrow sounding and well ''unprofessional/cheap'' i guess)....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Mojave 201fet

You really have to try a bunch of different mics and see what works best for your voice. That being said, I highly recommend the Mojave 201fet if you can find one used. Never used one before but read lots of good reviews so I picked one up on Reverb for $400 (mint). Ridiculously good mic...and especially good at smoothing out the problematic mid range on harsh vocals. I've recorded with U47, AT4050, Aston Spirit, and Blue mics and I would take the Mojave over all of them on my voice (using LA610 and Phoenix Audio Pres).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by habarobba View Post
Well as title suggested, I have Rode NT2-A, i hate my voice on it. Makes me very Nasaly sounding, so i bought used ''Gen 1'' Blue Bluebird ( i have Blue Spark and i like my voice on it, but that mic is too narrow sounding and well ''unprofessional/cheap'' i guess).

My voice sounded good on Bluebird but it was the very old early 2000's version with different frequency response as the newer ones. It had certain crunch i didnt like, it ended up sounding cheap after compression etc. I dont know if its because it is the very old version of the Mic. And people called this mic ''Smooth'' also. Well compared to Rode NT2-A, its miles behind on that.

Well then i heard that Baby Bottle SL would be the more premium and not so harsh ''edgy'' Blue Mic, so i bought it. Huge disappointment, just as crunchy/edgy as the Bluebird, even more imo, and way more boomy.

I dont know if Rode's ''smoothness and wideness'' spoiled me, but these other mics just dont compare in term of smootheness and Hi-Fi(?) etc.

With Rode i can get very close to professional smooth radio ready vocal sound, basicly ''right on'' if you are average listener. Even with Scarlett 2i2 interface. I just dont like my voice on it, but the mic still sounds very professional and good in terms of quality.

So is there mics that still sound smooth/wide as Rode, but have just different character maybe?

Im thinking about these:

SE Electronics SE 2200
Audio-Technica AT4040(some hate on this? also lot of love, people say its just very dull and dont like the vocals on it etc)

I dont care if the mic would cost 100$~. If its just smooth/wide i might try it.
Having used The NT2-a, the Baby Bottle, Bluebird, the Spark, and lots of other mics, I can say this with confidence; None of these microphones are going to give you a "Radio-Ready" voice, in fact, no microphone alone, will give you this sound which you seek. A sound, begins with the source. Could I ask you to provide a recording of your voice? I find it difficult to choose vocal microphones without hearing the voice first.

The SM7B recommendation is a solid one but, I'd like to hear your voice before steering you towards one. You cannot go wrong with this microphone if, you are working in an untreated room. A $100 SM57 may surprise you, the only issue here is both of these choices are dynamic mics, and you'll need a preamp that will give you the gain these mics require.

As BLUE mics go, I like the Blueberry, kind of U87ish but, you're looking at a $1000 mic, it's a nice sounding mic, on the right source, saved me once while working with a songwriter who had a weak voice that nothing else I had worked well on.

btw, which genre?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vanguard V4 FET is highly recommended in that price range...
Old 3 weeks ago
The ADK Thor is 2 for 1 on their site. I haven't used it, but at $350 for one, you'd be to get a pair of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you all for so many suggestions, it would be a long message if i respond to all,(i might someday) but i already went with "WeissKlang V17" mic, it just arrived couple days ago. Now im "learning it" :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search