The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noob looking for monitors, but back wall is far away
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Noob looking for monitors, but back wall is far away

I'm looking for my first nearfield monitors and I'm looking at the usual suspects: Adam T5V, JBL 305p Mk2, Kali Audio LP-6 and Focal Alpha 50.

I think the way my desk is oriented is, let's say, unique. The room itself is 5x3 meters, and I'm sitting with my back against one of the 5m walls. The speakers will be about 1,5m in front of me. Probably the most logical thing to do would be to reverse position and have me facing the wall instead of having it to my back, but I simply cannot do this.

I see that the Adam and JBL have their bass ports to the back while the Kali and Focal have theirs in the front. What would be the better choice for me?

When choosing between the Focal and Kali, my preference goes to the Kali (someone I know had problems with Focal and received no support, and the Kali's are cheaper). However, on their website they mention the minimum distance is 2,2m. Reading this forum, I see others having success with the Focals being close.

I'm a guitar player and it will mostly be used to record my part and pass it on. I use a Helix if that's of any importance.

I'm stumped at this point, just hoping I gave enough information and asked the right questions. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted e999d8e
If you had no choice but to park your monitors, say, 35cm or less from a wall, forward-firing ports would probably be the best option. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't make any difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It seems the minimum distance of the Kali LP-6 dictates it will be the Focal Alpha 50 then. Thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"However, on their website they mention the minimum distance is 2,2m"
No, the manual says they measure at that distance for 85db

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
"However, on their website they mention the minimum distance is 2,2m"
No, the manual says they measure at that distance for 85db

Matti
Oh, I misread, and I'm really happy about that. They're quite big, do you think it will work at a listening distance of 1,5m? I know of at least one person here on Gearslutz that uses the Focal's that close.

It's not that I prefer one over the other (I have no way to compare), but the Kali's will save me a bit of dough.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Without hearing the Kali´s I would say you´d do alright.
When downsizing I chose the Adam T5`s but with a EVE subwoofer and I use Sonarworks

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
You should listen to them before buying if you have that opportunity. I know someone who was disappointed with the noise that the kali were making at rest.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulungu View Post
You should listen to them before buying if you have that opportunity. I know someone who was disappointed with the noise that the kali were making at rest.
I wish I could.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Definitely consider Yamaha hs-8 in your search. I sold a pair of focal CMS 65 because I greatly prefer the Yamaha hs-8. I used the Yamaha hs-8 sub with them as well, but they are fantastic without the sub. They tell me everything I want to know about a mix, they translate very well to other systems, and they are simply a joy to listen to. Have fun in your search, and remember it's all just opinions. Your opinion is the one that matters the most. Make your ears happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
If you had no choice but to park your monitors, say, 35cm or less from a wall, forward-firing ports would probably be the best option. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't make any difference.
Wait ... after re-reading your post. I think you're saying that in my situation, the position of the bass port doesn't matter. Is that correct?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
Definitely consider Yamaha hs-8 in your search
That would bring the shopping cart above my budget. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Herring View Post
That would bring the shopping cart above my budget. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I saw that the focal Alpha 50 that you are considering are $300 each at Sweetwater and Sam Ash. I paid less than $600 for my pair of hs-8 brand new so I figured they would be within your budget. You can get a good price if you shop around. Check reverb.com for good prices on new Yamaha hs-8, and try proaudiostar in New York City for excellent prices and free shipping.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
I saw that the focal Alpha 50 that you are considering are $300 each at Sweetwater and Sam Ash. I paid less than $600 for my pair of hs-8 brand new so I figured they would be within your budget. You can get a good price if you shop around. Check reverb.com for good prices on new Yamaha hs-8, and try proaudiostar in New York City for excellent prices and free shipping.
This is exactly why I always fill in the Location field in my profile. As it says on the left: The Netherlands.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Kali audio are coming out with a new 8" 3-way model, maybe wait for that one. Never heard the Kali stuff myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is exactly why I always fill in the Location field in my profile. As it says on the left: The Netherlands.
Oh, my mistake, sorry! I should pay more attention to the geographic implications of all this gear love.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you are set on the LP6, why not wait for the IN8? They should be out soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
If you are set on the LP6, why not wait for the IN8? They should be out soon.
The only reason I'm leaning towards that one, is price. Why would I wait for a more expensive one? If it doesn't matter if the port is on the front or back (still not sure about that, that's why I asked for confirmation), I would just go for the JBL's.

Life on a budget, sigh ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The only reason I'm leaning towards that one, is price. Why would I wait for a more expensive one? If it doesn't matter if the port is on the front or back (still not sure about that, that's why I asked for confirmation), I would just go for the JBL's.

