The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 1202-VLZ Monitor/Headphone Question Headphone Amps
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Mackie 1202-VLZ Monitor/Headphone Question

This may be a dumb question, but...

on the 1202VLZ, how does one turn down the main mix without turning down the controlroom/headphones?

What I'd like to be able to do is simply use headphones without anything going to my monitors. Seems whether I go out the control room outs or the main outs, either way I can't turn down the monitors without turning down the headphones.

This must be possible.

Thanks for any help.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

It's not possible within the 1202VLZ. Main mix feeds the control room/headphones. If you turn down the main mix, control room/headphones will be turned down.

Best way to do it is to add a monitor controller. With a monitor controller you can mute your monitors separately.
Old 1 week ago
Your only solution is to get a headphone amp. I use the 4 channel S-phone headphone amp/mixer. I can route effect to it without them getting printed into the DAW also, so its great for recording.

Its under $200 and I've had mine for about 9 years now and its still working like the first day i bought it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Okay, thanks guys. Good to finally have some confirmation on that after driving myself crazy trying to figure it out and looking through the manual and online.

That seems nuts, especially considering all the little options this little mixer has.........but it is what it is!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hello @ JL1000 !

Depending on how you work and what your goal is, you could mute the active channels and push the ALT 3-4 button in CONTROL ROOM SOURCE. That way you’ll hear those channels (the muted ones) through your headphones, but not through the speakers (Main Outs). I don’t know if this is an option for you.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Sky View Post
Hello @ JL1000 !

Depending on how you work and what your goal is, you could mute the active channels and push the ALT 3-4 button in CONTROL ROOM SOURCE. That way you’ll hear those channels (the muted ones) through your headphones, but not through the speakers (Main Outs). I don’t know if this is an option for you.
I had tried that before, but it seems that the auxes don't work to hear effects. True?

I have a monitor controller, so I set that up, and that seems to work well enough, but if the alt 3-4 can access the auxes to hear FX, that might be better.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I don’t know. sorry. My experience with mixers in the past has been rudimentary, and I haven’t yet bought the 1202 - otherwise I would check it out.

Can someone else answer this, please?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 View Post
I had tried that before, but it seems that the auxes don't work to hear effects. True?

I have a monitor controller, so I set that up, and that seems to work well enough, but if the alt 3-4 can access the auxes to hear FX, that might be better.

Thanks!
Both FX returns only return to Main mix (not ALT 3-4) if you mean that by accessing the auxes.

FX sends don't care whatever buss you assign the track to. FX sends are before busses.

You can find all this in the routing diagram in the 1202VLZ's manual.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

A possible workaround would be to route the effect outputs to a regular channel (it would act as a return bus) to accomplish what you ask. Otherwise your monitor controller is indispensable.

I recently created a thread where I asked why the 1202/1402 mixers don’t feature a dedicated headphones knob like on the smaller 802. The consensus was that you wouldn’t need it. My hypothesis that Mackie might not include a headphones knob to sell more monitor controllers was also met with opposition.

If one used the CP Outs for the speakers on the 802, one could actually control speakers and headphones independently, so you could lower your speakers’ volume without affecting the headphones' volume. Seems nuts indeed that the 1202 cannot do this.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I meant to write CR Outs in my last paragraph - not CP Outs.

I also have a question, since I’m interested in the same topic: @ CJ Mastering mentioned that a headphones amp is the only solution. How would a headphones amp help in doing what OP asked? How would you connect it?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search