The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Project Studio Budget Question
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Project Studio Budget Question

Hi all,

I'm a bit torn on the next purchase I should make for my studio. I'm currently running Studio One 4 through my Studio Live Series III 32, and my best vocal mics are my Shure SM7B and an AKG P420 condenser. My question is, would I get a better value and greater improvement in vocal recording quality by adding in a UA Arrow ($500) or a Warm Audio WA-47 ($900)? One thing pulling my decision right now is the fact that UA is giving away a bunch of plug-ins right now if you buy a new Arrow or Apollo. What do you think I should do? Thanks all!
Old 3 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
What do you plan on recording, guitar, voice, whole band.? That makes a difference about how to proceed and where to put funds. I imagine the Apollo would be more useful, but you’ll still need a condenser mic at some point.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Arrow only gives you one free plug beyond the usual (Antares autotune) and it's only one dsp chip. Getting an Arrow would be a pointless exercise.
Apollo Twin quad makes sense from a dsp point of view but not as an interface.
Why would you swap the 64 in/64 out of the Studiolive for a 2 in/4 out interface.
It doesn't give you any appreciable upgrade in preamps or conversion either.
Get the mic.
If you want UAD plugs just buy a second-hand quad satellite/Pci-e.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I went with the mic. I wasn't sure what exactly the value added would be of the interface (quality of preamps, advantages of thunderbolt, etc.) so the mic seemed to be the better option. Plus I found an open box one and saved quite a bit on it. Thanks again all!
Old 3 weeks ago
Get an apollo and the wa-47jr. Will stay under the cost of the wa-47 and will sound killer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search