The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Multiface II vs. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

RME Multiface II vs. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

I was given an RME Multiface II the other day in exchange for mastering an album. It came with the PCIe card. Installed it today and I am now listening to some reference tracks.

I've used a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for the last 4 years. This is a popular choice in the prosumer market. Before that, I came from a MOTU 828MKII. This RME Multiface is higher end (pro?) equipment, but came out way back in 2005. That's quite a while ago. Youtube just launched and John Paul II was still pope.

Am I imagining things or is this aging RME quite a step from the Focusrite? I am in awe.
I can only find old threads on the Multface II. Who still uses it? Do you also think it sounds better than modern lower end interfaces?

Context: I do mostly ITB mixing and mastering. Little recording. I have a decently treated room. I run everything through Sonarworks. My monitors are Focal Shape 65's. Looking for the honest and pleasant listening
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You're not imagining things.

RME products were about as good as you can get in an interface, outside of literally only a handful of offerings (Metric Halo, Prism Sound, Apogee, maybe UA). To do better than these products, you need standalone units dedicated to just one task for the entire 1u unit.

RME and other companies were ahead of the curve 10 years ago. I have an Apogee Rosetta 800.... and it still sounds better than new budget interfaces, even though the affordable offerings on the market have tremendous quality and bang for the buck nowadays... the older good stuff is still really good.

Last edited by CPhoenix; 3 weeks ago at 09:03 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well, color me surprised!

Here's for future reference: older professional interface may have less features in a single box (less preamps or even none) compared to modern prosumer interfaces. But on the more important facets like sound quality and latency... it's still far superior.

This stuff is available for good prices on the second hand market. It's wise to invest in the digital backbone of your studio!
Old 3 weeks ago
Have you compared the Multiface to the MOTU?

I'm still rocking my Multiface 1 and it serves me well. A similar box from RME is the ADI-8, but that's quite a bit more of an investment.

If I were to upgrade without breaking the bank, MOTU is an option, but I really think a Lucid 88192 is what I'll get. Again, it's older, but is still a higher quality box.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Have you compared the Multiface to the MOTU?
I did not. I sold the MOTU 5 years ago to a friend. I may ask this friend to come over with the box. To do a comparison. Will keep you up to date.

My gut tells me Lucid 88192 is the higher quality option.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Multiface is a very clean interface, and the RME drivers are second to none.

I've still got one in a box here somewhere with a PCI card, PCIe card and a cardbus....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search