The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monkey Banana Turbo 5 vs. JBL 305P
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Monkey Banana Turbo 5 vs. JBL 305P

HI guys and girls. I have owned the Yamaha hs80 speakers for 12 years and recently sold them. Now I am looking for new monitors. I haven't heard any of aforementioned. Has anyone listened to them both or demo'd them side by side?
Old 3 weeks ago
The 305p I've heard. I did not like them at all. The crossover is weird and makes the high mids sound choked and harsh.

Of the Turbos, I have only seen and read a few reviews. All of them point out that the bass is good and stereo imaging is very good but the sharpness of the sounds is lacking and a little boxy sound. I also don't feel their customer support is that good. Myself have send them an enquiry email a month ago but never received a reply so far.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Neither. The Monkeys Bananas aren't flat and what the above poster said about the LSR 305 is true. The LSR 305 is only worth it on sale for under 200 USD a pair and only if you cannot afford anything else.

I'd recommend the KRK Rokit 5 G4 or the Yamaha HS8 for under 1000 a pair. Both are very usable. The G4 is a massive improvement on the previous Rokits and the HS8 are flatter than the HS80.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted e999d8e
LSR305's and LSR305MkII's were both recommended to me by a professional audio engineers, guys with decades-worth of experience in their respective fields. KRK Rokits aren't even mentioned in discussions around here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How does the sound of the JBL 305 compare to the sound of the yammahas hz series?
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted e999d8e
The last time I listened to Yamaha monitors was in Sweetwater's Ft. Wayne showroom more than 3 years ago. Sorry about that.

My JBL305's compare favorably to my KEF 8" passive, 2-way floorstanders, though, which beat the living crap out of anything made by KRK or Yamaha. In fact, I've never had to re-EQ the JBL's above 500Hz, even after moving th 305's off of my very reflective desk to floor stands, the mid-range and treble response are that smooth.

KRK's obvious quality control issues scare the living hell out of me. I wouldn't accept a set of Gen 4 KRK's if they threw in a resort weekend with the USC cheerleading squad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
LSR305's and LSR305MkII's were both recommended to me by a professional audio engineers, guys with decades-worth of experience in their respective fields. KRK Rokits aren't even mentioned in discussions around here.
Same with me. I had a few engineer friends refer jbl 305/ 306 p mk ii and i ended up settling for the 306 p mk ii and they translate very well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
Uh they were recommended to you as they are the cheapest possible semi-usable monitor, going for as low as 150 usd a pair on sale.

KRK Rokits were way more popular than JBL LSR 305 as tracking, reference, or secondary monitors in music recording studios. The more expensive and older KRKs (V Line, Expose, and the passive 6000s and K-Roks) are in positions no JBL has been in since the 60s. Now the tech from the more expensive KRKs has bled down to the Rokits, making them insanely value for the price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
The last time I listened to Yamaha monitors was in Sweetwater's Ft. Wayne showroom more than 3 years ago. Sorry about that.

My JBL305's compare favorably to my KEF 8" passive, 2-way floorstanders, though, which beat the living crap out of anything made by KRK or Yamaha. In fact, I've never had to re-EQ the JBL's above 500Hz, even after moving th 305's off of my very reflective desk to floor stands, the mid-range and treble response are that smooth.

KRK's obvious quality control issues scare the living hell out of me. I wouldn't accept a set of Gen 4 KRK's if they threw in a resort weekend with the USC cheerleading squad.
Why the hell are you so dismissive and comparing monitors to a brand of hi-fi speakers that always sound like someone pressed the loudness button on an old receiver? You must like that midrange loss as both the JBLs and KEFs have them.

The JBL 305’s hiss is much worse than the Rokit 5 G4 and older Rokits. KRK and JBL have no real QC issues. They are not Focal. Their stuff is produced by the millions and sounds the same.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am scraping the Monkey Banana Turbo 5's from my wishlist. It seems they are very bad monitors. A tad bit more revealing than say theKRK Rokit's but bad nonetheless. It seems the Lemur and Baboon series from this same brand however are a different ballgame. They cost less than the turbo's and are way up there with the better monitors. It still seems the JBL305P at 100 a piece are a way better deal than 600 for a pair of Turbo 5's

The MB Furbo's looked fun. but now it's back to boring rectangles :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSampling View Post
I am scraping the Monkey Banana Turbo 5's from my wishlist. It seems they are very bad monitors. A tad bit more revealing than say theKRK Rokit's but bad nonetheless. It seems the Lemur and Baboon series from this same brand however are a different ballgame. They cost less than the turbo's and are way up there with the better monitors. It still seems the JBL305P at 100 a piece are a way better deal than 600 for a pair of Turbo 5's

The MB Furbo's looked fun. but now it's back to boring rectangles :(
The Turbo 5 are not worse than the LSR 305 and the new KRK Rokit 5 G4 are far more revealing than both the LSR 305 mkII and the Turbo 5. Better drivers. Go to a music store and check them out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I haven’t heard the monkey bananas, however I own a pair of 305P MK2s and think they sound amazing. I prefer them over the KRK Rokits, but haven’t really heard any other monitors. I’m definitely newer to audio, but I think you’d be perfectly happy with the JBLs. (Although I guess it also depends what kind of music you’re making)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodwinner31 View Post
I haven’t heard the monkey bananas, however I own a pair of 305P MK2s and think they sound amazing. I prefer them over the KRK Rokits, but haven’t really heard any other monitors. I’m definitely newer to audio, but I think you’d be perfectly happy with the JBLs. (Although I guess it also depends what kind of music you’re making)

Hello ipodwinner31. Can you describe the difference between the 305 and the rokit rp5?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Unfortunately i cannot explain the difference. I only heard them each briefly when comparing, and wasn't directly side by side. I've also loved JBL for a while, so maybe i am just biased.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search