The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Line in/out adat expansion options?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Line in/out adat expansion options?

Hey Slutz,

First time posting here,
The long and the short is i have Scarlett 18i20(with 4 line outs not working) and just got a lindell 500 series rack that i will be using mainly for pres. I need 6 line i/o for it, so i'm looking to get something second hand that i can send to the 18i20 via ADAT and there doesn't seem to be many options on the cheaper side of things.

Should i just upgrade my whole interface and use the 18i20 for the pres or is there some option that gives you 6 line in and out without running through on board pres?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Believe it or not, the Berringer ones are eminently usable.

The what-ever-ya-call-it 8000......and then there's the what? 8800?

Either one.
Old 4 weeks ago
ADA8200 $200 MSRP
8 Midas preamps, 8 /D/A outputs
I love mine.

They're not amazingly flat, they drop by 0.5 dB at 20Hz and 20K on a roundtrip measurement (out cabled back to in), but it's very usable. It won't do SMUX though, so run it at 44.1k or 48k.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Comparing the pres on the Behringer ADA8200 to the pres on my Apollo 8p shows very little difference when recorded clean - perhaps the Apollos are a tiny bit quieter - but the ADA8200 is by no means noisy, obviously I generally track with unison plugin on my Apollo - but the ADA8200 sounds fine - top end? Nope - good enough, yes. Could a decent engineer/producer make a hit record with ADA8200s? - you bet. Modern budget hardware is so good it's not what's holding any of us back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Another vote for the ada8200.

I have 3 of them, an 18i20, and an octopre, and I don't have any problem using the 8200s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You might look for a used Lucid 88192.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've got an old M-Audio Profire 2626 slaved to my BLA signature 002 and it sounds pretty good. One of the nice things about it is that it completely bypasses the preamps when you patch in a 1/4" line level signal, so the quality of the analog section is more or less irrelevant. I've heard the prices are a lot higher in the EU but in the USA you can find these for under $200 easily and at that price they're definitely a solid deal.

Can't speak for the internal clock or preamps, but as an affordable ADAT expander it still works great, plus it does SMUX and if you still have Firewire 400 it's a solid 24/192 interface, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
If you do end up with an ADA8200 - I'd recommend you get a BNC cable for the clocking, this way the 18:20 can be the master and flipping between 44.1 and 48K will be automatic on the ADA8200, if you use the ADAT for syncing then you will probably have to manually switch the sample rate if you have projects in 44.1K and 48K. Obviously if all your projects are only ever one sample rate this doesn't matter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
If you do end up with an ADA8200 - I'd recommend you get a BNC cable for the clocking, this way the 18:20 can be the master and flipping between 44.1 and 48K will be automatic on the ADA8200, if you use the ADAT for syncing then you will probably have to manually switch the sample rate if you have projects in 44.1K and 48K. Obviously if all your projects are only ever one sample rate this doesn't matter.
I use ADAT clocking on my 8200 and have no problems like this. But it is necessary to have BOTH ADAT fiberoptic cables installed.
Interface->8200: clock + output audio
8200->interface: input audio from 8200
Old 4 weeks ago

I don't know what you'll find down under. But, I have an Aphex 142 that fits your bill. They weren't that spendy when new, but worked well if you can live with 16/48 conversion...

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I use ADAT clocking on my 8200 and have no problems like this. But it is necessary to have BOTH ADAT fiberoptic cables installed.
Interface->8200: clock + output audio
8200->interface: input audio from 8200
I tried that setup with my Apolo 8P and it didn't work - hence the move to the BNC cable. Good to hear it works on some configs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Try to track down an Audient ASP800. Those character pres are fun to mix through too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I tried that setup with my Apolo 8P and it didn't work - hence the move to the BNC cable. Good to hear it works on some configs.
Weird. Glad to hear you got it sorted with BNCs anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search