The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mid-Range Mic with Good Off-Axis Response Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Mid-Range Mic with Good Off-Axis Response

Hi,

I'm looking to get a mid-range (cost) mic with good off-axis response for recording acoustic instruments.

My list so far is:

Neumann TLM 193
Sennheiser MKH 8040
MiLab DC-96C

Also looking at a Mesanovic Model 2 but unsure of its off-axis response.

Thoughts on these?

Any others in this general price range that I should consider?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by cpsmusic; 1 week ago at 03:24 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sony C55P used about $1300. The battery version is about $800
Sometimes you can find a Sanken for a decent price.

Only condensers?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Sony C55P used about $1300. The battery version is about $800
Sometimes you can find a Sanken for a decent price.

Only condensers?
No, I'll consider anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Moving coils don't have as much throw, decreasing the need for quality in the off axis color. For best off axis in a Moving coil......hmm Here is my best guess from remembering the sound of each: EV38, MD409-U3, MD211, PL-10, Hiel PR-40, PR-35.

The best ribbon I have used is the Coles 4038 is fantastic for a good room sound.

I Don't think the lower end ribbons would be good enough to belong with the rest of the mic's in your list. I have never owned a 44 or RU3/4. I bet they are good, but way over budget.

For live vocal mic's The Neumann 150, 105, 104 series are good for this. Expecially the older 150 that was replaced with the 105.

I have never used, but would expect the Shure KSM9 to be a decent SDC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Should have mentioned that I'd prefer to get something new (not secondhand).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Once you get into the details of mic. New makes specifics like this difficult. Most new stuff has sacraficed the off axis color in exchange for manufacturing costs. You pay a ton of cash to get that extra bit of off axis color. And this is why people go: Bock, Flea, Josophson, etc....

To get good off axis color, cap's have to be rejected frequently. This drives the cost up.

In a nut shell, your starting list is really good.
Perhaps the new Sony High res mic's are what you are looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hi Chris,

I'm obviously biased, but if you are looking for great off-axis response, the Milab and Pearl models with rectangular capsules are excellent choices, e.g. the Milab DC-196, DC-96C or the Pearl CC22. I don't think you will find any LDC with a circular membrane that can really compete in this area.

I wrote a short article about the off-axis response a couple of years ago: http://www.milabmic.com/content.asp?page=off-axis

/Mattias
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab View Post
Hi Chris,

I'm obviously biased, but if you are looking for great off-axis response, the Milab and Pearl models with rectangular capsules are excellent choices, e.g. the Milab DC-196, DC-96C or the Pearl CC22. I don't think you will find any LDC with a circular membrane that can really compete in this area.

I wrote a short article about the off-axis response a couple of years ago: http://www.milabmic.com/content.asp?page=off-axis

/Mattias
Hi Mattias,

I've read your article - thanks!

The DC-96C is definitely on my shortlist. I'm in Australia so I contacted Next Distribution to get a price. Are they still the Australian distributor?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab View Post
Hi Chris,

/Mattias
Could you tell me about the differences between the DC-96C and the Pearl CC22?

Also, the Priority has caught my eye!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Highly recommend the DC-96C or ELM-C; I’d love a pair of either. Bought a Priority and enjoyed it for a bit, but felt like there was a hole in the response so ended up selling it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I've been using a Milab DC96b for 30 years - cleanest off axis frequency response that I have ever come across.
If you take care with positioning, you can even get great results on solo instruments/voice in a less than ideal acoustic environment.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsmusic View Post
Hi Mattias,

I've read your article - thanks!

The DC-96C is definitely on my shortlist. I'm in Australia so I contacted Next Distribution to get a price. Are they still the Australian distributor?

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes, they are. Ask for Billy Mawer.

/Mattias
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsmusic View Post
Could you tell me about the differences between the DC-96C and the Pearl CC22?

Also, the Priority has caught my eye!

Cheers!
As you may know, Milab and Pearl were the same company until the late 70's when they were separated. Both continued to develop the rectangular capsule in different directions and the DC-96C and CC22 are the current fixed cardioid models with each brand's version of the rectangular capsule. Both the electronics and capsules are quite different, but soundwise they are hard to tell apart. The DC-96C handles a bit more SPL thanks to the pad switch, but you can't go wrong with either of them.

After Milab acquired Pearl in 2017, we've arranged a couple of workshops with both brands and have compared the DC-96C and CC22 side by side. The engineer for our last event said he couldn't hear the difference at first, but after listening to them for a while, he felt like they were like two siblings: similar, but with slightly different personalities.

There is of course also the Milab DC-196, which is virtually a multi-pattern version of the 96C with an extra layer of mesh grid.

/Mattias

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search