The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec cs Kali Audio
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Genelec cs Kali Audio

Hi guys,

I want to buy my first pair of monitors. I compose and mix mainly experimental music, techno, soundscape compositions, sometimes beats. I need really clear and flat sound.

Which of these would you recommend for me?

Used Genelec 8010/8020B or C vs Kali Audio LP-6?

I have a small room with quite good acoustics, but it is not professionaly prepared studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The two Genelec you mention have 3” and 4” woofers. The Kali has a 6.5” woofer. As much as I respect the Genelec name, I would never recommend 3” or 4” speakers as monitors for any serious purpose.
The Kali has a woofer that can reach into bass frequencies, and the published specs seem believable for the price. It doesn’t seem that they will play very loudly, if that is important to you. BUT... I’ve never heard of Kali before today, so I can’t recommend them with honesty or enthusiasm.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The two Genelec you mention have 3” and 4” woofers. The Kali has a 6.5” woofer. As much as I respect the Genelec name, I would never recommend 3” or 4” speakers as monitors for any serious purpose.
The Kali has a woofer that can reach into bass frequencies, and the published specs seem believable for the price. It doesn’t seem that they will play very loudly, if that is important to you. BUT... I’ve never heard of Kali before today, so I can’t recommend them with honesty or enthusiasm.
The Kali are fairly new. They are made by people who once worked on speakers for Harman. When Samsung acquired Harman they left to start their own speaker company. Now having said that, I've not heard any of the speakers. Though they are getting a bit of a buzz for being rather good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There are some pros and cons in buying monitors from a new company. The introductory price is usually lower than comparable speakers from established brands to generate sales and create some buzz. So you might be getting a very good price on good speakers that lack only a reputation. But there is also a possibility that the startup company will go out of business in a couple of years, leaving you without factory service. For speakers at this price point, that isn’t a huge risk in terms of money, so that isn’t the potential problem it would be if the speakers cost thousands of dollars.
If this was my choice, and I had to choose between the choices the OP outlines, I’d buy the Kali. I don’t believe there is any magic that can make 3” speakers acceptable for mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Welcome to Gearslutz jacej
Not tried Genelecs personally but the Kali are solid monitors for the money: I reviewed the LP-6 here and currently testing the LP-8.

Kali produced the Lone Pine (LP) range as an intro of the company's sound and tech; future plans include more expensive studio monitors. Kali are a great company to deal with and have professional standards; I expect them to last given the quality of their monitors.

Genelec's have a great reputation too and I can't recommend one over the other but as noted, the size of the Kali's woofer is favourable in terms of bass energy for a wider frequency range.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! I used to work on Genelecs 8020A at my Uni studio and I love them! They are very flat, detailed and transparent. However, they are all connected to Genelec subwoofer and as I checked, it is impossible to work on some low frequencies without this subwoofer. Would Kalis be better? Do they have a good, clean (and true) bass even without additional woofer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Welcome to Gearslutz jacej
Not tried Genelecs personally but the Kali are solid monitors for the money: I reviewed the LP-6 here and currently testing the LP-8.

Kali produced the Lone Pine (LP) range as an intro of the company's sound and tech; future plans include more expensive studio monitors. Kali are a great company to deal with and have professional standards; I expect them to last given the quality of their monitors.

Genelec's have a great reputation too and I can't recommend one over the other but as noted, the size of the Kali's woofer is favourable in terms of bass energy for a wider frequency range.
What is your initial rough thoughts on the LP8 vs the LP6 you reviewed? I am very interested in upgrading and the prices with Kali seem like a steal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambavan View Post
What is your initial rough thoughts on the LP8 vs the LP6 you reviewed? I am very interested in upgrading and the prices with Kali seem like a steal.
One is not necessarily better than the other; more a case of what best suits your room/needs.
The LP-8 is better-suited to more than one listener (wider sweet-spot) and has more bass energy; better for tracking with. The LP-6 is better for close nearfield position. The review will be published soon; can't say more than that now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You might get better mixes on the Genny's with a bass check on some headphones.. for "desktop mixing" the Kali's are serious overkill
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ryan View Post
You might get better mixes on the Genny's with a bass check on some headphones.. for "desktop mixing" the Kali's are serious overkill
By “overkill” do you mean that the listener might actually hear some of the bottom two octaves? And that’s a bad thing?

Mini woofers are underkill, and often recommended in relation to room size and distance, which is a very persistent non-scientific myth.
“I pity the fool” who buys tiny speakers because of this myth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacej View Post
I used to work on Genelecs 8020A at my Uni studio and I love them!
However, they are all connected to Genelec subwoofer and it is impossible to work on some low frequencies without this subwoofer.
Listen to yourself.
Loving quality tiny speakers under a subwoofer is understandable. Hoping you will feel the same love WITHOUT a subwoofer is a leap into space with no landing in sight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Being able to hear the low to octaves is one thing, your room is another... hence the headphone check. Read of a Euro producer who ended up going through every mid field hi to low$ and ended up doing most of his mixing on ls305's and checking the bass on some Sony xb extra bass headphones (of all things). His mastering engineer said it was the first time in years he didn't really have to eq the low end..

So for "desktop mixing" - ie: small room, minimal treatment, domestic environment - I can definitely hear the results of this sort of setup. I also use headphone sims alot (Sonarworks, TB Isone) which I find amazing for tracking and mix checking. With this and a set of auraclones I get mixes I like.. YMMV

There is a reason monitors like the awesome but pricey tiny Genelec's exist my friend, and this is it
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ryan View Post
Have you used the Kali's?

Edit: I guess there are situations where the Genelecs will be a better choice but comparing the LP-6 to Focal CMS40's (4" woofer) it's obvious that the Kali has the better bass extension. The LP-6 are large in size in comparison to the Focals and aesthetically one could prefer a smaller monitor for close desktop but sonically I could use the Kali's close up too although the 40's are less-fatiguing (which is their forte).

Last edited by Arthur Stone; 3 weeks ago at 05:55 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
I'd look at the Kali Audio due to the bass extension. Eventually you are going to crave for the 'thump'. I bet the Genelecs have a more detailed sound but small sized speakers usually come with limitations such as slight boxiness and lack of that thump.
Plus, hearing great things about the Kali, Im going to look into one as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I never heard the Kali Audio LP6, but around 10 years ago I mixed a all my personal stuff with a set of Genelec 8020B and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Cans in a small room. I got more than usable results. If space is an issue and you sit in a very small nearfield the small Genelecs are perfect. IMHO of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search