The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small mixer with monitoring (cue)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Small mixer with monitoring (cue)

I need a small mixer for a set up that includes digitakt, digitone, microfreak, mic, guitar.
I’ve been looking at the Mackie mix12fx, Allen n Heath zedfx. Stuff like that.

I was wondering if there are any small format mixers out there that allow for monitoring channels while performing live. Basically like a DJ would cue a channel in the headphones before bringing it into the main mix.

Thanks for any info. ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I'm correct and at first glance the Mackie can't do that. It doesn't have a monitor section. The channels have FX send but it is not possible to switch the headphone out to this source.
The Pro FX8 from Mackie would allow this. It has a monitor section and you can mute channels, so they don't go to the main out.

Most mixers with a monitor section have an aux or fx send poti in every channel. And in the monitor section you can choose if you want to listen to the main mix or the aux-mix. Terminology can vary between different manufacturers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
If I'm correct and at first glance the Mackie can't do that. It doesn't have a monitor section. The channels have FX send but it is not possible to switch the headphone out to this source.
The Pro FX8 from Mackie would allow this. It has a monitor section and you can mute channels, so they don't go to the main out.

Most mixers with a monitor section have an aux or fx send poti in every channel. And in the monitor section you can choose if you want to listen to the main mix or the aux-mix. Terminology can vary between different manufacturers.
So mixers that have aux or fx sends are able to do this ?
Cool. Idk why I have issues understanding routing sometimes.
But yeah that pro fx looks great.
Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-channel-mixer

Is this one able to do it?

Last edited by uoad; 4 weeks ago at 06:05 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't think so. You don't just need an aux or fx send per channel, you need a monitor section which allows you to choose the aux send as the source or an Alt 3-4. And you need a mute button on each channel, which takes the channel out of the main mix and sends it to Alt 3-4.

These are two different concepts. I hope it isn't too confusing.
Aux sends are there to send a part of the signal to for example an effect-unit. But you can use it as well for a monitor mix if the monitor section allows you to choose it as a monitor source.
This allows you to have an independant monitor mix independant from the volume of the channel. Aux sends always have related outputs on the mixer.

Alt 3-4 is just an internal signal flow. Instead of going to the main bus, the signal goes to the monitor. But the volume remains dependant from the channel setting and you can't send the same signal to the main-out. It is whether main OR Alt 3-4. The Aux-solution allows both. For example a bass player wants to hear himself louder than the other musicians, but he still wants to have all the other instruments in his monitor mix and you can set the volume for every individual instrument to his liking and send the same instruments to the main out, but at a different volume level, for example to the PA.

These are two examples:

You press mute/Alt3-4 in the channel and choose Alt-3-4 as the source in the monitor sextion (here called CR for control room)

https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_1402_vlz4.htm

Same principle here:
Muting a channel sends the signal to the Alt-3-4 and you can choose Alt 3-4 as the monitor source.

https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_xenyx_1204_usb.htm

I hope this helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search