The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap LDC overheads
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Cheap LDC overheads

Hey,

I'm kinda in a search for cheap drum overheads that sound like AKG c414's doesn't have to be exact but I really want a quality mic that will hold up in the future even after I lets say have real AKG c414's. I've thought about using Lewitt mic's like the LCT 240 pro's but I'm very hesitant to go for cheaper lesser known brands if they work well though I'd love to get them. Also, I'd like to be able to use the mic on a lot of other sources like acoustic guitar, vocals, and guitar amplifiers.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I used a Warm WA14 on Overheads and was pretty happy with the sound. It’s their take on a vintage 414.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3U Audio TEAL CM1
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
3U Audio TEAL CM1
I’m using them right now, they are awesome, incredible value, to me as a OH mics they are better than any C414 from BULS going forward
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You won’t beat 3U for this kind of niche, in my view.

Scroll down always and I’ve got quite a few OH clips with various 3U mics.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fir_out
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
3U Audio TEAL CM1
Where do you buy this microphone, could you share a link? Also about that microphone, I found it on eBay but it ships from China which means most of my money wasted on import taxes into the Netherlands, I don't know if there is another way to get it, if so please do tell!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Using Oktava 319s, like them better than my AT 4050s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.S View Post
Where do you buy this microphone, could you share a link? Also about that microphone, I found it on eBay but it ships from China which means most of my money wasted on import taxes into the Netherlands, I don't know if there is another way to get it, if so please do tell!
The best way to get any 3U mic is to just email the owner.

[email protected]

You’ll get the best price and availability that way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I agree the 3U Teal CM-1s are a good option. But I do like the 414 ULS and TL II significantly better. The CM1’s might be on par with the new 414s although I haven’t had a chance to compare them directly.

They are great on vocals for the price. I thought they sounded a little boring on acoustic guitar. Pretty good on overheads.

If you search for the band “The Detroit Roll” on your streaming service of choice that entire album was recorded with Teal CM-1’s on drum overheads.

I think 3U also makes a Warbler version of this mic that should be a step up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Warbler is not dirt cheap, but still pretty affordable and high value for money. Plus it has some extras. Check out the MK IV. You may or may not like what the added transformer does on overheads. Regarding AKG C414, of all versions (with and without transformer) -EB is arguably the benchmark. It still had the legendary CK12 capsule (no nylon) as well as a transformer.

(Stuur me maar een PM als je niet zeker bent.)

Last edited by legato; 4 weeks ago at 09:33 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Using Oktava 319s, like them better than my AT 4050s.
Do you use them stock?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

In the short term I'd probably go with just one overhead, and get one of the less-pricy 414 variants. You may decide you like it enough that you'll buy a second one. If you don't and want to invest in a pricier pair, I'd guess a real 414 of any sort is going to be way more flippable than any of those other things that have been mentioned.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Punishment View Post
Do you use them stock?
Yep, although I've been meaning to do the easy mod of bypassing the level cut switch. I think the transformer in it is probably why prefer them over my ATs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the short term I'd probably go with just one overhead, and get one of the less-pricy 414 variants. You may decide you like it enough that you'll buy a second one. If you don't and want to invest in a pricier pair, I'd guess a real 414 of any sort is going to be way more flippable than any of those other things that have been mentioned.
This may be surprising, but the 3U CM1’s sell faster and at less of a discount on the used market than 414’s. I’ve sold both in the last three months. That hype thread in the Low End forum probably helps.

That being said, the 414 would be a better choice for the OP’s goal of being able to use it on multiple sources, and he said he wants to get 414’s someday anyway. If he likes the sound of mono drums then that would be the way to go.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
If he likes the sound of mono drums then that would be the way to go.
When people point out the flaws in my work, it's never about the mono drums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When people point out the flaws in my work, it's never about the mono drums.
Total n00b question-- but does "mono drums" mean you've recorded the drums with a single mic? Or rather, maybe several just panned dead center?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, when I first tried a Warbler (MKI and MKIV) years ago I tested them extensively against my trusty pair of 414b-ULS and then promptly sold the 414s and got a pair of Warblers (MKIDs). I loved the 414b-ULS and they’ve earned every bit of their reputation as solid, reliable, workhorse LDCs but I found the Warblers to be at least as good and classic sounding for much less money.

