The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap LDC overheads
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Another +1 for 3U Audio. Guosheng is awesome and is usually very quick to answer emails himself. Ragan posted the email- here's the website:

http://www.3uaudio.com/index.asp

I love my pair of mkVID and have a few others. He responds to "out of stock" items as well, I asked about the mkIII when out of stock, and had it on my doorstep 2 weeks later. I need to ask him about the 251 tube- haven't seen it in a while.

I love Lewitt's as well, but definitely give 3U audio a look.
Old 1 week ago
Lewitts are pretty nice (the LDCs like the 440 Pure and more expensive ones are anyway). No worse sounding than any of the modern C414s IMO. The CAD M179 might be what you're looking for though since they're really cheap and have a similar sound.

If you go with Lewitt I'd go for the LCT 441 Flex because it's only around $400 and multipattern, and very low self noise. The CAD M179 is something like $220 USD I believe, I think it'll get you a similar sound, but more self noise (also works with 24v DC but needs 8mA current so you'll probably need a good interface or a dedicated phantom power supply).

Both of those mics have the same frequencies emphasized as the C414 XLS, so if you don't like that sound you might want to avoid those mics.

Nothing wrong with 3U Audio either. Their multipattern Warblers go for around the same as the Lewitt LCT 441, and the Warbler MKID comes really close to the U87 sound (though I chose to get some used AT4050s instead for the resale value). You could also just buy a bunch of CM1s (personally I liked the black model), or get their SDCs (I know you want an LDC, but 3U's SDCs are amazing for the price).

Also look at iSK's stuff. I don't know how well the Pearl would work on overheads (larger SDC, like the Oktava MK-012), but it's a great mic for $30.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 1 week ago at 02:05 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How cheap is cheap? What’s the budget?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
How cheap is cheap? What’s the budget?
They're considering some Lewitt LCT 240 Pros so probably around $150 USD per mic. Which is why I recommended the CAD M179. They go for like $220 USD new so they should be able to get a pair for around for a bit more than a pair of the Lewitt LCT 240 Pros (it's a "medium" diaphragm mic, and they're not great IMO, but I love the LCT 441). They're also looking for something C414 like, and the CADs are the cheapest thing close to a C414 XLS I can think of (Lewitt's multipattern mics cost at least twice as much as the M179, but boy are they beautiful, really solid construction, low self noise).

The CAD M179 I've seen go for $150 used. There's a pair on Reverb for $340ish CAD which is around $250 USD. Be wary of the shipping though, it says it would be over $100 to ship here (but I'm in Ontario, it comes from New York but I've always thought a seemingly too good to be true price plus high shipping is how people make you think you're getting a deal {unless the extra shipping price is the seller paying for the duties which I doubt}. My AT4050 pair which also came from New York was only $50 shipped). Here's the listing https://reverb.com/item/26052194-cad...ser-microphone

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 1 week ago at 10:05 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Most of my work is mixing live music for TV and/or festivals/events so we have visual issues as well as audio ones - preferably small and pretty rather than big and ugly!
So, current faves for me are the Audio-Technica AE3000s, which produce an amazing sound on the loudest sources (max SPL=148db before the 10dB pad goes in) which we regularly use on snare, hi-hat and overheads. They're also first choice for congas, table etc. Their small size means that the camera/production team like them and we're not worried because they sound great.
At around UK£250 each, that may be outside your budget, in which case I'd suggest either Rode NT5s or AKGC3000s as more affordable alternatives.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Owh wow, I have only just noticed how much this thread blew up I'm probably buying the mic(s) somewhere next year, so some time will pass because I have to be able to justify the purchase for how much I will use it since I don't earn any money yet with recording and mixing.
I really appreciate all your contributions! Sorry that I haven't been responding much to the thread, I just got a internship at a live audio and lighting rental company so I've been busy working!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search