The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WA47 > WA73 vocal clarity help
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

WA47 > WA73 vocal clarity help

Hello everyone... First post here. I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on using the WA47 mic and WA73 pre in tandem. There are all kinds of reviews of each separately, but I would love to hear from someone who uses them both together.

I can't seem to get any clarity whatsoever. It all sounds way too dark and has no shine at all. I have used every possible combination of patterns on the 47 and I have the gain and outputs dialed in as closely as I can on the 73 without overloading it.

I send the signal into a Presonus interface and then into Cubase. If I add a ton of compression and eq, I can get it close... but I feel like my dry signal should be much clearer than it is. I'm a classically trained tenor with a bright voice, so I think the source is (good enough)

Any suggestions aside from the typical, "buy some better gear" would be really appreciated. I was honestly getting better sounds from my little AT4040, and I just don't think that should be the case.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Coulored mic + coulored preamp..........it might be that you’ve just discovered it doesn’t suit your taste.

Time to experiment:

Wa47 + Presonus
At4040 + Wa73 + Presonus
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Did you try bringing the output control of the 73 to “O” and then only turning up as much gain as you need?

Singing into the right side of the mic?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I don't know much about the WA47.

If it's a colored mic, you may be running into the similar item I've seen in my studio. I have a Telefunken CU-29. When I paired it with the WA73 is just felt way too dark & colored, similar to your findings. I now pair it with my Tonebeast on clean settings and get a much much better signal to my ears.

I think you may be experiencing color overloud.. on top of the fact that you're a tenor. Try using as much clean gain as you can dial in on the WA73. If not... record with your interface... or, return one of the two for a clean option. If you like the mic in your Presonus, keep the mic but upgrade w/ a clean preamp. If you don't... maybe swap the mic for a cleaner one and keep the WA73. Or... try your AT4040 into WA73.

I agree with the above, it's just time to test things out. Don't let the reviews (or us) tell you what your sound should be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Did you try bringing the output control of the 73 to “O” and then only turning up as much gain as you need?

Singing into the right side of the mic?
Honesty, I’ve never owned a preamp like that before. I did a bunch of reading on finding the sweet spot and blah blah blah... I just can’t find an area where I feel like I’m maximizing it. It is either too quiet or just seems to blaze with distortion. I am pretty good at working the mic for each phrase. I don’t know man? I guess I just expected a bunch more presence than I’m getting currently.

And yeah, I’m singing into the correct side. At least I’ve got that going for me
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So I tried using a lower input gain on the 73, then turned up the preamp gain on the presonus a bit (it was zeroed so as to bypass it) and it seemed to add a lot of clarity, but maybe a bit too much presence.

Is using two preamps together a thing? Sub question - does it matter?

Just trying to maximize my stuff. Thanks again for all the replies. I appreciate it y’all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbag View Post
Hello everyone... First post here. I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on using the WA47 mic and WA73 pre in tandem. There are all kinds of reviews of each separately, but I would love to hear from someone who uses them both together.

I can't seem to get any clarity whatsoever. It all sounds way too dark and has no shine at all. I have used every possible combination of patterns on the 47 and I have the gain and outputs dialed in as closely as I can on the 73 without overloading it.

I send the signal into a Presonus interface and then into Cubase. If I add a ton of compression and eq, I can get it close... but I feel like my dry signal should be much clearer than it is. I'm a classically trained tenor with a bright voice, so I think the source is (good enough)

Any suggestions aside from the typical, "buy some better gear" would be really appreciated. I was honestly getting better sounds from my little AT4040, and I just don't think that should be the case.

Thanks!
.....Yeah.......a company that calls it's self "Warm" is being a little overly solicitous in my books,

I remember when they released those tube EQ's the Fairchild knock-offs? (I think that's what they were supposed to be)

You can see the thread on here, it starts with "OMG take my MonEyZ!!!"

Then moves into: "Is anyone else experiencing?...."

Then it was the revenge of the Astroturfers: "This is the single greatest audio product ever released and if you don't agree you should seriously commit suicide right now....like seriously do it...no, seriously if you don't think this is the best ever you should already be dead..."

Then sometime after that, they appeared en masse on craigslist (Where most sit to this very day)

My point is: Think twice about companies who seem to be trying to influence you in ways other than the quality of their products.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post

My point is: Think twice about companies who seem to be trying to influence you in ways other than the quality of their products.
I totally get that, and I wasn’t expecting miracles. I was really hoping for a clear upgrade from my 4040, though. The vocals in the videos are crystal clear and pristine. I’m just trying to figure out what happens AFTER the 47 goes into the 73. Clearly, there is something that takes it from not very present or crisp to EXtReMELY present and crisp, you know?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honesty, I’ve never owned a preamp like that before. I did a bunch of reading on finding the sweet spot and blah blah blah... I just can’t find an area where I feel like I’m maximizing it. It is either too quiet or just seems to blaze with distortion. I am pretty good at working the mic for each phrase. I don’t know man? I guess I just expected a bunch more presence than I’m getting currently.

And yeah, I’m singing into the correct side. At least I’ve got that going for me
I don’t have a wa73, but on this topology of preamp, the input gain is going to do a lot to color the sound, why I suggest “maximizing” (really bringing it to unity gain, probably) the output gain before setting the preamp gain if you want to minimize the color. On vocals, most people would be following this chain with a compressor or two (or a channel fader...) and that would set the level.

So you’ll want to play with how you’re gain staging to get the sound you’re after.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm not familiar with either of these devices, but agree with several others above. In order to understand why you're not hearing what you want, you need to do two things:
1) Test the mic and the preamp separately (meaning color mic with clean preamp, and color preamp with clean mic.) This will help you determine what each piece of the signal chain is doing.
2) Try the pre at a variety of gain settings to see how that reduces the extreme effect.
If your old, clean system worked ok, then you changed every variable and it got muddy, it's hard to say what went wrong. You need to go back and isolate variables, testing each change individually to learn their sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!

Could you upload some files so we can hear ?
Old 3 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
The warm stuff all has plenty of bottom (except the tone beast set to clean which is how I mostly use it.). Their 47 even into a clean pre has plenty of bottom and is too “cloudy” for vo work. It is all knowing and choosing the right tool. Try your 47 into the 73 on amped guitar to see how well the combo sounds. For your voice, the combo doesn’t work. For more than one female voice the combo is great for me even if it sux for male vo

The 73 is one of the “loudest” pres I’ve used so turn it down. And tho it ain’t proper, you can raise the gain on your interface pre if the tone is right but the gain is low.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The WA73 is one of the least clear preamps I’ve used. If clarity is what you want you will be fighting it forever. If you are determined to use a 1073 type pre the Heritage Elite has more clarity and presence and is in a similar price range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search