If they OP can swing a pair of them (get the MKIVDs if you want 414 territory), they’ll serve well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Total n00b question-- but does "mono drums" mean you've recorded the drums with a single mic? Or rather, maybe several just panned dead center?
Could be either.

But the other poster was just (I think) talking about using a single OH mic instead of a pair.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Could be either.

But the other poster was just (I think) talking about using a single OH mic instead of a pair.
Thank you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like Ragan said, could be either, but it just means there’s no stereo image to the drums. You can still get a stereo image of the kit with a mono overhead by using two room mics. You can also use two different mics on overheads if you do it right, or two different mics using the glyn johns technique, or several other possibilities, and none of them are right or wrong.

I use mono overheads once in a blue moon when I’m going for a specific sound. I wasn’t trying to imply that mono a mono overhead is wrong, more just saying that if the OP is going to buy just one mic for overheads then he needs to like that sound, or have another plan for a stereo image.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why the emphasis on LDC? SDC of the same caliber will be cheaper, and generally preferable or at least equal for overheads.

What's your budget?

My low-budget LDC favorite is a used AT4040, which you can find for $150 sometimes. Terrific mic that nobody ever talks about, significantly better than the better-known AT4033. (The cardioid AT4040 is more similar to the multi-pattern AT4050.)

My low-budget SDC favorite of the moment is the Lauten pair, which comes with cardioid and omni caps. Geez that is a pretty smart little buy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Why the emphasis on LDC? SDC of the same caliber will be cheaper, and generally preferable or at least equal for overheads.

My low-budget LDC favorite is a used AT4040, which you can find for $150 sometimes. Terrific mic that nobody ever talks about, significantly better than the better-known AT4033.
Ironically, the 4033 is SDC and 4040 is LDC
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Ironically, the 4033 is SDC and 4040 is LDC
That is kind of funny, is it true? The 4033 has an SDC capsule inside an LDC case?

I was just trying to give him an LDC option in case there's a strong reason to prefer that. I do feel that for the same money, you can get a better SDC pair than LDC pair as far as overheads go.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I love my MXL Revelation mics on Overheads. I'm no brand snob. Lots of polar response choices too. If it sounds good, it is good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
That is kind of funny, is it true? The 4033 has an SDC capsule inside an LDC case?
Technically none of them is LDC, but the capsule size in 4033 is 11.5mm and 20.4mm in 4040. I also like 4040 more, it's amazing on the kick drum, bass cabinet or anything with bass actually
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
https://advancedaudio.ca/collections...products/cm414

If the CM414 costs too much. Get the Line Audio CM3....err CM4 now.

A "real" 414 is the 414 EB with a copper cap. You will not find a cost effective mic that will be the same ball park (Want to use) after you have real ones. The CM414 is your best bet to get close to that sound. I think that's a better mic than AKG makes today.

Once you get into "real mics" You will pick one of the following for overheads, depending on the sound you want:
KM84, Coles 4038, 414EB, U47, U67, 251. The last 3 come in 10 cost levels of clones these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
kub
Here for the gear

from what i know, Lewitt is run by former AKG engineers and is producing practicaly in the factory next door (in china.. no factory in austria left, sadly). i definitely wouldn't be afraid to use Lewitt, solid mics.
imho, after owning several "cheapish" LDCs, i learned to appreciate the various pickup patterns, pad & LoCut that a real 414 offers (i get to use them in a jazzclub a lot). that's what makes it a truly universal mic, and that's what i would go for should i ever have money left over to spend. my 2 cents.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+1200&_sacat=0

I have a matched pair of Cad GLX 1200's for sale on Ebay
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Surprised that no one has mentioned the CAD M179 yet... they're very similar to a 414 and have the infinitely variable polar pattern. But they're ugly mics, aesthetically.

I shot one out against a 414 (not sure which variant...XLII maybe) and they were very similar, CAD had a bit more harshness to the sound. But for the price, they're a bargain. Also gearslutz loves them on toms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Lewitt mics are AKG 2.0 !
The new LCT441 Flex is the true LDC multipattern mic you might want @$400. See some reviews...
Lewitt LCT 441 FLEX

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search