The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Quick Q for Yamaha HS7 / HS8 owners
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quick Q for Yamaha HS7 / HS8 owners

Hi guys, I'm new here and I'll start it off with a stupid question. I just got a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors and there is some semi-loose wire visible from the bass port of one of the speakers. I don't know why but it irks me and I just wanted to ask whether it's normal or maybe an indication of rough transport or even someone having opened the speaker for unprofessional repairs. Here are photos of the one with visible wires and the other speaker for reference: https://imgur.com/a/RVDeY8a. I'd be grateful if any of you who have HS-series speakers tell me how yours look!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Those wires are the connections to the high frequency driver. There is some loose on the wire to allow for the tweeter's removal. It is possible that the driver was serviced/replaced and the wires were haphazardly re-placed/positioned. If the speaker is working fine, consider removing the driver and repositioning the wires more nicely. There are often tie-wraps in place to secure the wiring while also allowing for driver removal. If your speaker was serviced, one may have been removed and not replaced.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I wouldn't worry about it.

But I would modify them to disable the limiter in them so I can eq the mids better, but that's a different subject.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I think it is normal, mine are showing those wires as well, not quite like yours but i can see the wires. If the speakers sounds alright to you then nevermind.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.

But I would modify them to disable the limiter in them so I can eq the mids better, but that's a different subject.
Huh? A limiter in HS7? When does it kick in and how to know when it is doing it's thing? Feel stupid for having missed this piece of information so far. Perhaps I should bypass it. You found any significant improvement in doing so?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Here's a link to the limiter mod mentioned by audiospecific (if I understood correctly): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jFU7pYXIE . Thanks all for the replies, I feel more at ease now! Speakers sound fine, except really lacking in the low end. They need a sub more badly than I thought, at least in a mid-large room, away from walls.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The way I would do the mod is to remove or switch them in/out R417, and the diodes D406 and D407.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf yamaha_hs8_hs7_hs5.pdf (5.01 MB, 6 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpz View Post
Here's a link to the limiter mod mentioned by audiospecific (if I understood correctly): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jFU7pYXIE . Thanks all for the replies, I feel more at ease now! Speakers sound fine, except really lacking in the low end. They need a sub more badly than I thought, at least in a mid-large room, away from walls.
I imagine someone would stumbled upon that too.

Sometimes, the mids sometimes mess up the lows, harmonically..

these things, I like them to be above my head a foot and about 8 ft. apart. too beam-like I think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search