The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSA - "small" condenser mics on sale at MF
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

PSA - "small" condenser mics on sale at MF

I just ordered the new Sterling Audio SL230MP matched pair from Musicians Friend for $119. They seem to be $149 everywhere else.

There was only one video highlighting them but I was willing to take the chance based off of my satisfaction with some of Sterling's other mics (and I was not happy with my current SDC mics). If they suck then I'm not out much money and will keep the shockmounts or return them.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Just a quick update. The mics arrived yesterday but I didn't have a lot of time with them. I ran a quick a/b test with my digital handheld recorder against my other sdc mics. I must note that, although pencil shaped, these Sterling mics are actually just slightly larger than 1/2" technically making them "medium" diaphragm mics.

Anyway, the quick a/b test using the mics in an x/y configuration recording a Taylor Acoustic revealed these mics to have a very slightly more focused low end, a very detailed yet less harsh high end and a far richer harmonic content accompanied by a greater field of depth that was immediately evident. They also added just a little FET grit to the signal that I find very attractive in a retro sort of way. Overall, these mics were a steal at $119. Even at $150.00 I think they are a great deal. I'm happy I pulled the trigger.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search