The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best option to split signal out to Headphones and PA?
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Best option to split signal out to Headphones and PA?

Hi everyone,

I would like to use a Channel Strip during my rehearsals (ART Studio Channel II) and send the output to both my active speakers AND headphones.

The set up is very basic:

Mic --> Channel Strip --> Pa +headphones

As far as I know, a simple Y cable won't work...headphones are too hot.

I guess I can put a small mixer after de Channel Strip but this means another gadget to carry around...not too happy with this...

What would be my best/simpler option?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Xavier
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
What kind of rehearsal are you having if the only thing you need to hear in your headphones is the one channel coming from the strip? For a band or group rehearsal you need to hear a mix of inputs, don’t you? I would suggest an obvious answer to your question, but I don’t think your setup makes sense as stated.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
What kind of rehearsal are you having if the only thing you need to hear in your headphones is the one channel coming from the strip? For a band or group rehearsal you need to hear a mix of inputs, don’t you? I would suggest an obvious answer to your question, but I don’t think your setup makes sense as stated.
Thanks Bushman,
We play so loud and we are packed in a ver small room so I hear the other people quite well. I use headphones to protect my ears and of course to hear myself! So, to me it makes a lot of sense.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
OK, that makes sense. The simplest way I have solved this problem is with an XLR “Y” cable and a Behringer P2 personal monitor amplifier. It will last at least 15 hours on a pair of AAA batteries, it is a very small, rugged belt clip pack about as big as a snickers bar. Sounds great. The P2 and splitter are less than $50 at Sweetwater or MF.

Last edited by Bushman; 1st May 2019 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Had to specify AAA batteries
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

The system suggested doesn't have any kind of limiting, this is potentially unwise.

Alternative suggestions would depend on, among other things, which desk you're using at the PA end. More info would be useful.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
I think (thought) the preamp included a limiter or compressor, but in looking that up, I found that there is no such product as an “ART Studio Channel II”. There is a PreSonus Studio Channel II, and there are a few similar ART products.
In any case, the inclusion of a limiter in a pro in-ear situation has been a fairly common precaution. In the situation described by this poster, it is unlikely that a limiter is an affordable addition. With headphones that can be rapidly removed, and with a one-input source controlled by the listener, the lack of a limiter isn’t a giant red flag.
IMO, of course.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think (thought) the preamp included a limiter or compressor, but in looking that up, I found that there is no such product as an “ART Studio Channel II”. There is a PreSonus Studio Channel II, and there are a few similar ART products....
IMO, of course.
Ha, ha , ha your are right! My mistake! Actually I am torn between the ART Pro Channel II and the Presonus Studio Channel...therefore the confusion!

Your idea of the small amp its very good. Thanks a lot. It has a volume knob too so I can have some control.

Another question...If I use a wireless system, I guess then I will not need the small headphones amp. I think that those things have their own built in amp. I am very wrong? (hyper newbie here!)

Thanks
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
The system suggested doesn't have any kind of limiting, this is potentially unwise.

Alternative suggestions would depend on, among other things, which desk you're using at the PA end. More info would be useful.
Thanks Dhufflebeat for your input. I have no desk, signal goes straight from the Strip Channel to the active speakers.

Xavier
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatego View Post
Ha, ha , ha your are right! My mistake! Actually I am torn between the ART Pro Channel II and the Presonus Studio Channel...therefore the confusion!

Your idea of the small amp its very good. Thanks a lot. It has a volume knob too so I can have some control.

Another question...If I use a wireless system, I guess then I will not need the small headphones amp. I think that those things have their own built in amp. I am very wrong? (hyper newbie here!)

Thanks
The wireless units usually have a belt pack with a volume control and batteries, so in that case as in my suggestion you have a similar size unit to plug your headphones into. You eliminate the cable going from your channel strip to your beltpack, but you add a cable from your channel strip to your wireless transmitter. Pro wireless monitor systems are much more expensive and usually add a base unit requiring AC power to your setup.
I imagine there is a way to accomplish this with consumer Bluetooth gear, but I know zip about that technology.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Bushman,
We play so loud and we are packed in a ver small room so I hear the other people quite well. I use headphones to protect my ears and of course to hear myself! So, to me it makes a lot of sense.
It seems like you might be better off with some earplugs, which will actually protect your ears, and turning up your volume up in the PA to match the instruments.

If you get used to rehearsing with the headphones you're setting yourself up for problems down the line when you try performing without them. Your rehearsal methods should match your performance methods, as much as possible.
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks Piper, that makes a lot of sense!
Old 3rd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
It seems like you might be better off with some earplugs, which will actually protect your ears, and turning up your volume up in the PA to match the instruments.

If you get used to rehearsing with the headphones you're setting yourself up for problems down the line when you try performing without them. Your rehearsal methods should match your performance methods, as much as possible.
This is the truth of it.

I would add that a decent band or set of musicians is one that manages to balance their playing levels, instruments, tones, and arrangements so that a) everyone can hear each other and b) so can someone else listening in.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
Earplugs and turning up were a 1980s solution for everyone already being too loud. But if that’s all you can do....
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Earplugs and turning up were a 1980s solution for everyone already being too loud. But if that’s all you can do....
What would you recommend in 2019?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
What would you recommend in 2019?
Many bands in 2019, live and in rehearsal, are using in-ear monitors to get the exact mix each person wants to hear at a volume they control. I suggested the P2 as a step toward that. I’m not certain that you have the funds and technical knowledge to make that work, but it’s a goal you should work towards.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search