The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pre-Amp for TLM 102
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOmni View Post
Oh man you are dumb. Yes, I was well aware they were telling me to turn the instruments down. I needed to hear the instrumental as loud as it was. I have direct monitoring, which turns the instruments down already just by being on. Turning the monitoring up on my interface would NOT get the instrumental back up. Seriously, think before you type next time.
Can you explain why “Turning the monitoring up on my interface would NOT get the instruments back up”? Others are explaining for you that the interface headphone amp is clipping, but if it didn’t clip before, it wouldn’t clip if you turned the instruments down and turned the interface output up to return to the same level. So what is the problem?
If, as others say, it isn’t a clipping problem, but a lack of available gain, so if you turn elements of the mix down you CAN’T turn the overall mix up, OK.
Which is it?

As to your “Oh man you are dumb” comment... That’s a personal insult delivered on an Internet forum that is by nature remote and impersonal. It is unfortunately common that unethical people use that disconnect to be the complete jerk they truly are, but can’t be in person.
I am only seeking to understand your problem, which does not make sense to me as stated, though it seems to make sense to a few other posters.
If there was a fair and honest method to compare my level of dumb to yours, I’d be very happy to participate. But that’s not supposed to be the point of the forum.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Can you explain why “Turning the monitoring up on my interface would NOT get the instruments back up”? Others are explaining for you that the interface headphone amp is clipping, but if it didn’t clip before, it wouldn’t clip if you turned the instruments down and turned the interface output up to return to the same level. So what is the problem?
If, as others say, it isn’t a clipping problem, but a lack of available gain, so if you turn elements of the mix down you CAN’T turn the overall mix up, OK.
Which is it?

As to your “Oh man you are dumb” comment... That’s a personal insult delivered on an Internet forum that is by nature remote and impersonal. It is unfortunately common that unethical people use that disconnect to be the complete jerk they truly are, but can’t be in person.
I am only seeking to understand your problem, which does not make sense to me as stated, though it seems to make sense to a few other posters.
If there was a fair and honest method to compare my level of dumb to yours, I’d be very happy to participate. But that’s not supposed to be the point of the forum.

I can't turn the interface output up because it's already at maximum volume. And what makes you dumb is not just you not realizing that, its you continuing to argue on someone elses thread for weeks after multiple people have already explained to you what was going on.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't turn the interface output up because it's already at maximum volume. And what makes you dumb is not just you not realizing that, its you continuing to argue on someone elses thread for weeks after multiple people have already explained to you what was going on.
A couple of things... This thread doesn’t belong to anyone except Gearslutz, so it isn’t “someone else’s thread”. Nothing here beyond your opinion belongs to you.
And no one before your last post said you ran out of monitor gain, they were talking about preamp gain. People kept saying the interface was clipping. Clipping is hard distortion. That is a very different thing from running out of gain, which causes no distortion. I understand the problem now and have no argument with anyone.

Last edited by Bushman; 2 days ago at 02:44 PM.. Reason: free time
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Focusrite ISA One has direct monitoring built in.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
A couple of things... This thread doesn’t belong to anyone except Gearslutz, so it isn’t “someone else’s thread”. Nothing here beyond your opinion belongs to you.
And no one before your last post said you ran out of monitor gain, they were talking about preamp gain. People kept saying the interface was clipping. Clipping is hard distortion. That is a very different thing from running out of gain, which causes no distortion. I understand the problem now and have no argument with anyone.
Glad you finally understand.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Focusrite ISA One has direct monitoring built in.
Correct, this is what I was using.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
No, I'm not missing any concept. The headphones are already at maximum volume.
then you need more efficient headphones or a more powerful headphone amp than the one built into your interface.

If you still think a microphone preamp will solve the problem, then you are missing a concept.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Glad you finally understand.
Don’t care much for fake gladness, but you wear it well.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII is a good start.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

It seems like what you want is two devices:
1) A high quality preamp with *two outputs* of the same signal. Maybe a Grace Design M101 Preamp for around $750, or a Neve Portico 5017 for around $1000. The Neve costs more, but it is "Neve", and it has a compressor, which is good for avoiding digital overs while tracking. Either one would be fine and would be at a professional level.
2) A small analog utility mixer, such as a Mackie 402VLZ4 ($100).

So you do this:
mic >> preamp
preamp output >> daw recorder
preamp duplicate output >> small mixer
daw mix output >> small mixer
small mixer >> headphones
headphones >> head

what goes into the recorder? the mic preamp output.
what goes into the mixer? the duplicate mic preamp output and your daw tracks playback.
what goes on your head? the headphones attached to the mixer
how do you balance the levels in your headphones? with the knobs on the mixer.
do these faders affect the mic preamp output going into the recorder? not at all. completely independent
do you get to listen to your mic sound with zero latency? yes.
do you have to fuss around with the daw? no.

You listen to everything from the headphone output on the small utility mixer.

With this setup, you get your mic signal in real time. you can control the levels of the mic sound and the track sound on the small mixer without it affecting the output going into the recorder. you get an all analog outboard setup, without having to mess with the daw settings. you also get a clean mic signal going straight into the recorder.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
So you do this:
mic >> preamp
preamp output >> daw recorder
preamp duplicate output >> small mixer
daw mix output >> small mixer
small mixer >> headphones
headphones >> head
... You listen to everything from the headphone output on the small utility mixer.
all for nought if the "small utility mixer" has an underpowered headphone amp. Which so many of them do! That would put him right back where he started. I think he would not be having an issue if his interface could simply drive his headphones louder.

Quote:
how do you balance the levels in your headphones? with the knobs on the mixer.
From my reading of his posts, I don't think the "balancing" is real problem. It appears he can balance the vocal and the track in the cue mix, but only at a combined level that is too low for him to "feel the music". I worry about people's ears, but putting that aside, it seems that getting a more powerful headphone amp will get him where he wants to be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search