The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I've had the HS8s as my only monitors for a couple of years. I'm looking to upgrade.
Old 7th July 2019
Here for the gear

I've had the HS8s as my only monitors for a couple of years. I'm looking to upgrade.

I've not kept up with the audio community in a couple years. What are some monitors I should check out? Are the A7X's still regarded as one of the best in the category of a little over 1k? Budget is around $1200.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Nut

have you tought of adding something like a avantone mixcube?
Old 7th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist202 View Post
I've not kept up with the audio community in a couple years. What are some monitors I should check out? Are the A7X's still regarded as one of the best in the category of a little over 1k? Budget is around $1200.
Look at Focal and JBL's. In my opinion, these are the best bang for your buck. But JBL's are a little higher than you want to spend.

Focal Alpha 80 8 inch active studio monitors around $1,100 for a pair
Focal Shape 50 5" active studio monitor. The are side ported and bass sounds great in these little 5 inchers and can run you about $1500 for a pair

JBL 705P 7 Series 5" Powered Studio Monitor and they are front ported
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So many people seems to be unsatisfied with Adams A7X lower midrange dip. I've used classic A7 and experienced the same thing. If I were you I would wait and get something better. Focals 6 be and higher, Amphions, Barefoots, ATC, JBL, Quested, Neumann or Unity. Those seems to be real industry standart. I do not have experience with any of them than Adams, but I've read many threads on this theme and while Yamahas might not be the best sounding speakers, they are the most honest speakers in that price range and even above. Of course new Adam AX, or Focal Alpha users will tell you otherwise, while I think Adams are good sounding speakers doesn't mean they're accurate. I found them to be very unnatural.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk u View Post
have you tought of adding something like a avantone mixcube?
If you haven't a single mixcube already, I highly recommend this. In the end you can save several hundred dollars and trouble, keep your HS8's and still have a noticeable improvement in mixing. The Hs8's aren't awful in my experience. But to jump up in quality, you'll likely need to save for more than $1200.

Just another option on the table.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search