The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone had any success with Zoom H4N input Jack?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone had any success with Zoom H4N input Jack?

Hello,

I've just grabbed a little lock-up for my drum kit.

I'm thinking I'm going to rig my H4N up in there permanently for grabbing ideas on the fly, running it in 4ch mode so that I can record onto all 4 tracks simultaneously.

Immediate thoughts are that I'll use the 2 xlr inputs for kick and snare 57 on the snare and e902 or re20 on the kick). These will record as stereo and I'll split them to mono on the PC later.

The room I've got is small. I'm going to give the the on-board mics a go, but I also wanna know what my other options are.

On the back of the H4N is a input jack for "external stereo mic". Spec at the end of the manual are
  • Input Gain −16 dB – +51 dB
  • Input Impedance 2 kΩ or more
  • Supports Plug In Power

What I'm asking before I spend some time experimenting is
  1. Has anyone got any experience using the input jack and if so to what success?
  2. What are my options connecting other mics?

I'm assuming that "plug in power" means that the H4n sends some power out of this connection somehow, but I don't really have a way to know this for sure as unless I've missed something, it doesn't state anything in the manual. Looking at the options I think the "plug-in power" can be disabled from the menu.

Cheers

Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search