The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small mixer with monitoring (cue)
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Nut

Small mixer with monitoring (cue)

I need a small mixer for a set up that includes digitakt, digitone, microfreak, mic, guitar.
I’ve been looking at the Mackie mix12fx, Allen n Heath zedfx. Stuff like that.

I was wondering if there are any small format mixers out there that allow for monitoring channels while performing live. Basically like a DJ would cue a channel in the headphones before bringing it into the main mix.

Thanks for any info. ?
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

If I'm correct and at first glance the Mackie can't do that. It doesn't have a monitor section. The channels have FX send but it is not possible to switch the headphone out to this source.
The Pro FX8 from Mackie would allow this. It has a monitor section and you can mute channels, so they don't go to the main out.

Most mixers with a monitor section have an aux or fx send poti in every channel. And in the monitor section you can choose if you want to listen to the main mix or the aux-mix. Terminology can vary between different manufacturers.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
If I'm correct and at first glance the Mackie can't do that. It doesn't have a monitor section. The channels have FX send but it is not possible to switch the headphone out to this source.
The Pro FX8 from Mackie would allow this. It has a monitor section and you can mute channels, so they don't go to the main out.

Most mixers with a monitor section have an aux or fx send poti in every channel. And in the monitor section you can choose if you want to listen to the main mix or the aux-mix. Terminology can vary between different manufacturers.
So mixers that have aux or fx sends are able to do this ?
Cool. Idk why I have issues understanding routing sometimes.
But yeah that pro fx looks great.
Thanks.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Nut

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-channel-mixer

Is this one able to do it?

Last edited by uoad; 17th June 2019 at 06:05 PM..
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think so. You don't just need an aux or fx send per channel, you need a monitor section which allows you to choose the aux send as the source or an Alt 3-4. And you need a mute button on each channel, which takes the channel out of the main mix and sends it to Alt 3-4.

These are two different concepts. I hope it isn't too confusing.
Aux sends are there to send a part of the signal to for example an effect-unit. But you can use it as well for a monitor mix if the monitor section allows you to choose it as a monitor source.
This allows you to have an independant monitor mix independant from the volume of the channel. Aux sends always have related outputs on the mixer.

Alt 3-4 is just an internal signal flow. Instead of going to the main bus, the signal goes to the monitor. But the volume remains dependant from the channel setting and you can't send the same signal to the main-out. It is whether main OR Alt 3-4. The Aux-solution allows both. For example a bass player wants to hear himself louder than the other musicians, but he still wants to have all the other instruments in his monitor mix and you can set the volume for every individual instrument to his liking and send the same instruments to the main out, but at a different volume level, for example to the PA.

These are two examples:

You press mute/Alt3-4 in the channel and choose Alt-3-4 as the source in the monitor sextion (here called CR for control room)

https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_1402_vlz4.htm

Same principle here:
Muting a channel sends the signal to the Alt-3-4 and you can choose Alt 3-4 as the monitor source.

https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_xenyx_1204_usb.htm

I hope this helps.
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Tascam Model 16

If you are ever going to buy more gear, I'd recommend the Tascam Model 16. Otherwise you should go for a DJ mixer (A&H DB4 or cheaper Behringer DDM400?).

When comparing mixers look for "PFL" (pre-fade listen), which is the same as "cue" on DJ mixers.

I've got the Model 24 and it's a versatile and great sounding mixer. It also allows you to multitrack record to an SD card or stream into your daw. There's also the smaller Model 12 but it only has 2 stereo inputs.

When looking for mixers, do also check whether the aux sends are POST fader if you plan on using those for effects. Otherwise you think you're monitoring your Digitakt in headphones with the fader down, but the audience can hear the returned effects signal because the aux send is turned up. On the Model 12 and Model 16 the AUX 2 send can be set to post fader. On the Model 24 only the FX send is post fader.

For the return of those FX, you do need to sacrifice a (probably stereo) input channel by the way...

I've bought and sold 6 mixers in the past two years, but for synthesizer players like us it is very hard to find a useful one. Considering your Digitakt and Digitone: all mixers seem to lack stereo inputs and they are not designed with performance in mind.

The Roland MX-1 was a very nice attempt as a performance mixer. It has actually become very popular, considering it's only useful when you have AIRA gear. I hope Roland releases an improved MX-1 someday to open it up for non AIRA gear and to address its noisy output. It will be a guaranteed hit.

Oh and if you're into eurorack modular, there is the WMD Performance Mixer (LE) that probably offers all the functionality you need.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd love to learn about those. The struggle is real
Old 7th July 2020
The SSL SiX might meet all of your needs, and it sounds pretty good too, lots of headroom.
I'm not too keen on the onboard eq or comps, but the routing options and general sq make it unique in the field afaik. It's $1500us when it's not on sale though.
Old 6th August 2020
Ojd
Gear Head
Grab old soundcraft spirit . Nice crunch when overdriven and has enough monitoring
📝 Reply