The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Streaming PreAmp- Dbx 286s, 376, or Other
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Streaming PreAmp- Dbx 286s, 376, or Other

I am an aspiring streamer and am trying to change how my soy filled voice sounds.

The DBX 286s has a low frequency enchancer that I think it will compliment my voice well, it also has a few other effects that I want- e.g. noise gate.

Then I found the 376, and while searching for an answer I saw a post on this forum and some one said you guys criticize it.

I'm new to the audio scene, but I understand the bare fundamentals.

Should I get the 376 or the 286? Are there any problems with the 286 or 376? Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
A “soy filled voice” might turn into a popular trend. I have to say, in decades of audio I’ve never heard anyone complain about a voice having too much soy. “More soy!” might become the “More cowbell!” of the 2020s. Or not...
As to channel strips, DBX knows something about compression, so that is likely to be the best feature of both of those strips. I’ve used the 286 and find it to be an unremarkable pre apart from the compressor, which is OK at least. The low and high enhancement sections didn’t do anything I like. They do some cartoonish things that don’t sound like really good audio to me, but you may hear them differently.
I haven’t heard the DBX tube pre, and I haven’t heard anything good or bad about it, which is a little unusual.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
As to channel strips, DBX knows something about compression, so that is likely to be the best feature of both of those strips. The low and high enhancement sections didn’t do anything I like. They do some cartoonish things that don’t sound like really good audio to me, but you may hear them differently.
I haven’t heard the DBX tube pre, and I haven’t heard anything good or bad about it, which is a little unusual.
Is the compression you are referring to mean the raising of the lows and lowering of the highs?
Do you think reducing the amount of enhancement would have alleviated that cartoonist effect?
How do tube pre amps differ from "normal?" pre amps?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestyLarou View Post
I am an aspiring streamer and am trying to change how my soy filled voice sounds.
Yeah... I can't concentrate on anything other than this description... I've gone over it in my head quite a bit. I'm going to have to ask: what do you mean by 'soy filled'?

Ok, so, onto other, less important questions: What microphone are you using? That will likely make a much bigger difference than what pre-amp / channel strip you choose, and what the mic is could inform what preamp you need. Also, when you say 'streaming' you're saying a podcast, or spoken word, correct?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would go with above and say what mic are you using?

I don’t know what soy filled voice means either.

If all else fails get a pitch shifted/voice transformer/Harmonizer
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Is the compression you are referring to mean the raising of the lows and lowering of the highs?

Do you think reducing the amount of enhancement would have alleviated that cartoonist effect?

How do tube pre amps differ from "normal?" pre amps?

Thanks!
1. Yes, in general that’s what compressors are used for. To be technically correct, the compressor, if set correctly, lowers the level of the loud parts and has a gain control to raise the overall level. It also can change the sound, depending on attack and release times.

2. I played with the enhancement features a lot. If I could hear them doing anything, I didn’t like what they were doing. At that point there was no point in me having those features in the chain. As I said, you may like what they do. DBX apparently thought some people would like those features.

3. They differ in that they have a tube. There are so many ways to use a tube in a preamp, and some crucial differences in powering the tube and in buffering the tube with a transformer (or not) that there is no “correct” answer to your question. In expensive preamps, tubes and their associated transformers and circuitry can add some sweetness and dimension to a signal. Or they can be overdriven to add some saturation. In cheaper preamps, a tube is very often a marketing feature and is not part of the basic preamp. It is often an underpowered “starved tube” that distorts and goes into hard signal limiting in a way that fully powered and buffered tubes do not. At one time I liked this odd effect on certain things, but I’ve fallen out of that habit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
Yeah... I can't concentrate on anything other than this description... I've gone over it in my head quite a bit. I'm going to have to ask: what do you mean by 'soy filled'?

Ok, so, onto other, less important questions: What microphone are you using? That will likely make a much bigger difference than what pre-amp / channel strip you choose, and what the mic is could inform what preamp you need. Also, when you say 'streaming' you're saying a podcast, or spoken word, correct?
I would classify it as a lack of bass.
Rode NT-1- How would the mic inform what preamp I should need?
Yes, podcast and spoken word.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post

If all else fails get a pitch shifted/voice transformer/Harmonizer
I've never heard of one of those. What does it do? How does it work? Any suggestion on models?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I would classify it as a lack of bass.
Rode NT-1- How would the mic inform what preamp I should need?
Yes, podcast and spoken word.

Thanks
If you're looking for more bass in your voice, you should experiment with the proximity effect of your mic. I've never had an NT-1, so I can't help much there. I'm not sure that'd be an ideal choice for podcast and spoken word but I'm sure you can make it work. I know dynamics like the sm7 and re20 are standards for this sort of thing and they have a great proximity effect for that deep, bassy dj voice sound, if that's what you're looking for. As to how the mic can help dictate the preamp - a low output dynamic like the sm7 would require a lot more clean gain so you'd need a preamp and an additional cloudlifter, more than likely.

I'm sure others can chime in with more hands on experience with the NT-1, hopefully others are using it for spoken word and can provide some tips for you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
As others have suggested, the NT-1 may be an excellent cardioid LDC mic for many recording studio uses, but it is not a standard mic (or type of mic) for spoken word use.
I’m going to assume from your posts that you are in a standard boxy bedroom in a house or apartment without serious acoustic treatment. Your NT-1 will pick up a lot of room sound and acoustic reflections of your voice in the room that will leave your voice sounding “not right” in a hard to define way.
Standard dynamic mics commonly used for voiceover in poor rooms “fatten up” as you get close to them and do not pick up a lot of room, so it matters less how the room sounds. The two most used dynamics for this purpose are probably the SM7b and the RE20.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I have and use a DBX 286a. for such a cheap device it does a pretty good job.
There are plenty of videos on YT which give a clear indication of what it can and can't do.
As long as you don't overuse the effects that it has, you can get very reasonable results from it, or it's replacement, the 286S.
There seems to be a lot of hate on GS for anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall View Post
There seems to be a lot of hate on GS for anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
That’s a gratuitous and generally untrue statement. I haven’t seen any hate in this thread. Advice and opinions can be negative without any hate being involved.
Check that... I do hate to see people waste money on boxes that don’t seem likely to improve their results. And I hate to see people recommending foolish spending to newbies. You know, like the $200 mic cable that will make you sound like a pro.
Interface pres, even in some moderately priced interfaces, have gradually gotten so good that I don’t think the preamp part of these DBX boxes (and a lot of other outboard pres) give you anything more than extra cables to plug in. DBX didn’t build their reputation on pres, even back in the last century when these channel strips were designed. I do think the compression is OK.
Where’s the hate in that?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I was simply using the word "hate" in the way that it has frequently been used before here on Gearslutz, to denote a negative attitude of a piece of equipment, usually at the budget end of the spectrum, because it does not perform as well as something costing a lot more. I wasn't accusing you of hatred in the literal sense, Bushman - and I apologise if that's how I came across.
I don't record onto a computer, I go direct to tape - and, used with care, I've found the DBX 286a to be perfectly OK for getting a good recording.
Two more examples of gear which gets a bad press here on GS, and which I've got good results from in the past are the ART Tube MP preamp, and the original Mk1 version of the AKG C3000. neither is perfect, but they do have their uses.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I’ve owned two Tube MPs and used the 286 on a couple of albums 20 years ago.. I can’t disagree with your view that they are “perfectly OK” in the sense that you can get acceptable recordings with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search