The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
One to rule them all - mid range condenser mic help
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
I’ve never been in a room with an Octava. And I’m wondering if Chessparov has heard any Astons. Are we just saying that we like the mic we know better than the mic we don’t know? That is so sensible and parochial. Next we will clutch our pearls and say “My stars and garters!” in a wavering voice.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, absolutely "Manchurian". Just like those "Manch-urians" AKA Oasis guys were vs. Blur! Chris
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

I liked the Aston Origin quite a bit.
Nice complement, to the 219/319's.
The Spirit was too bright, on my (already bright) voice.

I wish I tried the Starlight, but haven't yet.
I trust Bushman and SOS's evaluation of this being an excellent vocal mic.
Chris
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
The Starlight on the vintage setting doesn’t “enhance” a voice or alter it, it just lets a really good voice sound like itself. I’m curious what you would think of it.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks! Eventually, I'm planning to visit Vintage King LA. It's on my "try out" list for sure.
Chris
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
The CAD M179 might be a better budget option for them to get something like a C414 than the C214 would. Or any one of the Lewitt large diaphragm condensers. Or they could probably find a used C414 XLS on eBay as well if it has to be AKG (though they could also get a pair of CADs for the price as well).
It wouldn't surprise me. There's a whole lot of mics out there, each with different flavors. Many with long term reputations for success or failure at specific tasks. Many of which are ripe for further... experimentation.

I often snag sub $100 used mics when I see them available. Occasionally, more expensive ones too.

I'll do a quick online check to make sure it isn't a well known doorstop. Or designed exclusively for single-string Hindustani zither-harp. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Try it, sell it for paid price if I hate it. Pretty sure I haven't sold many. I have a Peavey choir mic hanging from the ceiling of the Live Room right now. Perfect for RTFN vox practice.

In the same lot I snagged a $40-ish dollar (list) Shure, with 58 build but way nicer top end. Plus 30 XLRs, 30 TRS, a Pro 2 DI, an Imp, and a whole bunch of adapters.

$140... well spent.

He who dies with the most mics... wins.

;-)
Old 19th May 2019
Well for vocals and guitar a combo with Shure sm58/57 and Beyer m201 will get you good results in an untreatet room. Get two TritonAudio FetHeads to add a bit of gain, and one of these fetheads will make the m201 a really useful mic even for acoustic guitar. You could add a condenser later, if you really think, something is missing in the high end.

Last edited by Bjoern Bojahr; 19th May 2019 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Added the 57
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

I will go "dynamics first, condenders later" road. It is the change from the first plan, but I think it makes a sense in my conditions, experience and situation. I will see what results I will achieve with that and if it will be neccessary, I can always get some condenser - actually I count with that and thats ok. Triton preamp - the fact these things exist - only assured me in that, it will make the work in home conditions with dynamic mic better. Beyerdynamic m201 seems as a logical choice - I like the sound, guitar cabs sounded good (clean and distorted), same as an acoustic guitar, at least from the samples I have heard. For the price, getting like 80 % of the work done really well, I believe it could be a good starting point :-).
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=Primopollack;13988528]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Aston Starlight... It has a very flat “vintage” setting that is excellent for guitar amps and some vocals. It has two other settings that are brighter and seem to suit acoustic guitars and vocals that need a little sting on the top end. I have two of these mics and they are my smartest purchase ever.

I wanted those mic but my wallet settled on used oktavas. However, the Astons did inspired me to buy a dollar store laser pointer for dialing in my recorder-man. Just hold them along side any mic or electrical tape it right to the mic if you want to get fancy. It amazing how off my buddies and I were when we were just eyeballing it. Instead of dead center, I was lucky to hit the rim of the drum without it.
Great tip. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post

He who dies with the most mics... wins.

;-)
He who inherits said dead person's mics also wins.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

the OP original question asked for just one mic & I'm a Shure microphone fan-boi. Find your comfort-zone of whatever price you can swing and pull the trigger on one - is my recco.

I've gotten such good results with a beta 57a for GTRs and for vocals that, if I had to buy just one; that would be it(in the $120 range). I've been fortunate enough to have gotten several other dynamic and condenser mics of this same brand and they just always work. Always musical.

best of luck !
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Another vote for the CAD M179, a genuine workhorse, and a great, versatile LDC.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru
I got an Oktava 319 and 2500 on GC blowout. Saw them cheap on Thomann. I'm a if I have it use it type of guy, and use them on everything with great results..... I did a couple of mods but they are fine out of the box.....

If I was buying I'd be looking at the Chandler fet mic or Soundelux......
Old 5th June 2019
Pretty sure all the bases have been covered in this thread already, but I just thought I'd mention that it looks like the Austrian Audio mics seem like really excellent contenders for this topic. I'm seriously eyeing the cardioid-only model which looks like it'll be $700 brand new for a mic made entirely in Vienna by former AKG gurus. I was frankly shocked by how low they're pricing these, and the demos and reports seem very promising.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search