The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best sounding/lowest latency audio interface for use with Ableton
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Best sounding/lowest latency audio interface for use with Ableton

Hi,

First post here after being a long time browser.

I am in the market for an audio interface for use with windows 10 & ableton. I would mostly be recording in the box and outside of the computer I only have one synth to record, so number of inputs shouldn't be too much of a factor to consider. I am mostly concerned with sound quality which has to be a priority, and also lowest latency possible when used with ableton. My laptop has a usb 3 port if that helps. I am finding it impossible to decide.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyskengman View Post
I am finding it impossible to decide.
As things stand, this has the potential to become an extremely long thread, needlessly retracing some badly beaten paths.

Which interfaces have you considered, at least? You know more than anybody else does at this point.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Apogee Quartet is one to consider.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Here is the bad news. It can get really good, but it's not cheap.

Pick your protocol, then pick converters. USB, Firewire, Daunte, Thunderbolt, MADI, ADAT, AES, SPDIF, etc.....

USB is the worst for low lag (12ms+-6 range). MADI is the best for low lag(2ms+-1 range). Time for round trip in/out.

RME makes great drivers.

If you can't keep the system below about 4ms. Then you need to monitor before you hear the output from the computer of the track's being recorded.

Lag adds up: Most Daw's run at say 128 samples. Converters run 8 to 256 samples of delay. Most Softsynths want 1 more ms. It all adds up. The faster your sample rate, the less lag in direct proportion to some extent.
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses people.

I can understand why you may think this ground has been trodden before, however market standards for audio interfaces seem to change all the time, and my question is specific to my laptop (I should maybe have specified this is a Dell XPS 13 9360 with usb-c/thunderbolt 3) and as I said, specifically for mostly (but not all) in the box mixing. I scoured the GS threads for a definitive answer before I thought to pose my question.

For my budget (around £250 or less), it seems that the focusrite clarett 2pre would be a solid option, offering low latency on windows 10 through thunderbolt drivers. In the last few weeks, presonus have released their usb-c Studio line, the equivalent in size being the Studio 24c. However, it appears that latency isn't as low as it should be on those units, and they are mainly designed for recording and then monitoring, rather than low latency live recording etc.

Please fill me in if anyone can identify any serious alternatives to the clarett (which my budget dictates I will probably buy second hand from a reputable retailer), again to reiterate sound quality and low latency is the key to my heart here.

ta,

natty skeng man
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

In fact, the other thing I wanted to clarify, I maybe should have phrased my last post better. So obviously the Clarett comes in thunderbolt and usb-c modes, and it would be the latter (not thunderbolt) I would be using for my laptop, as even though it is thunderbolt 3, the 'thunderbolt' clarett (for 1&2) will not be supported etc etc, and it is the usb-c version i need. I wanted to check, as it states on the focusrite website for the thunderbolt clarett 2pre there is only "1.67 ms round-trip latency". Would this figure be similar for the newer usb-c version? If anyone has experience that would be ace.. Want to be 100% sure before I spend etc.

Effectively, if I am going to get better results from a clarett 2pre thunderbolt with a £50 apple tb adaptor than just using the usb-c clarett, then am I not better off forking out the extra for a Universal Audio Arrow?

ta x
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Effectively, if I am going to get better results from a clarett 2pre thunderbolt with a £50 apple tb adaptor than just using the usb-c clarett, then am I not better off forking out the extra for a Universal Audio Arrow?
EDIT: Sorry missed the part where you said you do have TB on the laptop so hopefully you didn't read the bit I posted before about TB not going to work for you...oops did it again ....But I would still be a little wary of the adapter working properly unless you can find reports of others using it.

Quote:
I wanted to check, as it states on the focusrite website for the thunderbolt clarett 2pre there is only "1.67 ms round-trip latency".
A theoretical minimum latency at 96k with 32 sample buffer on Mac only..doesn't mean much to you.

There are more useful test results at 44k in Tafkats thread Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base and they are not very impressive.
Or further down the page at Focusrite they have some Windows 48k figures that are perhaps a bit more enlightening.

There are some figures for the USB version here
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...e-latency.html

Last edited by stella645; 14th May 2019 at 09:40 PM..
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Check out Universal Audio's Apollo Twin Duo or Apollo Twin Quad. Note that these are Thunderbolt 2 units. Reviews are pretty stellar on these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search