The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best interface for older Mac?
Old 25th April 2019
Here for the gear

Best interface for older Mac?

Recently got an I mac from a friend for free, did some upgrades and plan to use in in my writing space with DP9. I am running el capitain. Looking around I see there are lots of used firewire interfaces selling pretty cheap. Am looking at pre sonus, focusrite, apogge etc, anyone have suggestions, keeping the budget between $150 and $300?
thanks mates!
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

It kind of depends on how many I/O you need and what will be compatible with that OS and newer....what kind of Mac it is, if it’s capable of being upgraded OS-wise.... There’s a lot of old FireWire interfaces out there that have become obsolete, or will not be supported in newer OSs...el capitan is still semi-current compared to what I was thinking when I saw this thread, but no Mac has been made with a FireWire port in 7 years or so, so anything you buy for this Mac will probably not work with any newer computer you may own.
Old 26th April 2019
MOTU 828MK2 or MK3. You can get the MK2 all day long for $150-200, maybe even cheaper, and the MK3 isn't much more. The MK3 probably has the same converters and preamps, but you get an extra ADAT I/O, firewire AND USB 2, plus you get the CueMix DSP software, which gives you comps and stuff to use while tracking/monitoring. The MK2 doesn't have any of that. Ive been using a MK2 since the day they hit stores (sold my MK1 literally that day and ran to Sam Ash to buy the new one the day they got them in stock). Its STILL supported even on OS 10.14, in fact all of MOTUs firewire interfaces are, even the original 828 which was the first ever firewire audio interface (and first to support OS X too). And theyre all still working perfectly fine on newer Mac's with Apple's Firewire-Thunderbolt converters.

Mines rock solid, does its job every single day without a complaint still, on my old 2010 Mac Pro. Ive been wanting to upgrade it to the new 828ES but honestly, this one is still working perfectly so that upgrade got put waaaaay down on my list because this one still does everything I need it to and then some.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
It kind of depends on how many I/O you need and what will be compatible with that OS and newer....what kind of Mac it is, if it’s capable of being upgraded OS-wise.... There’s a lot of old FireWire interfaces out there that have become obsolete, or will not be supported in newer OSs...el capitan is still semi-current compared to what I was thinking when I saw this thread, but no Mac has been made with a FireWire port in 7 years or so, so anything you buy for this Mac will probably not work with any newer computer you may own.
Firewire to thunderbolt adapter, done.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

The MOTU 828 is probably as good a suggestion as you'll get.

For future use, I've had TB2 to Firewire adapters work fine at least with small numbers of ins and outs.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear
Apple Operating systems will run just about anything just fine without drivers through a USB port. Plug and Play.

Maybe you might lose a few features by not loading any specific drivers or software yet overall a Mac will hook up to anything trouble free through a USB port.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Firewire to thunderbolt adapter, done.
Sure, if you can write the drivers.
Old 26th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Sure, if you can write the drivers.
Well considering any firewire audio interface already has drivers, I think that part is taken care of. Its not like the adapter requires software to use on top of the interfaces driver.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
The MOTU 828 is probably as good a suggestion as you'll get.
Agree. Used one for years, and made a ton of great sounding recordings with it. Biggest problem... the lights go out. But I used it for a few years after that before it finally tanked.
Old 27th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Agree. Used one for years, and made a ton of great sounding recordings with it. Biggest problem... the lights go out. But I used it for a few years after that before it finally tanked.
HAH I forgot all about that! My original one was one of the very first batch plagued with the dead LCD. The backlight on it went out about 3 months after I bought it. I had an RMA with MOTU almost right away, but I was having so much fun with my new interface I never did send it in. I opened it up about 5 years ago and did it myself. Pulled the SMD LED off and just soldered in a full size good old green LED from Radio Shack hehe. Worked great! That 828 finally died about 3 years ago, but its replacement (bought it for about $100 haha) is still going strong (and still has a working backlight too but its a later rev model).
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Nut

You can get duets for about 60gbp. I think mine sold for about 45 on ebay. If you don't need inputs you really can not go wrong with that. Only sold it because i'm getting a UAD Apollo when I sort out my tower, can...not...wait.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

I second the duet. I picked up a cheap one on a whim and the dac is lovely and warm.
Works perfectly on the iMac late 2009. Low latency. Software synths sound lush, at 96k, almost analog. I’m impressed with the duet 1.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
Avid mbox 3 pro are good value these days.
Drivers were last updated in late 2018
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...ox-Pro-Drivers
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Nut

Saffire Pro 40 is a great option if you need the inputs. Mine has run flawlessly for years, originally with a Hackintosh and now with a 2012 Mac Mini (Mojave) via a Thunderbolt adapter.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
Saffire Pro 40 is a great option if you need the inputs. Mine has run flawlessly for years, originally with a Hackintosh and now with a 2012 Mac Mini (Mojave) via a Thunderbolt adapter.
Yep. That's what I'm running. Needed something fast and cheap, heard good things about it and it was $200. Quite satisfied with the audio quality. Saving for an Orion 32 but I plan on keeping the Pro 40 and using it as an Apple aggregate device for an extra 10 outs. Motu is also a good call, drivers are solid. Saw an FW Ensemble go for $300. For that kind of money, the world is your firewire oyster.
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks to all, soooooo, now you guys have me thinking, I have an old 2408 mk1 that I used to use with a g4 and a pci card, there is a port that looks like firewire 400 but is labeled "audio wire" I don't think they are interchangeable but maybe??
gonna have to call motu on monday
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioartist View Post
Thanks to all, soooooo, now you guys have me thinking, I have an old 2408 mk1 that I used to use with a g4 and a pci card, there is a port that looks like firewire 400 but is labeled "audio wire" I don't think they are interchangeable but maybe??
MOTU AudioWire is *not* FireWire and is *not* compatible. It's only using the same physical connector.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioartist View Post
you can use the 2408 mk1 with later mac pros.

you just need the PCI-e card, and the correct drivers.

and the correct grey audio wire cable to connect the 2408 to the motu PCI-e card.

Buddha
Old 2nd May 2019
AT that level, the Duets are good. The mix software isn't the best and it's NOT a robust unit (don't lug it around in a backpack or it WILL fall apart) but it does sound nice for the price and you can get 2nd hand cheap.

Only issue is you may have to re-attach it every time you close the computer or re-open the DAW. It doesn't stay connected.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

I'd say an Apogee Rosetta over the newer cheaper interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I was on the phone with motu the otherday and one of the beautiful things about them is that they make sure that there current drivers work with all of there old gear too. So compatability with them is great.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Sorry to high-jac, but how is the quality of MOTU stuff? Obviously they aren't as big as Focusrite or Apogee, but there stuff is very affordable used, and if the quality is there, and the sound is great. I might consider it an upgrade over my 18i8.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Motu stuff is great. Solid devices. Killer sound. Great customer service. When I called them the other day a real person answered the phone not a machine. Ive been running a 933 mhz g4 mac with 1.25gig ram a motu pci 324 card(however if going pci get the 424pcie if possible it can support 4 hardware units) 2 2408mkii units for 16 analog io. The card can support a 3rd unit and each unit can expand up to 24 analog io via tascam and adat digital io. And a UAD 1 card. While old it has served me well since 2002. In the middle of upgrading but thats another thread. However because of the service and sound quality with thia upgrade I am sticking with motu for my converters. The 16a is outstanding from all accounts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search