The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beginner audio interface for guitar
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Beginner audio interface for guitar

I'm looking to replace physical amps with software, due to the multitude of features software such as GuitarRig or BiasFX offers.

Having said that, I'm looking to purchase an entry level audio interface which will be used strictly with a guitar as the input and studio monitors / headphones as the output.

What I'm looking for primarily is low to barely noticeable latency and a good performance overall.

So far I've narrowed it down to:

Scarlet Solo 2nd gen
Audient Audio ID4 ( found a used one for 100$ )
Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD

I can either get one of those mentioned above now ( or if I could get any other recommendations ) or wait and get something like a Scarlett 4i4, but I honestly dont know if it is worth the extra investment, since I will only be using one input and only need one output.

What do you guys think ?
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

I had a Scarlett 2i2 and now I have the Behringer UMC404Hd. I replaced the Scarlett because it kept dropping out (intermittent interface not found - even while using it). I use a 2015 fully updated MacBook Pro (which is compliant and requires no drivers) and the latest Logic Pro X. When I used the Scarlett for instruments I would sometimes get a hum, solved by unplugging the laptop from power and running off the battery while recording. This didn’t happen after I got a di box.

The Behringer 404HD has 4 inputs, so one of the lighter versions might suffice for your application. The 404HD also has the ability to use inserts and has midi. If you think you might ever need more inputs or midi or work with inserted outboard, this might be a consideration. I have had no issues with the Behringer and really like it’s preamps. Latency has not been an issue at all. The 404HD also has its own power supply or can be run off of usb2 power. I feel that using the power supply might help keep phantom power closer to spec than just using usb, so I use the power supply. I have no data to back this up. Since I now have di boxes I haven’t tried to instrument in without one, so I am not sure if the Behringer has the hum issue.

I have not used/ heard the audient so maybe someone else can speak to that.

And since I brought it up - as for the di boxes, I snagged a cheap passive di and it helped a bunch. If you check my studio page you can see what I have. I saw lots of references to a Countryman Type85 active and found one on eBay cheap enough to try. I like the Countryman better for what I do. Additionally, it also can run off of a 9 volt battery, so if your phantom power is weak it will be able to operate still. I have heard that passive work better on active instruments and passive instruments work better with active di. Dunno if it’s true or not, but that’s what I’ve read. I maintain both, and I do think it makes a plugged in instrument sound cleaner and more present. Sorry if you think this is a derail - wanting to give my full experience in case it might be pertinent for you.

I am also just starting to seriously work my equipment, so take that for what it’s worth.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by weave; 23rd April 2019 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Typo and spelling. Always typo and spelling... ¯\_(?)_/¯
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Nut

I also have the behringer 404 and for the money it's a great, solid box.
Before that I had a Line6, a brand specially good for guitar.
The other two you name I have no experience with.
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

@ weave @ willem1958 appreciate the feedback, it will be taken into consideration.

After some more research I have also come across the Steinberg UR22MKII as an option to the already mentioned interfaces in the first post.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

And no hum going direct in with the instrument. Other than normal single coil pickup hum.

Last edited by weave; 23rd April 2019 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

Out of your choices, I've owned the Steinberg and focusrite. The 2i2 had issues for years, but I have a PC. The Steinberg was solid. It also depends on computer, ram, and how heavy the guitar plugin is. Any interface in the $100+ range is decent nowadays. Its when you load up multiple tracks with dozens of plugins that cause issues.
Old 3rd May 2019
Quote:
What I'm looking for primarily is low to barely noticeable latency and a good performance overall.
FYI: What ever you choose, just remember that latency is also determined by your PC (MOBO - processor speed ext ext), so you can have the best sound card/interface in the land, but if your PC is not Powerful, you will not get good performance and low latency from your sound card/interface.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

I'd consider getting something with more I/O than you think you'll need. While it might seem like overkill now, it might not be down the road. I have a second gen Scarlett 2i2, and it is a pretty solid unit but I did have some latency on occasion. Ended up buying an iD22 because I needed more I/O and I haven't experienced any latency, so I'm happy with its performance. Not sure if the iD4 has the same converters as the other models though.

If you're really set on only using the interface for recording guitar, Audient has the Sono that was designed as a "guitar interface." Might blow your budget, and it's relatively new so not sure if there are many used units floating around yet. Not sure what your budget is, but the Sono is more than double the cost of an iD4 though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search