The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hs7 vs rokit 8 g3 loudness
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Nut

Hs7 vs rokit 8 g3 loudness

Is rokit 8 g3 much louder than yamaha hs7?

Also, me and my friend compared his monitors to my yamaha and found out that hs7 has a very boomy low end... Im not really happy with that...
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

You guys have recreated the "Samsonite luggage test", only with speakers instead of suitcases.

If all you're interested in is volume, why don't you just get PA speakers?

Bass booms at skull-crushing listening levels, especially in bedrooms and attic lofts. Call me amazed.
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Nut

No, we listened at low to moderate levels while testing

Im interested in loudness because i like to be able to play loud every now and then, maybe 10 percent of the time, but it plays a factor
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Head

Your room and speaker placement probably sucks as your impressions are weird. Yamaha HS7 has rolled off bass and it isn’t very dynamic. KRK Rockit prior to gen 4 with Kevlar woofers are boomy and muddy. Low volume listening will tell you nothing about the bass of a speaker due to sequel loudness contours; you can’t even hear it.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
KRK Rockit pre gen 4 with Kevlar woofers are boomy and muddy.
Do you know something about gen 4?
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teoichi View Post
YouTube
A good review of them
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Im interested in 7s or 8s, only review of 7s that i found is from guy that calls studio monitors speakers, and he does not know anything about other monitors
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
They’re a big improvement over previous Rockets but still colored. I’d take the 5” over Mackie but not over the Yamaha HS8 or the JBL LSR 305.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
They’re a big improvement over previous Rockets but still colored. I’d take the 5” over Mackie but not over the Yamaha HS8 or the JBL LSR 305.
Im interested in 7s or 8s, but can't find good review
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Nut

HS7's are not boomy in general. KRK rokkits are hyped in the lower areas, that's a well know thing, not my opinion.

What's the context of this question? Are you looking for a new pair of speakers? If you buy 2nd hand you can get great deals on stuff in a much higher tier currently. The budget speaker market has moved on a lot since those series came out, and mid range has dropped in price accordingly.
Old 27th April 2019
Quote:
Is Rokit 8 g3 much louder than Yamaha HS7?
Look at the wattage/specs of each monitor and look at their respective frequency response curve for each monitor, then you need take your room acoustics into account in accordance to their wattage and frequency response curve and you'll have your answer..
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce Direct View Post
What's the context of this question? Are you looking for a new pair of speakers?
Yes, I'm looking for a new set of speakers, but in my country are rare good used speakers, and they are sold quickly, so I'm into new ones, probably the behringer b1031a, or a new rokit 7 or 8 g4... Was just asking that question because of the wattage vs driver sizes...
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, I'm looking for a new set of speakers, but in my country are rare good used speakers, and they are sold quickly, so I'm into new ones, probably the behringer b1031a, or a new rokit 7 or 8 g4... Was just asking that question because of the wattage vs driver sizes...
The Behringer B1031A and B1030A are not bad but use harsh titanium tweeters. Avoid. If it is those or rokit g4, get KRK.

Wattage won't tell you anything. Only your own listening, loudness, and distortion measurements will. The type German magazine Sound & Recording does.

How much extension do you need? Low E on bass guitar will need the extension to 41hz and hip hop and electronic even more. 8" will extend more but be flabbier and have a less detailed midrange than the 7"
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Thank you for your response Noctambulant, i hope you have heard behringers... Im still in denial, digital stereophony channel on you tube told me that new krk 7 g4 is significantly louder than hs7, so that is another way to go...

As far as the extension is questioned, i use audio technica m50x headphones too for checking
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear
I have the HS8s, I used the Rokit 5's and a friend has the Rokit 8's which I've mixed on.

If you're getting boomy sound with the HS7 they are in the wrong place. Go learn about acoustics before spending good money on monitors as that will give you a bigger bang for the buck. First thing is get them away from the wall, you should be sitting about 1/3 of the way into the room while mixing and the speakers at an equilateral triangle with your head. You probably also need to add some bass traps to your room, even some old pillows tacked up or bookshelves full of paperbacks or vinyl records in the corners of the room would help.

That said, my experience with Rockits is that I think they are awesome for playback to the musician/band - they have a great sound for that. The HS7/8's are flatter and less flattering (see what I did there )

When I was deciding on which speakers to move up to, I spent several hours demoing a ton of different monitors with tunes I know. The speakers I checked out included KRKs, Adams, Dynaudio, Tannoy, Genlec etc. They ranged from cheap to moderately expensive ($2000 each) - the Yamahas we're the best bang for the buck.

They're still not perfect, but better than many - crisper and more accurate sound than some, not as much as others, but less difference in sound from the high prices than from the low prices. I ran the demo of sonarworks and yes, I could hear a difference. I may yet buy that software. But looking and the before/after charts, the HS8s were not really that far from ideal.

PS - getting max loudness is a poor way to choose speakers - you shouldn't be mixing for extended periods at high volumes. 85db is - to many mixers - an ideal level as the bass is neither overly hyped nor overly muted (learn about the Fletcher Munson Curve). Some mixers have different feeling about that specific loudness, but all the good ones seem to agree you need to save your hearing or you'll soon not be able to hear well enough to mix.

Last edited by Hardwire; 30th April 2019 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: added PS
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

I don't mix at high volume, i just like to listen to music at high volume, sometimes, but i work at lower volume. Thanks for your reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search