The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My tone sucks
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My tone sucks

TL;DR
It feels like I've tried everything and my sound is still garbo. I'm trying to record through a VST signal chain, and I can't quite test if my tone issues are coming similarly through my cheap practice live amp.

This is what I'm sounding like with my typical settings:
https://soundcloud.com/curefordisco/sample2

A quick sample mix while I was testing settings (yeah I know the mix sucks too):
https://soundcloud.com/curefordisco/jam2

Clean signal with download link:
https://soundcloud.com/curefordisco/sample99

Signal chain:

Ibanez RG8 with brand new DiMarzio pickups
>
new gold plated patch cable
>
Focusrite 2i2
>
Ableton 10
>
Gate
>
TSE808
>
Ignite Emissary (settings: https://imgur.com/ZjixQz0 )
>
NadIR (I've tried a couple of IR loaders and close to 100 IRs and none have made a significantly better sound, so I don't think this is the problem. open to recommendations though)
>
EQ (hi/low pass, small cuts around 4k and 2k depending on IR)

My best intuition is that possibly something is damaged in the wiring from when I replaced my pickups? My solders are relatively clean and I don't think I hit any of the pots or wires significantly in the process, but I can't find anything else in the chain that could be ruining my sound like this. I researched in-depth wiring diagrams for the pickups I bought and cross-referenced them with diagrams for the guitar, so I'm confident I have the wiring correct. But again, open to any ideas.

I'm relatively new to metal recording but I've done MONTHS of research on boards and Youtube while piecing together my studio and saving up for the gear I wanted. I really felt like I had everything I needed to do the "laptop guitarist" thing, but no matter what I do, my guitar comes out super muddy, thin, and small as seen in the examples above. I've scoured dozens of "OMG SICK METAL TONE WITH FREE VST" videos on Youtube from established channels and even tried copying settings exactly, but nothing seems to give me a full sound. The Ignite Emissary comes recommended by lots of professional engineers and guitarists as a solid plug-in for great metal tones, so I hope this isn't the issue, and I've tested several IR packs as recommended by the masses as well.

ANY guidance would be extremely appreciated as I am quite deflated by my failure to launch thus far. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this (and it won't be an expensive fix).

Thanks so much for your time,

Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

The problem is your guitar has two to many strings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My suggestion would be get a proper amp and mic it with an SM57.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It feels like I've tried everything and my sound is still garbo. I'm trying to record through a VST signal chain, and I can't quite test if my tone issues are coming similarly through my cheap practice live amp.
If you plug your guitar into a Hi-Z input and use guitar amp sims like Guitar Rig or something, you can get great results with it. If you are unable to get good results, then i would concentrate on knowing what every knob and setting and switch does in the VST amp sim you are using.

Also, Double track guitar (play the same part twice and pan them opposite of each other.)
Also, Use reverbs, chorus, compressors and EQ to taste and you should have no problems
Also, mix your guitar in the context of the mix. Do not solo the guitar to adjust settings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmarquis View Post
EQ (hi/low pass, small cuts around 4k and 2k depending on IR)
Data point: sample2 sounded to me like it was recorded at 22KHz, so I looked, and spectral display shows very little above 7 KHz. That probably doesn't help, though maybe it's soundcloud's processing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
It’s a weird sound. Just make some weird music to go with it and people will think you did it on purpose.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds good . . I like the sample mix one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search