The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
All-purpose closed back headphones search (ATH-M30X upgrade)
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

All-purpose closed back headphones search (ATH-M30X upgrade)

Hey All,
I'm want to upgrade to my old ATH-M30X and was hoping to get some recommendations. I'm looking for something predominantly for personal listening and tracking, but I'll also use them to check mixes (I already have a pair of hd600's that I use for critical mixing). My main gripe with the M30's is that they feel congested in the low mids and lack clarity/detail in the high end.
I'm in the market for a utilitarian set of closed-back headphones that are comfortable over long periods of time, have good isolation, and a flat frequency response for under $150 - anyone got any good suggestions?
Old 7th June 2019
Deleted e999d8e
So you have an idea of your options:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Closed-back_Headphones
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
Thanks, but every manufacturer claims that their headphones have "amazing clarity and detail." I posted on a here because I'm trying to address a specific problem I have with a specific set of headphones
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear
Notice that there are 102 choices of closed back headphones if you click on Poinzy’s Sweetwater link. 51 of them are in your price range. I’d guess at least 20 of them sound good in a general sense.
The shape of your head and ears are unknown, so comfort is hard to predict. The AT phones have a generally similar sound, so I think you should eliminate that brand if you don’t want a slightly different version of the same signature.
Among what’s left, I can’t guess what you might like. The Sony 7506 is a classic which seems to fit the sound profile you are looking for. My experience is that they don’t stand up to cord pulling or getting stepped on very well. Otherwise you can get five good years from them before the pads flatten out or deteriorate.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru
You like AT's get the 50's love mine......
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Dt770 Pro.
So underrated! And pretty cheep now a days.
The 250 ohm, need a good headphone amp, but pretty flat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
... The Sony 7506 is a classic which seems to fit the sound profile you are looking for. My experience is that they don’t stand up to cord pulling or getting stepped on very well. Otherwise you can get five good years from them before the pads flatten out or deteriorate.
Genuine replacement pads are freely available for under US$30 a pair.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
You like AT's get the 50's love mine......
I ended up going with the at50's in the end and I like them a lot. I tracked down that the the m30s had a crazy 20+ DB notch between 4.5k and 6.5k which made it impossible to detect any sibilance or cymbal harshness.
Attached Thumbnails
All-purpose closed back headphones search (ATH-M30X upgrade)-m30-vs-m50.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjg View Post
I ended up going with the at50's in the end and I like them a lot. I tracked down that the the m30s had a crazy 20+ DB notch between 4.5k and 6.5k which made it impossible to detect any sibilance or cymbal harshness.
Good call!
Looking at that graph, I see why the 30s seem pleasant to me, if a little soft on absolute detail. It’s like a de-esser is stuck in reduction.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I like 50's because they sound similar to speakers. Not a huge difference except with reverb etc and spacial stuff common to all phones.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search