The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio interface and accessories
Old 25th April 2019
Here for the gear

Audio interface and accessories

Hello everyone, newbie here. Please excuse any silly questions.

Looking for a USB audio interface for recording hip hop and voice over. I have new built PC with two USB gen 2 on the rear panel and a 2011 iMac with a thunderbolt port. I purchased an MK300 that I used for $220. Couldn't find much other than someone saying it's a good mic, but requires a lot of gain. My searches keep leading me to the starlet 2i2. Then there's the scarlet solo, which is the same, but with only one mic Jack. I plan to also get a dynamic mic, but don't plan on using them at the same time. How soon I puchase will depend on how much noise I get with the MK300.

Are the 2i2 or the solo good, should I look for something higher quality?

Do i need a preamp?

When I say, I'm a newbie, I mean I've never used anything and get my info from YouTube.

Also, I just have the mic alone. I think I need a stand, cables and spit guards. Any rfecommendation?

Is there anything I'm forgetting?
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The 2i2 is a very good low cost interface. You also get quite a lot of handy bonus plugins with it
through their plugin collective program. While not everything is still available, I've actually gotten
more than 1 plugin that exceeded the cost of the interface. I have 2 of them actually, mostly
because they were cheap and readily available locally.

Anyway, not the greatest interface available, but one of the most popular and affordable. You
cant go wrong imho. Although, later on you might want more than 2 inputs and then it will
need to be kicked to the curb.

*You probably don't need a preamp, unless you want one.

Last edited by pekbro; 25th April 2019 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Addendum
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Now I gotta choose between the solo and 2i2.
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycich View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Now I gotta choose between the solo and 2i2.
i would say the
Umc 202 hd
Hell they are using a Cirrus Logic DAC and ADC, CS4272-CZZ
And a XMOS usb controller that means it is stable

I think that's enough said for a cheap audiophiles dream and plus midas preamps..
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear

UMC202HD does seem more attractive. Comes with the USB cord. I'll need to to purchase separately a XLR Male/Female cord.

Recommended monitor speakers and headphones?
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycich View Post
UMC202HD does seem more attractive. Comes with the USB cord. I'll need to to purchase separately a XLR Male/Female cord.

As far as headphones go i would recommend brainwavz HM5. I use it myself with the hybrid angular pads. And i were it for lots of hours without any heating up of my ears . And plus its pretty flat wit a little boost needed for low end

And for speakers i dont have a well treated room so haven't bought it but my friend say that any monitor 5 inch and above size will be good enough for a decent frequency response
Old 27th April 2019
Quote:
For your genre, 5" speakers will not be good, unless you get a sub with it.

If you do not intended on getting a sub, i would go with 6.5" to 8" speakers. I do not know your budget, but anything form JBL or focal will be great for you

As far as cans go, i still use my AKG K240. There great for checking mixes...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search