Life on a budget, sigh ...
I think the IN8 should cost less than the alphas. The port does make a big difference, especially the front port seems to work a lot better in my room. I have the Eve Audio sc205 which is rear ported. Due to that there were some placement problems in my room. The LP6 seems to work much better for me. Their port is also well designed. But I've heard of some QC issues with these monitors. I got a pair without hiss issues but I can't say the same for others.
Hence I think your safer bet would be with the IN8.
If you are dead tight on money, buy from somewhere that has a good return policy. Kali Audio has been known for good after sales support.
The JBLs I personally didn't like. Their crossover sounds weird and choked. Kali is flat in that area and uses better woofers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

... interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The new KRK Rokit 5 G4 are great for this price bracket. The hiss is inaudible too. They're way better than the JBLs and the mids are more present than the HS8.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Just FYI I emailed Kali last week about the three ways in8 and was told that it’s going to be a while before there available.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I work the same way. Sitting in front of a wall looking into the room while working. I have a pair of Barefoot MicroMain 27 (1st Gen). Ceiling and back wall (the wall I'm facing) is treated. Works great for me. I had Genelecs, Jungsons and Tannoys before. No problem with the position. Only the Genelecs1031A hat some bass boost in one corner of the room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxer View Post
I work the same way. Sitting in front of a wall looking into the room while working. I have a pair of Barefoot MicroMain 27 (1st Gen). Ceiling and back wall (the wall I'm facing) is treated. Works great for me. I had Genelecs, Jungsons and Tannoys before. No problem with the position. Only the Genelecs1031A hat some bass boost in one corner of the room.
Man, those MicroMains. A tad out of my league.
Thanks for mentioning your position. I can probably get away with treatment later on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Just FYI I emailed Kali last week about the three ways in8 and was told that it’s going to be a while before there available.
Thanks. I'm hoping to order end of this week. Don't want to keep pushing it off until the next latest and greatest is here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I strongly recommend buying something decent, even if it means waiting another week or whatever.

So, Adam or Yamaha is a good bet around that budget, or a little over.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm looking for my first nearfield monitors and I'm looking at the usual suspects: Adam T5V, JBL 305p Mk2, Kali Audio LP-6 and Focal Alpha 50.

I think the way my desk is oriented is, let's say, unique. The room itself is 5x3 meters, and I'm sitting with my back against one of the 5m walls. The speakers will be about 1,5m in front of me. Probably the most logical thing to do would be to reverse position and have me facing the wall instead of having it to my back, but I simply cannot do this.

I see that the Adam and JBL have their bass ports to the back while the Kali and Focal have theirs in the front. What would be the better choice for me?

When choosing between the Focal and Kali, my preference goes to the Kali (someone I know had problems with Focal and received no support, and the Kali's are cheaper). However, on their website they mention the minimum distance is 2,2m. Reading this forum, I see others having success with the Focals being close.

I'm a guitar player and it will mostly be used to record my part and pass it on. I use a Helix if that's of any importance.

I'm stumped at this point, just hoping I gave enough information and asked the right questions. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry havent read the thread yet so answering only based on the above.
Will the room be openned behind the speakers ? The way you describe it there will be more than 1m behind the speakers. If yes I dont think the bass port matters. I would have more concerns with the lack of space and the possibility of reflections behind you. Save some money for maybe putting something on the wall at your back to control reflections.
I guess it depends what your aim is. Do you want the setup that sound best for you, or do you want a setup that will reveal the problems that your result will have elsewhere ? I did a mix for fun for a friend that sounded pretty gound on my system, but when we listened to it on his PA there was not enough bass, and there were a bit too much in his car
It’s always a compromise ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB View Post
Sorry havent read the thread yet so answering only based on the above.
Will the room be openned behind the speakers ? The way you describe it there will be more than 1m behind the speakers. If yes I dont think the bass port matters. I would have more concerns with the lack of space and the possibility of reflections behind you. Save some money for maybe putting something on the wall at your back to control reflections.
The wall is about 3m in front of me. I got some of that pyramid foam to cover the wall behind me. As said, this is the space I'm working with for the moment.

Thanks for your explanation about the bass port.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Took a day off and, after a two hour drive (!), had the chance to compare the Adam T5V and T7V, Focal Alpha 50, Kali LP-6 and the JBL 305 (the older ones). Long story short, I didn't like the JBLs, and I don't really know why. They just sounded off to me. The Kali didn't work for me up close, but they sounded amazing when further away. I liked the T5V better than the T7V, their midrange was so sweet. It felt like the was a hole in the T7V's midrange, I don't know how to describe it. The Focals I also really, really liked. After comparing the Alpha 50 with the T5V I couldn't decide, so after coming home I chose the cheapest, which was the Adam T5V. Here's hoping they perform just as well at their new home.

I listened at 1m, and brought mostly Jazz, Jazz Rock, and derivatives and one Ravel CD. Not sure if that's the correct way to test them, but I thought, better to bring something I'm used to listening.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The wall is about 3m in front of me. I got some of that pyramid foam to cover the wall behind me. As said, this is the space I'm working with for the moment.

Thanks for your explanation about the bass port.
Dont worry about the size of the room, I have a pair of big full range speakers and a 250wpc amp in a room similar to yours, and it sounds great
But if possible, since you cannot change the place you listen from, try a couple of speaker positions before you fix them, trying to be not too close to the walls for a good sound and good imaging. Sometimes just 15cm in any direction or a bit of experimentation on the toe-in can change a lot. Good luck !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't matter, all speakers are omni up to 150-200 Hz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search